5. Liteon DG-16D2S 83850C (v1) - Step-by-Step Guide
    By Ubergeek in forum Liteon DG-16D2S 83850C v1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th February 11, 07:16

Skill Level
    Modding, Gaming
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,978 Times in 2,688 Posts

Exclamation Liteon DG-16D2S 83850C (v2) - Step-By-Step Guide (With CK3 Probe 3)

WARNING

IF YOUR DASHBOARD IS 2.0.13599 OR HIGHER THEN YOUR DRIVE IS NO LONGER A 83850C - IT HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A 02510C - SO YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS NEW GUIDE INSTEAD

UPDATED: 2ND OCTOBER 2011

This guide is the property of Ubergeek on behalf of Team Xecuter. You have permission to duplicate this guide as long as full credits are given - don't be lame and claim it to be your own.

TIP

With X360USB PRO you don't need CK3 Pro drivers, you don't have to use any COM ports (if you don't want the "no Com Ports" message showing up when you boot Jungle Flasher then simply save and run this reg file) and you don't have to have any PortIO stuff installed so no F8 or Driver signing disabled or any of that crap any more (simply tick the USB Only button and all the PortIO stuff gets disabled / ignored) - just ignore all that as it's the old way of doing things - X360USB PRO takes care of ALL of it.

The following tutorial will take you through the simple process of communicating with a Liteon DG-16D2S DVD Drive using Jungle Flasher and an X360USB PRO adapter. It doesn't matter what firmware you have on your drive - this method will work regardless.

Requirements:

• Xecuter X360USB Pro
    • DVD Drive Power source (the tutorial uses an Xecuter CK3 Pro but you can use a CK3 Lite too)
    • CK3 Probe 3 (For DVD Key Extraction - No cuts and no soldering)
    • Sata Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
    • USB Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
    • Latest version of Jungle Flasher (Must be v0.1.82 and above)
    • Latest version of X360USB PRO firmware (must be at least v18)
    • X360USB PRO Windows Drivers
    • Windows XP / Vista / 7 - 32bit or 64bit
    • MAC OSX (Using Parallels, Bootcamp or VMWare)

There are four versions of the Liteon DG-16D2S, 74850C, 83850C(v1), 83850C(v2) & 93450C. This guide covers the 83850C(v2). To find out which version of Liteon drive you have simply look at the label and you will see "FW Ver.: XXXXXC"

WARNING

AUX Power Cable

The X360USB PRO comes with an AUX Power cable. This is NOT to be used unless it is required. Your X360USB PRO will function with no problems on 99% of USB ports as they have a 500ma output. A tiny amount of USB ports only carry 100ma. The AUX Power is supplied as a worst case scenario for those instances (you would plug it into a USB capable power supply unit such as the iPod's power brick). DO NOT use the AUX Power cable if your computer supports 500ma as you may cause damage to your X360USB PRO. The best way to test is it just set everything up to see if drivers install, jungle flasher detects the drive etc.

TIP

There is no solid way to visually distinguish if you have an 83850(v1) or 83850(v2). July & August 2009 batches have a mix of the v1 and v2 drives so if your drive is June 2009 or less it's probably a v1, and if your drive is an August 2009 or more it's probably a v2 (not definitely). You can only tell for sure by hooking the drive up, run Jungle Flasher and click the LO83info button. Jungle Flasher sends a secret inquiry for 83850(v2), so it will tell you if you have one or not, if you click LO83info and Jungle Flasher tells you to power on the drive with tray 1/2 open, you have a 83850(v1).

Here is an example of the Liteon DG-16D2S DVD label. As you can see we have highlighted the F/W version - in this case it is the 83850C (When referencing the drives the letter C is rarely mentioned as it doesn't have any relevance so don't worry if you simply see "83850". The date of the drive is August 2009, so as this is higher than July 2009 it is probably an 83850(v2) drive.

Before you connect everything you first need to install the X360USB Pro Drivers. These are signed and work in Windows XP / Vista / 7 both 32bit and 64bit. Download the small driverpack and plug in the X360USB PRO USB Cable. When it asks for the drivers simple point to the files you saved and they will install with ease. You are now ready to hook everything else up.

Working with a stock Liteon DG-16D2S 83850(v2) is slightly trickier as you have to take the drive case apart and use a CK3 Probe 3 to extract the DVD key. This only needs to be done once, and as soon as you have your key you can connect to the drive as normally as you would any other drive without taking it apart or using the CK3 Probe 3.

So we will split this guide into 2 parts. Part A deals with extracting the drive key using the CK3 Probe 3, and Part B will deal with using Jungle Flasher as per normal for reading / writing of the firmware. if you already have your drive key then you simply skip to Part B.

You will first need to take the DVD drive apart in order to get to its internal controller board. The point we are interested in is MPX01 (highlighted with green circle). Be careful as there are live voltages so make sure you attach the probe to the correct point and no other place on the PCB or you may harm your drive.

Let's get everything hooked up. First, simply connect the DVD power supply (in this case the Xecuter CK3 Pro) to the DVD drive (take care to make sure it is fitted the correct way - the wrong way can damage your drive - the green wires on the power cable show it to be the correct way up - red is the wrong way. Also note that the CK3 Probe 3 cable is connected directly to the DVD drive end and not the CK3 Pro end). Connect the molex power cable from your PC or from an external Molex power supply. Connect the SATA cable from the DVD drive to the X360USB Pro, and then connect the USB cable from the X360USB Pro to a USB port on your Netbook/Notebook/Laptop/Desktop computer. All these connections are illustrated in the diagrams below.

The CK3 Probe 3 power cable is edited in this image for illustration purposes. The actual cable is an extended length at 18inches giving far more flexibility when moving your equipment around. If you find that the CK3 Cable is a little stiff you can cut the black rubber sheath into sections to make it more flexible.

OK we are ready to begin:

PART A - Extracting The DVD Key

1. Load up Jungle Flasher and...

(1) Select the DVDKey 32 Tab
    (2) Make sure the I/O Port is set to 0x000
    (3) The X360USB pro should be detected as Primary Master and the Firmware version will be displayed (in this case it is Ver 0.17)
    (4) The Liteon DG-16D2S should be detected and ready to work with
    (5) Make sure the Dummy.bin only box is ticked. This file will hold all the extracted information (key, inquiry, identify & serial).

2. Click the PhatKey button.

3. You will now get a pop up message telling you to power off the drive, attach the CK3 Probe 3 to the MPX01 point and then power the drive on. You don't have to power off the CK3 - so just follow these instructions:

• Click YES
    • Hold CK3 Probe 3 Button down (LED OFF), connect the Probe to MPX01 (push the probe firmly to the MPX01 point so that it's a solid connection), release CK3 Probe 3 Button (LED ON)

4. Extract Complete will be then pop up after a couple of seconds (See image below). Now Remove the CK3 Probe 3 from MPX01. Press and Release the Probe 3 button again then click OK

5. The data has now been extracted. You will be prompted to save the Dummy.bin - keep this file in a safe place as it holds all of your drives information including the DVD Key.

6. The following part of the guide is solely to show 3rd party tools working with the X360USB PRO. You must own any game that you backup and we do not condone any kind of piracy and this is purely for educational purposes only. We do not provide any of the LT Plus firmware files and they are not provided or included with Jungle Flasher so do not ask for them. Once the drives firmware has been read Jungle Flasher will ask you if you want to auto-load the Liteon iXtreme firmware. Click Yes.

7. Everything is now loaded into Jungle Flasher and you are ready to go. Lets explain whats happening on the screen at the moment.

(1) The source buffer is loaded with the information extracted from your Liteon drive.
    (2) This is your DVD key - always keep this safe !
    (3) This is the iXtreme LT Plus firmware auto loaded into the target buffer

That's all the hard work done congrats on completing Part A of this tutorial !

PART B - Erasing & Writing Firmware

8. Now you are ready to program your drive.

(1) Select the MTK Flash 32 tab
    (2) Click the Lite-On Erase button

9. You will get a pop-up warning you to be 100% sure that you have your DVD Key. If you are sure click YES

10. Another pop-up explaining that the drive will be erased and when it sends an intro to the drive to kick it into vendor mode. If you are ready click YES

11. You need to power cycle the drive (turn the CK3 Pro power switch OFF then ON) when the drive status displays as 0x90. Your drive will then switch to vendor mode ( 0x72 ) and you are ready to write data to the drive. To program the firmware click the Write button.

12. After writing, Jungle Flasher also reads and verifies every sector to make sure that the drive programmed correctly. Once everything is completed it will say "Write Verified OK!"

13. Success ! You can now click the Outro / ATA Reset button to take the drive out of vendor mode

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

Skill Level
    Modding, Gaming
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,978 Times in 2,688 Posts

Re: Liteon DG-16D2S 83850C (v2) - Step-by-Step Guide

Reserved
    PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ubergeek For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    xbox 360 motherboard modification and repair.
    Thanks

Re: Liteon DG-16D2S 83850C (v2) - Step-By-Step Guide (With CK3 Probe 3)

Very nice tutorial and very easy to follow. It really help me finish my work with
    Liteon DG-16D2S 83850c very shortly without any problem.
    Many thanks to Ubergeek.

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    game
    Thanks

Yes, very nice, but what i must do width my blaster CK3, i have a simple probe.
    I have and other problem:
    I buy my console second hand and they alredy have LT. I don`t have the key. What else i need to put LT 2.0.
    Do i need probe 3, and if yes, can i modify my probe in probe 3. Or can i made my own probe 3 by this sheme http://dream.pic.fi/kuvat/Xbox%20360...e%203.JPG/full
    Thanks in advanced.

BANNED
    Skill Level
    basic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boshko View Post
    Yes, very nice, but what i must do width my blaster CK3, i have a simple probe.
    I have and other problem:
    I buy my console second hand and they alredy have LT. I don`t have the key. What else i need to put LT 2.0.
    Do i need probe 3, and if yes, can i modify my probe in probe 3. Or can i made my own probe 3 by this sheme http://dream.pic.fi/kuvat/Xbox%20360...e%203.JPG/full
    Thanks in advanced.
    firstly mate read through the forum rules,

you need to start your own thread in the correct section for your problem

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    fighting
    Thanks

Thanks for the useful information. I would like to flash my friends Liteon drive. It was an 83850C V1, but after the recent system update, itís now 0251C so the SATA method is no longer viable. Itís a virgin 360 so I will need to get the drive key. I only have a VIA VT6421 sata card. The question is, can I power the drive using a CK3 probe and use the xbox 360 power source? Or is it best to use an external source. Can I flash using the via sata card?