Replies: 37
    Last Post: 16th February 11, 23:32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Skill Level
    Elite
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,801 Times in 1,595 Posts

Smile Disassembling the Xbox 360 Slim

To get into the Xbox 360 you’ll need pretty much the same tools you needed to get into the old one. A flat head screwdriver helps, preferably one with a long, thin stem to help you pry bits of the case apart. You’ll need a torx driver with T8 bit.

As always, proceed at your own risk - we're not responsible for any damage to your console that happens as a result of following these instructions. Also know that proceeding with this will surely void your warranty from Microsoft.

You can check a 1080P video made by our friend "Stefanounick" of the entire process outlined below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCae2dN59w[/ame]

1. First remove the 2.5" hard drive. To get to it just pull back on a couple of the fins which will let you remove a part of the cover:

2. Yanking on the black ribbon will pull out the hard drive itself.

3. Next we have two plastic grates on the left and right of the system that pop right off. They are attached using clips along their edges so work one part out with your flat head driver and just pull the rest off.

4. The side without the hard drive pops out just as easy. I used the thin screwdriver to prize up one end of the plastic grate and pulled it the rest out with my fingers. Be careful not to scratch the case.

5. This next part is the first of two hard parts. Removing the two plastic grates will reveal two more black plastic covers. You can wedge your flathead between the plastic cover and the rest of the system and pry it off.

TIP

TIP: Some users remove the chrome surrounds without taking out these black plastic covers - so you could always skip parts 5, 6, 7 & 8 and go straight to removing the chrome bezels (Note: some slims that are refurbs have the matt black plastic case and the bezels are black not chrome) - all you have to do it unclip one side of the black plastic cover to reveal the chrome bezel clips so you simply unclip one side then the rest should pull out easily. I only include these separate parts of the tutorial so you can actually see what each piece looks like

6. The cover is attached to the system by several plastic stands that fit through little holes behind them. The stands are wider at their outer most edge than they are at the base, too wide to just fit through the hole.

7. Stick your screwdriver in one of the cutouts and pry away. You’ll see a lot of flexing and then hear a pop, once you hear one move to the next portion of the plastic cover. Do this around the edge until the entire cover is removed. Repeat for the other side of the 360.

8. Now you’ve got line of sight into the system itself. Great. At this point you can also remove the 802.11n wireless card which is held in place by a single screw. Remove the T8 screw and the card slides right out. It is just plugged into an internal USB port.

9. Now we have to remove the two chrome surrounds on either side of the system. These are attached via clips that can be tempted loose using that trusty flat head screwdriver. Wedge it between the clip and the rest of the chassis and push away from the chassis:

10. Some clips will give way easily, others will take some coercion. Some of the clips are only accessible via a very tiny, very long flat head. Start with the clips you know you can get off and then try to pry the tough ones later.

11. You’ve got 6 on one side and 5 on the other chrome lip, the shots below should help you.

12. With the two chrome surrounds removed we’re now at the second most difficult part of dissecting the new Xbox 360. Remember these little things:

13. Yep, they’re back.

On the old 360 you at least had a removable face plate and some insight into what was going on at the rear of the system. This time around you can only look in at the sides..

Thankfully I know exactly how many clips you have to break free: three on the back and eight on the front.

If you start on the back then the front clips disconnect from the front faceplate very easily. You need to access clips at both the left and ride side of the Xbox 360. On the left side where there are two clips, one of them is hidden so you will find many reports of people having trouble with this clip and actually snap parts iof the case trying to remove it. The solution is actually REALLY simple. The secret to opening without breaking the clips is to release the first clip with a screw driver and then access the hidden tab by poking a hole in the sticker so you can push in a straightened paperclip as a poker or really small screwdriver to release the bottom tab. The case then easily pulls apart

14. The only advice I can give you here is to be patient, persistent and have a good flathead screwdriver at your side. Once you’ve pried these clips free the front will separate from the rest of the system.

15. Be careful when removing the front of the system. There’s a ribbon cable that connects the 360‘s power button to the rest of the system, you have to remove it before you can proceed. In my original teardown the ribbon cable just ripped right out of its connector without any problems so if this happens to you, you should be ok.

16. The ribbon connector attaches here. With the front removed, separate the clips on the back and the top cover of the 360’s should lift right off exposing what we have below:

17. Now look at the side of the Xbox with the white sticker on it, you only need to remove the 5 black T8 screws (one of them is actually hidden under the white Xbox 360 sticker. It looks like Microsoft has done a lot to figure out whether or not you’ve opened this thing. Modders don’t make Microsoft happy. RRoD didn’t make me happy. Modders ftw).

I could now pull off the bottom cover leaving me with this:

18. The DVD drive lifts right out and you can disconnect the power and SATA cables from the unit easily just like on the older models.

19. This is a newer version of the Lite-On drive. The new DG16-D4S. Microsoft also outfitted the drive with a strip of rubber to help dampen vibration:

And that's it

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

Skill Level
    Mostly JTAG, but also RROD, flashing and homebrew
    Thanks

Re: Disassembling the Xbox 360 Slim

Your tutorials are the best, thanks mate!
    Make modding simple for yourself. Read the stickys, use the search function, and make it easy for you to be helped by giving details and READING THE FORUM RULES!

Make sure to use the Thanks button or give rep+ to thank any post, you may find useful.
    READ THIS BEFORE POSTING ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT AP2.5 AND LT+!
    (Read it again if you already did, cause it has probably been updated)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jfelding For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    REPAIRS,REPAIRS,REPAIRS
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,339 Times in 2,651 Posts

nice one.

OUR STORE:

BGA Mods Store

Join our rework support forum:

BGA Mods Forum

Professional Iphone & Samsung Repair Service:

LCD Splitters

The Following User Says Thank You to BGAMods For This Useful Post:

Devon uk, hacking one farmers xbox at a time and a few inbreds too! ;)
    Skill Level
    Pc, wii, Gamecube, PSP, PS3, xbox & xbox360 - All consoles.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,128 Posts

You beat me to it!
    I was knocking up a little guide but mine was cack compared to this one

Ohh BTW it looks like you moisturise your hands well there "X"
    Massive thanks to Xecuter and all staff, Im still on twitter @MrTeajunkie.
    I NO LONGER REPAIR CONSOLES ONLY DRIVES.

Skill Level
    Playing Games!
    Thanks

Nice tutorial!
    That will make it much easier and I don't have to be scared of breaking things.

Thanks!

Skill Level
    Troubleshooting People
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 391 Posts

nice one.. I wouldn't had done it any better... Although there is no need to remove the black plastic covers to take off the chrome surrounds. They can be taken off the same way regardless the black plastic covers...
    • The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware engineer with a software patch, and a user with an idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanounick For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Elite
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,801 Times in 1,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stefanounick View Post
    nice one.. I wouldn't had done it any better... Although there is no need to remove the black plastic covers to take off the chrome surrounds. They can be taken off the same way regardless the black plastic covers...
    Added that tip to the guide - thanks
    PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

Skill Level
    pro
    Thanks

a tutorial by xecuter
    great one!!anyone wouldn't had done it any better
    nice pic and explain~there u go ~

Skill Level
    modder and im on my way to pro modder. lol
    Thanks

xecuter make everything look easier.thanks guys for this nice tutorial.

Skill Level
    Playing
    Thanks

Great guide! Thanks

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Newbee
    Thanks

On the back side, if you take off the sticker next to the power supply (the one that says the S/N, M/S etc) you will find a small hole. So if you unplug the 2 clips that have easy access and the first clip on the other side and you put a niddle into that hole, the cover will pop up super easy. After that
    I removed first the T8 screws, that way the bottom cover comes out and the cover of the xbox's "face" gets totally free without the need of forcing its
    clips to open. Sorry for my bad english

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

nice video mate very detailed
    dont forget to say thanks and give +rep it only take a second

drive flashing pm for info manchester (ashton-under-lyne) area

Skill Level
    Troubleshooting People
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 391 Posts

Thanks guys, it took me ages to make it, edit it, render it, and upload it to youtube..
    So thanks!!!
    • The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware engineer with a software patch, and a user with an idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stefanounick For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    advanced
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefanounick View Post
    Thanks guys, it took me ages to make it, edit it, render it, and upload it to youtube..
    So thanks!!!
    Excellent video tutorial, MODERATORS can you please sticky this tut and move it to video tutorials? alot of people will be using this when the Firmware is released

thanks

dale

Skill Level
    Unkown
    Thanks

Great video, Nick.
    Very detailed, very clear (1080p),could see where you were putting the flathead, you were explaining everything as you went on, the English was quite understandable, and if I watched the video with muted sound I'd understand what you're doing and what you're trying to explain, you made it look very easy and safe for those that have a slim and are afraid to open it.
    A recommended video to be moved to the "Xbox 360 Video Tutorials" section, as I don't see people making an easier clearer one.

Thanks, and +Rep for the effort.

Skill Level
    Supply of Monster Dildos
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 805 Posts

Excellent video.

I wish opeing mine was that easy when I done it.

BANNED
    Skill Level
    General modding
    Thanks

Great tut! ive been looking for a vid like this!

Skill Level
    Playing Games!
    Thanks

Nice tutorial! Very easy to follow particularly for the people who have been scared or worried about opening their 360.

Good one.
    Remember: If anyone helps +1 Rep and a is always appreciated!

Skill Level
    Flashing xbox 360 drivers!!
    Thanks

Amazing Tutorial! Thnx again
    Press button if i ever helped you

Flashed 300+ Xbox 360 drives!

Thanks to Team Jungle, Team Xecuter for making this possible!

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    RPGs
    Thanks

Awesome!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast