By kaneda in forum The Noob Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th November 07, 02:35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

How To Boot Directly To Freestyle Dash (Jtaged Xbox) & Make It Region Free

This Tut will make you xbox boot directly in to freestyle dash, and will show you how to set up the dash.

Please read it through once before attempting.

My set up,
    jtagged box
    20gig MS drive (hdd1)
    extranal usb drive (usb)
    usb stick for flashing

If you are using an external usb this will make life easier for updates.

Software you will need (or equivalent)
    Flashfxp
    xbins automated downloaded
    FreeStyle Dash v1.10RC1 (version I used)
    Probably a few other bits i can't remember.

Step 1 (for people using external usb drives) if you want to do this on an internal (M$ type in the caddy) go to step 3

You have flashed your console but are fed up with it booting in to stock dash then selecting the freestyle/xexmenu dash.

you need to go to xbins and get yourself dash launch v0.2 a real bitch to find on the site so i've upped the ready patch version here.
    http://rael.cx/tx/Patch.rar
    (password is in next post keeps the unreg'd people out)

Have a read of the read me, confused ? don't worry I've got my spoon out

This process involves re-flashing your xbox with newer xbr patches. (no hassle)

a.) Rename appropriate XBRpatch to updpatch.bin: (note it's already a .bin file no need to add .bin to it)

For 16 Mb nand rename updpatch_16MB.bin

For Big Blocks (256 and 512 Jasper) rename updpatch_Big_Block.bin

For region Free Patch Only 16mb nands rename updpatch_RF_only 16mb.bin

For region Free Patch Only Big Block nands rename updpatch_RF_only BigBlock.bin

b.) Place Updpatch.bin at root of USB stick

c.) Place the Launch.xex at root of Xbox HDD. Launch.ini can be placed in usb root or hdd root.
    In this case we are opening the folder usb launch/ freestyle launch/ and putting the program launch.xex and launch.ini on the root of the m$ Hd be whatever means you'd use ie ftp xexmenu usb transfer etc.

note:
    (You can Use 2 different Launch.ini if placing one on Usb root and one at HDD root Usb Ini will be loaded first if not present Hdd Ini will load. If neither NXE dash will load as a fallback)

Thats step 1 now step 2

Step 2
    if you already haven't formatted you external usb hard drive then it needs to be a fat 32 throughout, windows won't let you do it without partitioning it so another program is needed have a look for swissknife
    extract FreeStyle Dash v1.10RC1.rar and place the freestyle folder and contents on to the root of the usb, you should now have freestyle and in that directory you should have 3 folders and FreestyleDash.xex <---- (important that is there)

now we are ready to flash the console and see what happens.
    for this you will need flash360 (xbins)
    insert usb stick use whatever method to boot into flash360
    Press B (write update areas of Rebooter)
    Press B (Write updpatch.bin)
    Once completed press back button twice and xbox will shut off.
    remove usb stick plug in your external usb drive turn on and now your loader should boot directly in to freestly dash, When asked where to save select usb, this will save you m$ hd drive becoming clogged up.

Now go to step 4

step 3 For those people with internal usb and want to do this, it is very similar to the above method the differences are,
    you need to point the loader at the freestyle on the hd not usb. copy up to step 1b)

3c.) Place the Launch.xex at root of Xbox HDD. Launch.ini can be placed in usb root or hdd root.
    In this case we are opening the folder freestyle launch and putting the program launch.xex and launch.ini on the root of the m$ Hd be whatever means you'd use ie ftp xexmenu usb transfer etc.

note:
    (You can Use 2 different Launch.ini if placing one on Usb root and one at HDD root Usb Ini will be loaded first if not present Hdd Ini will load. If neither NXE dash will load as a fallback)

extract FreeStyle Dash v1.10RC1.rar and place the freestyle folder and contents on to the root of the HD, you should now have freestyle and in that directory you should have 3 folders and FreestyleDash.xex <---- (important that is there)

now we are ready to flash the console and see what happens.
    for this you will need flash360 (xbins)
    insert usb stick use whatever method to boot into flash360
    Press B (write update areas of Rebooter)
    Press B (Write updpatch.bin)
    Once completed press back button twice and xbox will shut off.

Upon rebooting you you be greeted with the freestyle dash.

Step 4
    You should now be greeted with you new dash. If you are using external usb select to save on there if you using internal save on there.
    you now need to put the items (games xbla etc) in the correct directories,
    freestyle looks in the root of the drive for the following directories

games (xbox 360 ripped games go in here)
    xbox1 (xbox1 games)
    apps (put your apps in here other dash boards etc)
    applications (as above)
    emulators (have a guess)
    emu (as above)
    content (where you xbla games go content/00000000etc/then game title)

Once you have chosen what to put in where you can run the program in the freestyle.rar called fsdindexer, this will give you download the backgrounds and screen shots to make the dash look nice. this can be time consuming.

If you are using an external usb plug this in to your pc and run the program select open via usb drive select the drive letter and ok.
    press get data for all games this will do a scan and get graphics for all your games.

if you are using internal hd then you will need the network hooked up (if you haven't done already switch dns settings to all zeros and in the parental options ban xbl access) open fsdinder and press ftp enter the ftp number of the machine and at the bottom check the hd box. press get data for all games and don't forget to save when it done.

By now the dash is looking pretty special I bet your thinking well wait until you have completed the next step, and added trailer videos.

depending where you saved your list you will have a folder called fsdata in there is something called artwork, in there is the list of all the games/xbla/apps it fond when doing a scan. if you have ripped games they are easy spotted by the name normally at the bottom.
    A list of preview vids can be found here
    http://hotfile.com/list/331051/cd21fcf
    http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/videos/

if you search on binsearch for XBLA Preview Video Collection For Freestyle these are xbla all in one on ng's
    and if you search on binsearch for FreestyleDash360_Previews this is a full retail game all in one.

Once you have the video file it needs to be named preview.wmv and dropped in to the corresponding artwork folder.
    Like I said if you ripped the game to a folder it's easy spotted but if its a god or xbla then it's just a bunch of numbers so this site comes in very handy
    http://360.kingla.com/index.php?group=&sort=&type=#list
    just type in the name of the game you have the vid for and it will give you it's number either ftp or drop the file in to the fsdata/artwork/number folder and you now have a preview vid for you game/ app.

Once you have played your game/app and quit back to dash you will find it goes back to the nxe dash so to stop having to reboot to get freestyle back put this file on you m$ HD in the directory Content\0000000000000000\C0DE9999\00080000\
    http://rael.cx/tx/freestyle.rar (password in next post)
    the just select freestyle from the demo menu and it will reboot back in to it

If you need to get the nxe dash at anytime press the big x on the controller and go to dash

Hope this was helpful to a few people.

Thanks to all the people who made this possible.

If I have missed anything give me a nudge thanks

Ted

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to big_ted For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

Re: how to boot directly to freestyle dash (jtaged box)

password for rar is bigteddigital

The Following User Says Thank You to big_ted For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Repairs, Installation, Case Modding
    Thanks

I gues you are using the xbrpatch pack that contains region free, I have been using this myself since it came out and it does make life so much more simple. Thanks for the preview video links so much more easier then trying to download from the ms website and for that reboot patch too.
    Last edited by 192_26; 16th March 10 at 03:47.

Skill Level
    Repairs, Installation, Case Modding
    Thanks

If you want to patch your custom xbr nand file before flashing select the correct update patch bin file and use this command in NandPro: nandpro xbr.bin: +W16 updpatch.bin 65 1
    Last edited by 192_26; 16th March 10 at 04:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 192_26 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

Re: how to boot directly to freestyle dash (jtaged box) and make it region free

thought I'd move this over here too.

Ted

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Case Mods and Flashing
    Thanks

this just gets me more and more pumped for NAND-X....thanks Ted, amazing TuT!

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Pron
    Thanks

Iam little confused about this tutorial.
    What is the difference between internal en external usb on the 360?

Can I boot direct into freestyledash on a usb thumbdrive pluggind into de front or back of the 360. with no xbox hdd connected?

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by govegan View Post
    Iam little confused about this tutorial.
    What is the difference between internal en external usb on the 360?

Can I boot direct into freestyledash on a usb thumbdrive pluggind into de front or back of the 360. with no xbox hdd connected?
    You still need microsoft hd attached for profiles and the booting of the dash, after it has booted the freestyle dash you can play your games, retail, xbl and homebrew off the usb hard drive and the microsoft one, it makes a list of what is available and displays this when it boots.

I'll make a video of the dash running in the next day or two and post it up.

It's very nice ;-)

Ted

The Following User Says Thank You to big_ted For This Useful Post:

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Pron
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_ted View Post
    You still need microsoft hd attached for profiles and the booting of the dash, after it has booted the freestyle dash you can play your games, retail, xbl and homebrew off the usb hard drive and the microsoft one, it makes a list of what is available and displays this when it boots.

I'll make a video of the dash running in the next day or two and post it up.

It's very nice ;-)

Ted
    Oke I understand, I can also use the xbox memory card to boot the dash?

hmmm in the ini file I only see LUsb: or LHdd:
    But no Memunit:
    can I lauch freestyle from my memory unit?
    Last edited by govegan; 1st April 10 at 21:34.

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

Re: How To Boot Directly To Freestyle Dash (Jtaged Xbox) & Make It Region Free

you can boot it from the usb if the .ini is in the root of it, it looks for launch.ini at usb first, then m$ harddrive if it's not found it defaults to stock dash.

Not sure about mem card but it will defo work from usb without m$ drive.

Ted

Skill Level
    TecWizard
    Thanks

Tried doing this, but using Freestyle dash 1.20 and followed your instructions (Using 120gig MS Hard drive).

Doesn't boot to freestyle from boot. Any ideas?

-=AD=-
    http://team-xecuter.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic869_1.gif

Dont forget theThanks button if I've helped.

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

make sure your using correct launch xex and ini for your install, I placed them both in root of m$ hd and usb hd.
    placed freestyle in root of usb hd in dir called freestyle
    and flashed patch.

My brother has a hd that takes ages to initialize so that boots to m$ dash too, tried another hd usb and that one works. just a hd problem.

HTH

Ted

EDIT

just re read your post make sure you got the correct launch files for internal hd, and that you extract just the freestyle dash directory from the zip and place that in the root of hd1: so freestyledash.xex is hd1:/freestyle/freestyledash.xex

Ted
    Last edited by big_ted; 5th April 10 at 09:57.
    Squirt = something you chuck away in a cleenex or leave under you bed if you still live with mom

Why is everybody's camera broken when I ask for some pics of an install

bad installs me thinks.

Skill Level
    TecWizard
    Thanks

Still cant get this to bloody work lol.

I have it set to LHDD1:/freestyle/freestyledash.xex

Also tried LHDD:/freestyle/freestyledash.xex

I've not tried HDD1:/freestyle/freestyledash.xex

Bugging me this is, but I might not have to do it at all. Had a glass of water knocked over near my desk and this Jtagged machine was underneath.

Alas to say water was on it, so not touched it to see if it will power up yet. A Night in the airing cupboard should sort it out lol.

-=AD=-
    http://team-xecuter.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic869_1.gif

Dont forget theThanks button if I've helped.

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    Gaming
    Thanks

I have a jtagged 360 jasper 512mb arcade model. I don't have an official MS HD and would prefer not to buy one if possible as I have a 500gb external usb hd. What i'd like to do is have the freestyle dash boot as default. Is it possible to do this by substituting the instructions given using either the 512mb internal memory or a memory card. I have tried copying the launch.ini and launch.xex to the root of the memory card with the renamed updpatch.bin on a usb stick. I then run Flash360 from within freestyle and it says its patched but the dash remains the same. Im not sure what I would name the device in the launch.ini file would it be MU0:\Freestyle\FreestyleDash.xex; or Memunit0:\Freestyle\FreestyleDash.xex; ? Ive tried both and they dont seem to work. Any ideas?

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    none
    Thanks

Is there a mirror for the file linked here? I get a 404 when trying to download

Skill Level
    translating tech to noob
    Thanks

sorry server down atm. will post when back up.
    Squirt = something you chuck away in a cleenex or leave under you bed if you still live with mom

Why is everybody's camera broken when I ask for some pics of an install

bad installs me thinks.

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    none
    Thanks

I'm in the process of buying a jtagged falcon. My question is, do I need to flash dash launch if the modder flashes the latest freeboot? Or will freeboot allow me to autoboot Freestyle dash? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Wulfie

Skill Level
    A Bunch of LPT JTAG boxes!!!
    Thanks

Hey guys... im a bit confused now!
    With freeboot .32 can i auto boot freestyle dash ONLY with an external HDD???
    I have it already as a 16GB MU & with freestyle on NXE...... but wanted to go there directly or atleast make the fan go faster auto! lol

any quick hint?

Thanks

Skill Level
    Thanks

bugger,,, the link is still down

can someone let me know where i can get it?

just wondering if big ted has got round to making and uploading a vid showing the pros of doing this yet?

a fantastic idea
    Last edited by loftlex; 14th July 10 at 20:48.

Skill Level
    Little bit here, Little bit there :)
    Thanks

any chance that someone could post new links for all the files please.

many thanks

james

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast