PDA

View Full Version : DIY Nand-x usb update cable?

figless
5th November 11, 06:31
Hello,

I would like to make my own update cable for my nand-x, in order to update it to the v3 nandpro code.

I have a pl2303 usb2serial cable which I am happy to butcher for this purpose.

I have looked at the pin out thread here (https://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73165) however as this is based on the ck3 i'm a little confused as to how to adapt it to a db9 rs232 serial cable.

Has anyone made a usb nandx update cable? Anyone care to share any information regarding this?

deose
5th November 11, 09:10
Save yourself the hassle, put the $10 or whatever it will end up being towards getting the real deal from TX. Come on man, support the people who make this for you. How do you think they get funding to keep the modding scene alive?

green_fingers
5th November 11, 10:50
I am also interested in finding out how to do this
And Deose, just because we want to make our own cable does not mean we do not support TX

CarolinaGamer
5th November 11, 19:12
Also the cables are not out yet either, here is what you need to know.

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73165&highlight=update+nandx

Looks like the cables will be out next Monday.

CG

figless
6th November 11, 00:42
CG - that was the same link i posted in my initial post. That link is very ck3 centric, even though it does mention that its possible to use a usb2serial cable I don't feel as though the instructions are entirely clear...

I'm guessing that the pinout would be the same as the 3rd part of this image (http://team-xecuter.com/jf/ck3_to_nandx.gif)

IE; on a db9 serial connector, connect the wires to the following pins on the nandx

1 TXD
2 RXD
5 GND
6 3.3V
7 ISP

Then power the nandx with its own usb power... ?

Can anyone confirm this?

mespo365
6th November 11, 02:14
It's the perfect excuse to buy the ck3i!! Xecuter provided pictures of all the cabling required to update the nandx via the ck3i, as well as programming the coolrunner via nandx

green_fingers
6th November 11, 11:17
Hmmmm, seems people dont want us to make our own USB cables

dec0y7
6th November 11, 11:28
Hmmmm, seems people dont want us to make our own USB cables

just to point out that this is a TEAM XECUTER support forum and not a diy forum, they are kind enough to tell everyone that it can be done but no support will be given by the team with diy projects.

just my my opinion :)

support the team and get a project that have been tested and confirmed working and that is cheap enough for anyone to buy

green_fingers
6th November 11, 11:38
just to point out that this is a TEAM XECUTER support forum and not a diy forum, they are kind enough to tell everyone that it can be done but no support will be given by the team with diy projects.

just my my opinion :)

support the team and get a project that have been tested and confirmed working and that is cheap enough for anyone to buy

Just to point out that i can read. I DO support the team by buying their products but why buy a cable for 12 inc P&P
when i can make 4 for that. Just a bit of common sense :)

MightyShots
6th November 11, 11:50
It doesnt matter if its a TX forum or not, they dont mind helpin someone out especially for a 8 cable, i think you might wana post in another area as i dont think they will help, or most of them anyway. I dont do these cables myself so i dont understand them sorry mate

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OilyD
6th November 11, 11:52
Just to point out that i can read. I DO support the team by buying their products but why buy a cable for 8 inc P&P
when i can make 4 for that. Just a bit of common sense :)

I see where your coming from,if you can make it for less than why not.Plus you get that feeling of having made something yourself :cool2:

veen2010
6th November 11, 11:54
This is the one i made, works like a charm and didn't cost me anything.

http://i42.tinypic.com/16a9l53.jpg

green_fingers
6th November 11, 11:55
It doesnt matter if its a TX forum or not, they dont mind helpin someone out especially for a 2 cable, i think you might wana post in another area as i dont think they will help, or most of them anyway. I dont do these cables myself so i dont understand them sorry mate

I didnt think they would give a t0ss either. People keep saying 2 or $2 but the cable is 8.95 ($12.95), i for one am not paying that for a cable
Thanks anyway Bud
:)

veen2010
6th November 11, 11:58
I didnt think they would give a t0ss either. People keep saying 2 or $2 but the cable is 8.95 ($12.95), i for one am not paying that for a cable
Thanks anyway Bud

If you need any help, let me know.

MightyShots
6th November 11, 12:00
Nah the usb to coolruuner or usb to nand-x which ever is 8.95 and because i have nand x and ck3i i only need the two cheaper ones, if you was trying to make something at 20 that tx sell i would be able to see their point, but its only a cable!? There are some instructions floating around how to make one i think, but as long as you know the TX ones are bound to be better but i dont see the harm in trying your own :)

green_fingers
6th November 11, 12:17
If you need any help, let me know.

You have made the one from Nand-x to CK3i. I need to make USB to Nand -x, if you could shed any light on this it would be great :wink:

demitrix
8th November 11, 03:26
I would like to know this also as the nand-x usb cable is the only product that isn't available for order yet.

Ubergeek
8th November 11, 04:55
This is the one i made, works like a charm and didn't cost me anything.

Link To Image (http://i42.tinypic.com/16a9l53.jpg)

thats not the cable he is talking about

he is talking about the USB to NAND-X cable which negates the need to buy / use a CK3i or CK3 Pro.

We sell these specially designed cables for $12.95

at the end of the day we're a business not a charity.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

i for one am not paying that for a cable
Thanks anyway Bud

You don't have to buy anything

CarolinaGamer
8th November 11, 05:05
Guys xconsoles just got the cables in, save your self the time and trouble and just buy the $4 cable, you can not build one for cheaper the connectors by themselves will cost as much as the entire cable. Hell I couldn't even find the connectors, and I was just wanting to make one until the official ones was released. Just like teh QSB's I can solder them things all day, but choose the QSB's for the most part because they are easier and faster to install.

I'm all for DIY look at my ribbon cables, but I'm also what ever is the easiest, and thats why I use the ribbon cables alls the time, but some times just buying the right stuff is easier and this is one of those times.

CG

WalangAlam
8th November 11, 05:28
Ya you don't need to resolder your wires if you will update your dash later unless you leave them there. With qsb, you just plug then update your nand. But then the op is referring to usb to nand-x cable.

Waiting for ck3pro to nand-x and nand-x to cr... Hope tx will put it to front page when this becomes available. Still out of stock at MT:frown:

CarolinaGamer
8th November 11, 05:48
Ya you don't need to resolder your wires if you will update your dash later unless you leave them there. With qsb, you just plug then update your nand. But then the op is referring to usb to nand-x cable.

Waiting for ck3pro to nand-x and nand-x to cr... Hope tx will put it to front page when this becomes available. Still out of stock at MT:frown:

Xconsoles.com has them now, I just bought some like an hour ago, when the coolrunner was out of stock, now it's back in stock, so I have to make another order or get it added on,

CG

noipi
9th November 11, 14:42
where did you put the "RST" from nand-x pin to ck3 dvd??

veen2010
9th November 11, 15:40
where did you put the "RST" from nand-x pin to ck3 dvd??

you don't.:wink:

Ubergeek
9th November 11, 17:09
Xconsoles.com has them now, I just bought some like an hour ago, when the coolrunner was out of stock, now it's back in stock, so I have to make another order or get it added on,

CG

You don't have to order anything I told you that you were being sent a full care package. Should be with you today.

noipi
10th November 11, 06:25
really have to update my nand-x. Got my DVD cable from an old xbox and spare cable from nand-x to be modified.

haha, got it working now to new nandpro 3.0 ;) ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/noizapanta/IMG0163A.jpg

**camera from an old cellphone just to upload :)

WNYConsoles
10th November 11, 23:02
Cables should have been available on the same day as the CoolRunner. I had to place 3 separate orders to secure 12 CoolRunners and the cables. Now I have the CoolRunners but no way to use them until my third shipment comes in with the cables.

gargoyle67
14th November 11, 16:15
Cables should have been available on the same day as the CoolRunner. I had to place 3 separate orders to secure 12 CoolRunners and the cables. Now I have the CoolRunners but no way to use them until my third shipment comes in with the cables.
Have to agree with this, It's like shipping a car without the engine, I've had to make another order for the usb update cable which isn't in stock until 22nd Nov, Got a nice looking Nand-X plus 2x coolrunners I can't do anything with at the moment:facepalm: Not a biggie though as I don't plan on doing the mod until I'm off over the xmas period, Luckily I noticed I needed to update the Nand-X before I could use it on the Coolrunners through as I'm still making sure I have all the necessary info before I attempt the mod :)

Looking at noipi's post with pic, is the usb update cable just to supply extra power to the Nand-x then ? I thought it was to flash the Nand-X FW v3, or is it a combination of the two> usb update cable for extra power and the usb that comes with Nand-X for the programming the V3 FW ? :confused:

djxxx
15th November 11, 15:44
Maybe they had trouble getting hold of the connectors...the only place I found them were in Hong Kong....

Uzi
17th November 11, 15:33
1st post in 6 years of joining this site
i lurk quietly but i think its time i say something too lol

i read uber said the cable was gonna be on sale on monday last week or a few days ago...
no store any where has got these yet but every one yelling to buy it.. show me what place has these even in stock

even xconsoles gave me a hard time when i asked if the nandx comes with v3 code on it ud figer instead of being money hungry they should atleast update their nandx only takes 3 minutes and in those 3 minutes they prolly had already made over 500$ :facepalm:

foundmy- usb cable not listed
mrmodchips uk (im u.s) -pre order expected 11.22.11
modchip ca - no pre order -expected 11.30.11
modchipcentral no pre order no date
acidmods not listed
modtraders -no pre order no date
ck3 co -no pre order no date
gamefreax- not listed
ozmodchips -not listed
xconsoles -waiting site down

joelj
17th November 11, 15:41
Have to agree with this, It's like shipping a car without the engine, I've had to make another order for the usb update cable which isn't in stock until 22nd Nov, Got a nice looking Nand-X plus 2x coolrunners I can't do anything with at the moment:facepalm: Not a biggie though as I don't plan on doing the mod until I'm off over the xmas period, Luckily I noticed I needed to update the Nand-X before I could use it on the Coolrunners through as I'm still making sure I have all the necessary info before I attempt the mod :)

Looking at noipi's post with pic, is the usb update cable just to supply extra power to the Nand-x then ? I thought it was to flash the Nand-X FW v3, or is it a combination of the two> usb update cable for extra power and the usb that comes with Nand-X for the programming the V3 FW ? :confused:

The components to make the cable are pretty easy to find. They are found in e-bay try searching "2.54mm Crimp Housing" but if possible the best solution is to buy the TX cable....

gargoyle67
17th November 11, 17:56
but if possible the best solution is to buy the TX cable....
:facepalm: out of stock.....Everywhere
I have actually got the bits to make a cable but I can't be arsed making a cable hoping it works then buggering about with an lpt port which I only have on one of my old pc's. Like I said above by the time I get round to modding my 360 my update cable should have arrived(hopefully). But that's not really the point of the thread, Cable should be available same time as the coolrunners, it's like shipping you a pc without the software :rolleyes2:

Dragon Slair
18th November 11, 03:54
I've definatly have the materials and most of the know how but it's worth the wait to get TX quality. I've got a nandX and 4 CoolRunners and all the QSB's waiting on that USB to NandX cable. Thanks for the great work team Xecuter! (But havin a car with no engine sucks) lol ;)

DeeX
18th November 11, 21:00
I've definatly have the materials and most of the know how but it's worth the wait to get TX quality. I've got a nandX and 4 CoolRunners and all the QSB's waiting on that USB to NandX cable. Thanks for the great work team Xecuter! (But havin a car with no engine sucks) lol ;)

How does one do a DIY update cable... by any means.. usb or lpt. Im in a bind and I need to make one.

I do have a store near me that carries alot of electronics that normally wouldnt be in a brick n morter store.

If anyone knows please help.

KoniLita
26th November 11, 16:16
Same here, bought nandx at mrmodchip and got him 2 weeks ago with old armv2. try to read my nand on 3 different computers - no luck. Have only red light on my nandx. Read forum already 2 weeks, tryed different usb cables,ports, resolder cables stright and with pins,jtagTool/NandPro...etc - no luck. like i've understand my nandx must be updated.
Tryed salfmade LPT to read nand - works from the 1 time,but damn slow(Jasper 256 took more than 24h reading+5 errors for only first nand reading), i'll kill someone if i must read it again few times.
So only one way is waiting again xx days or weeks for usb-nandx update cable, and still no warranty if my nandx will work (only red light,nothing in device manager and i tryed almost everything that i can find on this forum). Same issue like in http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54717

gargoyle67
26th November 11, 16:39
So only one way is waiting again xx days or weeks for usb-nandx update cable, and still no warranty if my nandx will work (only red light,nothing in device manager and i tryed almost everything that i can find on this forum). Same issue like in http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54717

I had the same issue regarding nand-x not showing in device manager\Not being detected, I also bought mine from Mr Modchips, It seems he ships them blank I.E no firmware on them. Once you get a cable and flash the firmware on the Nand-X it will work fine.
http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75835

bandit123
26th November 11, 16:48
uber has made a schematic and its flawless i did mine made a ck3i to nand x and a nand x to cool runner works perfect now

KoniLita
26th November 11, 16:50
Same here, bought nandx at mrmodchip and got him 2 weeks ago with old armv2. try to read my nand on 3 different computers - no luck. Have only red light on my nandx. Read forum already 2 weeks, tryed different usb cables,ports, resolder cables stright and with pins,jtagTool/NandPro...etc - no luck. like i've understand my nandx must be updated (from this Uber answer http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=278690&postcount=13).
Tryed salfmade LPT to read nand - works from the 1 time,but damn slow(Jasper 256 took more than 24h reading+5 errors for only first nand reading), i'll kill someone if i must read it again few times.
Look forward to repear it,update arm with FlashMagic but there is no Tutorials(
Think it will help many!!! people with nandx, thanks.

Ubergeek
26th November 11, 17:09
No tutorials ?

You are drunk or blind or both.

Ubergeek
26th November 11, 17:09
uber has made a schematic and its flawless i did mine made a ck3i to nand x and a nand x to cool runner works perfect now

And this is what happens when you do it right .....

gargoyle67
26th November 11, 17:19
@Konilita,
:facepalm:Did you even read my post, Odds are your Nand-x has no firmware on it, So you will only get a red light with no detection from usb, When you get your update cable and program it you will get it to detect in device manager. It's not broken it just needs a firmware on it,
There is a tut if you spend time to look:
http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74259

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

No tutorials ?

my bet is both :tongue:

josh1095
27th November 11, 00:21
i just bought a nandx that ships with the v3.0 code already loaded. i, along with others, could not find the nandx to usb but i think im correct in saying that if the nandx is already 3.0 i should be able to use it FOR NOW to do the rgh/ggbuild etc... if you ordered one a few weeks ago then ur kind of screwed cuz they were shipping with the old v2 or something, correct? ill just keep checking the vendors for the usb to nandx cable, ill bet i get it before i actually need it.
im guessing i would need to update the nandx if a new dash comes out or something like that?

KoniLita
27th November 11, 01:58
No tutorials ?

Uber, i'll give you a drink if you show me tutorial to make usb > nand-x cable, can't find it, i don't need other tuts i've read them many times. If you think that im noob here - you make a misstake (started to solder from first PlayStation, had 100+ old Xbox with great modchip from TX) But now i already bought many stuff and still can't get to finish line with xbox, still waiting usb cable .
Uber,can i update nandx throught lpt? thx

I had the same issue regarding nand-x not showing in device manager\Not being detected, I also bought mine from Mr Modchips, It seems he ships them blank I.E no firmware on them. Once you get a cable and flash the firmware on the Nand-X it will work fine.
http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75835

Hi gargoyle67, thanks for your first answer, i didn't saw it, my double post too (sorry for that) Now im sure that my nandx is blank, can stop now with resolder and recheck all connections. Don't want to buy CK3 only for nandx one minute update. Thanks anyway

i just bought a nandx that ships with the v3.0 code already loaded. i, along with others, could not find the nandx to usb but i think im correct in saying that if the nandx is already 3.0 i should be able to use it FOR NOW to do the rgh/ggbuild etc... if you ordered one a few weeks ago then ur kind of screwed cuz they were shipping with the old v2 or something, correct? ill just keep checking the vendors for the usb to nandx cable, ill bet i get it before i actually need it.
im guessing i would need to update the nandx if a new dash comes out or something like that?

If your nandx is v3,you can use them direct to read/write nand and coolrunner. i bought my nandx at mrModchip on 20/10, got all first stuff on 14/11. They said that nandx was flashed with latest firmware, but (thanks to gargoyle67) it was blank. Normally there is only one update from v2 to v3 for CoolRunner, but never say never So i've bought second stuff (update cables and more coolrunners) on 16/11 and my eta date is on 29/11 (already changed few times), lost 2 clients that was waiting for jtag couse of eta date and still hope make it before christmas

ccfman2004
29th November 11, 01:34
I too am looking for a DIY USB to Nand-X update cable as that is the only thing keeping me from glitching my 360.