2. Lost nand key but have original nand dump
    By dil_king in forum Xbox 360 JTAG Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th September 12, 17:34
  3. Overwrote original NAND, falcon
    By mccon in forum RGH / JTAG 4 Noobs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th June 12, 13:19
  4. How do I restore my original nand with nand-x to remove e79 error?
    By sk8man124 in forum Xbox 360 JTAG Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31st March 11, 19:01
  5. Nand Help I want to put original nand back PLEASE!!
    By rideblue151 in forum The Noob Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th February 11, 04:04
    Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Repairs, BGA Reballing, Mods, Computer Repair, Mobile Phone Repair, Minor Electronics Repairs
    Thanks

RGH overwrote original NAND with ECC'd NAND

Hi all, I made a very stupid mistake today. I was doing the RGH on a Zephyr and it would not glitch no matter what I tried. Routed wires every different way, tried capacitor b/w A and ground, tried shielded cable, nothing would work.

I know my wiring is good because I've done a ton of these already and I've been soldering professionally for over 15 years so I know my joints are good. I'm actually not asking for help with getting the RGH working on this console, I know some Zephyr's are just picky.

After almost pulling my hair out I decided to dump the NAND to see if it might have gotten corrupted but I forgot to back up the original dumps and overwrote both of them... For some reason I thought J-Runner backed them up under a folder named with the serial number, but I realized now that it does it after you create the image. I'm just wondering, is it possible to rebuild the original NAND, (without the CPU key) with the files I have on hand (see image below)?

Is it normal for the NAND Info to show like this after flashing the ECC file to it, or is my NAND corrupt (NAND Info @ link below)?

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2199/nandinfo.jpg
    Last edited by neildmd@hotmail.com; 7th May 12 at 02:28.

Skill Level
    Hardware diagnostics and modchip troubleshooting
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,854 Times in 7,278 Posts

Re: RGH overwrote original NAND with ECC'd NAND

After almost pulling my hair out I decided to dump the NAND to see if it might have gotten corrupted.
    You do understand that once you've written the ECC file to the NAND, the first 0x50 blocks of your console are overwritten? Obviously not.

In short, no - the only thing you can do now is get someone to glitch it for you and rebuild a NAND based on the retrieved CPU key.

The Following User Says Thank You to Martin C For This Useful Post:

BANNED
    Skill Level
    novice
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,075 Posts

stupid mistake why only do 2 dumps of the nand.second move them to a new folder or rar them.

as martin said get someone to glitch it for you and rebuild a NAND based on the retrieved CPU KEY.

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Repairs, BGA Reballing, Mods, Computer Repair, Mobile Phone Repair, Minor Electronics Repairs
    Thanks

I do understand that the ECC and xell are written to the first 50 blocks. I guess I just don't fully understand how the first 50 blocks work. Time to hit the wiki's haha. I was thinking I might be able to rebuild those blocks from a donor by patching in the KV but from what your saying I'm guessing it would have to be decrypted first and for that you need the CPU key. I was a bit confused about the SMC_dec.bin file being there too since it wasn't before I started.

I normally back everything up as soon as I read a NAND but I just had a brain fart there as I was multitasking and just not thinking straight. I should have just waited until I was done with my other tasks and get focused but oh well you cant win em all haha.

I've read quite a few threads about how the zephyr's can be picky sometimes but this one is beyond! I have been doing this stuff for a very long time and out of all the CoolRunner installs I've done so far every one booted on the first or second glitch every time. I'll upload some pics of my work later when I get a chance but just trust me the soldering is fine and I've tried routing multiple ways, tried all alt points, shielded cable for CPU_RST, top side CPU_RST, ran the CPU_RST wire up over the shroud to avoid interference.

The coolrunner is glitching as the light flashes every 5-6 seconds but no matter how long I let it sit it will not glitch. Are there any other tricks I can try to get this puppy booting into Xell? The ECC should be fine as I went through the logs and there were no errors building or writing it. I figured this one would be a breeze since it has the tiny 32 pin SMD j hook ethernet chip which from another thread I was reading they seem to be the least picky.

Skill Level
    Thanks

If this is moving from ECC help to RGH help then you must include images of your soldering and wiring.

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Thanks

Well, boy do I feel dumb now. I just noticed that the first time I installed the coolrunner I soldered STBY_CLK to R4B5 instead of R4B24. I figured this out while I was testing continuity and noticed that the R4B5 point had signs of being soldered to. I should have noticed that when I was redoing the wiring but my mind was in other places when it should have been on the task at hand.

Anyone know the function of that line? If so, do you think I caused permanent damage seeing as the console will not boot even with the coolrunner turned off now (no red lights even)?

Also, is it normal for the NAND info to show mostly zeroed out except for 2BL and 4BL after writing the ECC file or does that mean I've corrupted the NAND? If it is corrupt, will the console still boot to xell with the proper ECC written to it?

Pics of my wiring:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7218/dsc01482kw.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9168/dsc01481m.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3276/dsc01478i.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4356/dsc01475ke.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9011/dsc01472qz.jpg

Skill Level
    Thanks

Well the console of course won't boot with just the ECC file written if the Coolrunner is disabled/disconnected. The zeros you are seeing are because of the ECC blocks, yes.

Provided your soldering is ok, it should still glitch with that image.

Can you post a clearer pic of CPU_PLL_BYPASS?

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Thanks

CPU_PLL_BYPASS is fine. I check all connections for continuity with a multimeter, from soldered point back to coolrunner and from alt points back to coolrunner just to be sure. Stupid mistake on my part. Think I'm just gonna give up on this one.

When I open the NAND in J-Runner it automatically switches to RGH2 in the selection box but I'm sure I picked RGH before creating and flashing the ECC. Since the console does not have the split CB (it was on dash 13604 with CB 4578) I doubt wiring it up for RGH2 work (or is CB stored in those first 50 blocks?) Plus, I've been doing some research and have yet to find a single person that got RGH2 working on these Zephyrs.

Skill Level
    Experienced
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neildmd@hotmail.com View Post
    ... Plus, I've been doing some research and have yet to find a single person that got RGH2 working on these Zephyrs.
    No your reading a member that is posting he can't do it and is frustrated. There are plenty of people that have, including myself, this comment is complete BS and understand first and foremost that zephyrs are shit to begin with!

If i helped you in anyway, please press the THANKS and REP button

Sent from my brain tumor causing device using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to hersheys247 For This Useful Post:

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Thanks

Thank you for clarifying that. You are right, it was mostly that one guy going on about it, but there were a few others stating the same thing, 6 glitch attempts then it stops. He seems to have a lot of threads going/hijacked others about this. I figured it was BS since TX would not have said it could be done if it couldn't, but perhaps certain CB's are causing issues.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in regards to this, but why wouldn't I be able to restore to stock by just taking a donor NAND and patching in the original KV and SMC for this console? I have them backed up and both are stored within the first 50 blocks.

http://free60.org/NAND_File_System#XeLL_Image_Layout
    Last edited by neildmd@hotmail.com; 9th May 12 at 02:15.

Skill Level
    Thanks

No - if it were that simple, we'd never need the CPU key.