PDA

View Full Version : setting up external hardrive for rgh

skater411
7th January 12, 21:23
hi i was wondering how i would get this type of hard drive to work on my rgh slim
Western Digital Elements 3TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAU0030HBK-NESN

i try to formated it with the xbox 360 it does not work

AMIT
7th January 12, 21:27
is that drive shows on your 360 and was it formatted to fat32 ?

Martin C
7th January 12, 21:30
hi i was wondering how i would get this type of hard drive to work on my rgh slim
Western Digital Elements 3TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAU0030HBK-NESN

i try to formated it with the xbox 360 it does not work

I'm sure there's more information on what you did and what error you got. Why be so vague?

namyarb3
7th January 12, 21:30
The drive needs to be formatted to FAT32. And you need to set up FSD paths to see it.

skater411
7th January 12, 21:37
says it can't preformed this action

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

so it need to be formated fat32 how do i got about formated 3 tb hardrive to fat32 . window is not letting me

Martin C
7th January 12, 21:39
Go through it slowly - you're connecting the HDD to the console. Then what?

If the Xbox won't format it, then EASEUS Partition Manager will. It's a free download.

keil423
7th January 12, 21:39
His computer wants to format it to NTSF. He used a downloaded program to creat a partion on fat32 format. He then plugs it into the xbox and tries to format to the xbox and it says it cant. I have no idea what his problem is. I guess I'd say try to completely format the drive to fat32 and see if it works then.

I guess I thought these external drives were allready formated to Fat32 off the shelf.

jsinger47
7th January 12, 21:40
Use a program like guiformat. Or use the xbox....

skater411
7th January 12, 21:43
yeah it want formated hardrive that biggger then 32 gb so i read on wd form

AMIT
7th January 12, 21:45
Format external drive in FAT32 using DOS

Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

(http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/commandprompt.png)
Now type in the following command at the prompt:
format /FS:FAT32 X:
Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

Hope This Helps.....

(http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/formatexternalharddrivefat32.png)

Turdfurgeson82
7th January 12, 21:47
I used guiformat to make mine fat32

Martin C
7th January 12, 21:49
OP - all these tools posted by others! Were you able to find any of them before asking for help?

bonkers1973
7th January 12, 21:49
im afraid from my own experience you cant use a 3tb external as even after it is formatted in fat 32 and the games are loaded and path set you just get an error saying game cant load i tried for a few hours with my friends and my xbox 1 rgh the other a jtag and it just wouldnt work ...i googled it till my eyes bled and still no further forward then found a thread that stated it wouldnt work after the size of 2.5tb something to do with the way the drive is seen ...i used acronis disk director to format the whole drive into fat 32 ...tried partitioning it into 2tb ...and still it wouldnt work for me ........the error was just a generel error no code given ....

skater411
7th January 12, 21:52
So What a good drive that will work

bonkers1973
7th January 12, 21:56
anything thats below 2.5tb formatted into fat32 and xbox should reconize it

skater411
7th January 12, 22:04
will this work http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5388044&CatId=2422

bonkers1973
7th January 12, 22:04
this is the thread i found that told me it wouldnt work .....

"I don't know a lot about jtag but for PC anything over 2.19TB uses a GPT table, under that it is supported by BIOS and uses MBR. GPT and MBR are tables at the beginning of the drive that know where everything is stored (to what cluster a program begins and ends, exactly where it is). Think of it as an index or address book to your HDD. BIOs does not recognize GPT indexing. EFI is used over top of bios or instead of bios. Xbox motherboards are before the times that EFI or UEFI was released there for, they will not support EFI meaning no GPT table support. Some of you that are having problems may want to look into it as your HDD is possibaly set to use GPT.

I do not have time to test on a real PC. to change this you can use the 'admin tools'. hit windows key or click start and type 'admin tools' then hit enter. click computer management - storage - disk management(local)) delete the partition/volume or partitions/volumes of that specific HDD, right click on the HDD and you have the option to convert, if you do not it is most likely because your motherboard does not support GPT (your running on BIOS and most likely your motherboard if to old to support EFI or just does not have it setup, setting up EFI is not simple so do not just think you can download and install it, if you want to see if you can install it, do your research very well first).

This may help, just maybe.

just remember MBR = good. GPT = bad, this must be set before making the final partition. then you may choose what format (file system) you want FAT32, NTFS or what ever, remember partition can not be more than 2.19TB or it will not be recognized using the MBR

if you can not perform this task on your own system try using a friends if it is modern or just go to a store selling modern computers and use theirs ;) "

i tried this on my pc but it wouldnt do it so in the end gave up and stuck with my 1 tb

"the size is besides the point, its the table that matters in this theory, go to the disk management.
right click on your HDD and see if you have the option to 'convert'

it is most likely computers that already have EFI and support over 2.19TB will automatically set the drive to use GPT. the "convert options allows you to change that to MBR or vise visor."

if you do find a way please let me know how you did it :):)

AMIT
7th January 12, 22:05
will this work http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5388044&CatId=2422
Yes....... Think So !

bonkers1973
7th January 12, 22:07

would presume so after it is formatted to fat32 by a third party program ie any of the above mentioned or fat32formatter which is also free

keil423
7th January 12, 23:18
Format external drive in FAT32 using DOS

Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

(http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/commandprompt.png)
Now type in the following command at the prompt:
format /FS:FAT32 X:
Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

Hope This Helps.....

(http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/formatexternalharddrivefat32.png)

I'm useing this method to format his HDD for him. I thought it wasnt working as its hung up on 0percent completed. I did a google search to find more info and it seeems like its just a very long process. Another guy said it took about 5 hours to format a 500G drive to fat 32. Hopefully it works for Skater.

The drive was off the shelf programed to NTFS format. I guess this is standard with new system so they must be doing the same with addon drives as well.

Martin C
7th January 12, 23:26
I'm useing this method to format his HDD for him. I thought it wasnt working as its hung up on 0percent completed. I did a google search to find more info and it seeems like its just a very long process. Another guy said it took about 5 hours to format a 500G drive to fat 32. Hopefully it works for Skater.

The drive was off the shelf programed to NTFS format. I guess this is standard with new system so they must be doing the same with addon drives as well.

That's because it's a full format and not needed.

EASEUS would have had this done correctly in 5 mins.

Right tool for the job n all that.

Krafter
7th January 12, 23:32
That's because it's a full format and not needed.

EASEUS would have had this done correctly in 5 mins.

Right tool for the job n all that.

EASEUS is the best partitioning tool out there. Easy to use and does a fantastic job. Highly recommended.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

skater411
7th January 12, 23:40
ok i formated it fat32 it says can't perform action there was a problem performing that action when i try format it with the 360

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

just use that program an i got that error do yall need a picture ?

namyarb3
7th January 12, 23:57
If it's FAT32 now, why re-format it with the xbox? Use FAT32 and run through FSD.
Size limit may be another story. I've never used bigger than 1TB.

n1ght0wl
8th January 12, 00:05
If it's FAT32 now, why re-format it with the xbox? Use FAT32 and run through FSD.
Size limit may be another story. I've never used bigger than 1TB.
ive just set up my 1TB hard drive for my RGH slim, and i got the xbox to format it to use 16gb so it stores profiles etc.

skater411
8th January 12, 00:05
how do i got about putting free style dash on my 360

Martin C
8th January 12, 00:08
Thread closed as original issue now answered.

how do i got about putting free style dash on my 360

You can read the stickys - there's a good start.