3. [JTAG] are region codes hard coded?
    By banjaxt in forum Xbox 360 JTAG Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th November 11, 23:09
  4. color scheme for nand-x usb wires
    By maximus216 in forum Xbox 360 JTAG Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th March 11, 01:41
  5. Color -- Does the Blaster 360 NE color match the elite?
    By slugzero in forum Xbox 360 Firmware Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st March 09, 02:42
    Skill Level
    RGH/JTAG, Console Repairs, BGA Reballing, Trace/VIA Repairs
    Thanks

Corona 4GB (V2/V4/V6) NAND RW QSB Color Coded Pinout

Hey folks, if you've messed up your Corona 4GB NAND RW QSB, don't like using QSB's or just want to convert it into a multi-install reader here's a helpful color-coded pinout diagram I've worked out by just doing continuity tests from the SD Card pads back to the solder pads on the QSB. I had an old one kicking around here that took a beating and decided to convert it into a proper multi-install by soldering wires directly to the pins on the ribbon connector.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to use 24 AWG or thicker for both ground wires and 26-28 AWG for the rest. Also, make sure you solder the pad next to Q1 to the resonator or if you have trouble reading the chip try running a wire from the same pin on the resonator directly to ground (24 AWG! The right hand side of cap C1E16 directly below the Phison chip is a good GND point).

J-Runner would not read the MMC using 28 AWG for GNDs and as soon as I swapped them out for 24 AWG it worked flawlessly. If you've anything to add to this that's related to the 4GB models please feel free to share.

ConsoleTech

Last edited by ConsoleTech; 10th October 13 at 04:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ConsoleTech For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    noob :-p
    Thanks

Re: Corona 4GB (V2/V4/V6) NAND RW QSB Color Coded Pinout

this wiring diagram you have taken the time to illustrate is freely available on the net and was available before the QSB's were released.. but thanks :-)
    Phat Drive key recovery from PCB £15.00... Failed Kamikaze Repair £18.00... PM me

and support Jrunner

Skill Level
    Thanks

I am fully aware of this n1ght0wl. I was merely showing the pin-outs for the retail QSB and how to convert it into a multi-install. I know it's not that hard to figure out and it took me all or 5 mins maybe to draw up. Just figured I'd share since I'm sure someone will find it useful.

P.S. A simple thanks would have been enough. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to ConsoleTech For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Noob
    Thanks

Well i tried doing a wire install with a corona V2 qsb a few days ago it showed up in Jrunner with the right size but as soon as i tried to read or write i got this error "Must be a removable type" maybe its because i used kynar wire on all connections. Wich i now see is AWG30 so the wire had to be even thiner? :S

If you compare the wire thicknesses with the colored ones that come with the coolrunner/proto/dgx what cable woult be used for ground? and what for the other pads? Just out of curiosity because i will install a QSB anyway when i get the chance.

Also i think it would be beter to desolder the port from the EXT qsb and do a wire install from those pads or am i wrong?

Skill Level
    Thanks

AWG30 should be fine and with AWG the higher the number, the thinner the wire. I used very short pieces of single stranded IDE cable for everything but ground and it works perfect. Use the ground wire that comes with the CR's and if that still doesn't work try replacing the AWG 30 with the common coolrunner wires.

Also the wire going from the resonator to the pad near Q1 should be thick ground wire as well or soldered directly to the QSB. I would try soldering it directly to ground instead of the QSB though, but you would have to desolder it again before powering on the console to get the CPU key and then solder it back again to flash the freeboot image. You may want to try that first before replacing all the wires since it's a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by really_wacky View Post
    Also i think it would be beter to desolder the port from the EXT qsb and do a wire install from those pads or am i wrong?
    That's what I had planned to do originally but decided to try it from the QSB instead since it gives me more length to play with. Reading the MMC *might* be more reliable when soldered to the external module that plugs into the SD slot though. Shorter run -> less signal loss? I'm not 100% up to spec on flash communication protocols so that's just a guess.
    Last edited by ConsoleTech; 8th October 13 at 01:25.

Skill Level
    JTAG/RGH Installs & Repairs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,470 Times in 3,582 Posts

Thread moved to the Guides & Tutorials section.

The U1D1 header is the same on all Corona boards .

Skill Level
    Noob
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleTech View Post
    AWG30 should be fine and with AWG the higher the number, the thinner the wire. I used very short pieces of single stranded IDE cable for everything but ground and it works perfect. Use the ground wire that comes with the CR's and if that still doesn't work try replacing the AWG 30 with the common coolrunner wires.

Also the wire going from the resonator to the pad near Q1 should be thick ground wire as well or soldered directly to the QSB. I would try soldering it directly to ground instead of the QSB though, but you would have to desolder it again before powering on the console to get the CPU key and then solder it back again to flash the freeboot image. You may want to try that first before replacing all the wires since it's a lot easier.

That's what I had planned to do originally but decided to try it from the QSB instead since it gives me more length to play with. Reading the MMC *might* be more reliable when soldered to the external module that plugs into the SD slot though. Shorter run -> less signal loss? I'm not 100% up to spec on flash communication protocols so that's just a guess.

So use a blackwire from the CR kit on al 3 ground points? i asume it does not matter if you switch the postion of the 2 ground wires? (The 3th pin and the last) It seems more logical because that way your wires dont cross each other. I will try it again tomorrow in that case i need to start working in half an hour and i am not going to do it when its dark :P Soldering to the nand pads on a 4GB is some risky bussiness :P

Noob Account
    Skill Level
    hardware
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n1ght0wl View Post
    this wiring diagram you have taken the time to illustrate is freely available on the net and was available before the QSB's were released.. but thanks :-)
    Hey, I just want to know where this schematic can be found.
    I like to know what Q1 and other parts are doing.
    And pen 7 is not connected in this wire instal but QSB use this pin.
    Is there also een pin out for U1D1 16 pins connector. Goes this to the switch R/W--x360 on de microSD header ?

Regards Klusser

Skill Level
    Flashing, fault finding and jtagging
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleTech View Post
    Hey folks, if you've messed up your Corona 4GB NAND RW QSB, don't like using QSB's or just want to convert it into a multi-install reader here's a helpful color-coded pinout diagram I've worked out by just doing continuity tests from the SD Card pads back to the solder pads on the QSB. I had an old one kicking around here that took a beating and decided to convert it into a proper multi-install by soldering wires directly to the pins on the ribbon connector.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to use 24 AWG or thicker for both ground wires and 26-28 AWG for the rest. Also, make sure you solder the pad next to Q1 to the resonator or if you have trouble reading the chip try running a wire from the same pin on the resonator directly to ground (24 AWG! The right hand side of cap C1E16 directly below the Phison chip is a good GND point).

J-Runner would not read the MMC using 28 AWG for GNDs and as soon as I swapped them out for 24 AWG it worked flawlessly. If you've anything to add to this that's related to the 4GB models please feel free to share.

ConsoleTech

Good work but you realy dont need that thick wires, i use a single 30 awg for GND and i only use one of the two GND points. If you think about it, how would you be able to get 2 x 24 awg inside that flat cable?

The Following User Says Thank You to Antalpromille For This Useful Post: