By cdpyro in forum The Noob Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th December 08, 04:29

Thread: update failed

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

update failed

I got this xbox with a broken drive for cheap. I know the guy, and he has absolutely no experience with 360's other than playing them. I asked if he replaced the drive and he said no. He said he opened it up to clean out the dust and see if that worked. Thats it.

So I replaced it with 74850c that I know works, I use it in one of my 360's. I flashed it with the key that I pulled from his "broke" drive. I got play dvd, so first thing I figure is it's not the original drive, but I don't think he'd lie to me. So to check further, I tried to update it (with ofw) and got this error code, which is not listed on the m$ website. Anyone know what it is?

3151-335a-1480-2303-c800-0080

Skill Level
    Hardware diagnostics and modchip troubleshooting
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,839 Times in 7,276 Posts

Re: update failed

Yep, it's trying to update the console's DVD drive based on the OSIG. Your drive doesn't match the original drive and therefore it's throwing an error.

What is the MFR date of the console?

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

2009 03 02

If the drive doesn't match, then I guess I don't have the original key either, so it's screwed. Some smart ass must of thought they could just replace the drive, probably him. I'll have to confront him and be like, "so where's the original drive?" lol

Also, it's an arcade, prolly doesn't matter though...

And if I may ask, where did you find out what that error code means, I couldn't find anything.
    Last edited by megamike; 30th June 11 at 22:32.

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

Oh, and just so you know, I'm using the probe 2 (waiting on probe 3 in the mail) and the ck3 lite. Just so you don't think I'm trying to get free help

Skill Level
    Thanks

I just searched on "3151-335a Xbox"

2009 Console may have had a BenQ drive as the OSIG. If you have one laying around (or access to one), try it in its place.

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

Thanks, I do have one laying around, but I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow, I'm off to work.

I'll have my fingers crossed that this liteon has the correct key on it, and someone didn't just swap drives without flashing.

What's your thoughts on this 360 being flagged for a ban now? They must know somethings wrong now
    Last edited by megamike; 30th June 11 at 22:49.

Skill Level
    Thanks

I don't know for sure - I don't think anyone knows TBH!

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

you're not gonna believe this...

So let me start off with this. You were right, I flashed the key from the original liteon to the benq. I had a broken benq laying around from a customer that had me replace his defective drive. This never would have occurred to me that the drive was spoofed, with the correct key. I kind of feel bad for confronting him about it now lol. The update worked. Ofcourse the drive is broken, I get open tray, and I knew that would happen because I got this from a the xbox that I fixed for someone. So I just need to grab a laser. But here's where it gets a little crazy...

When I confronted him, he said "no, no one ever touched this xbox. I opened it when it stopped reading discs to clean out the dust and give it a try. Then I stuck it in the closet and bought a slim. When I heard you were fixing xbox's, I figured I'd sell it to you for 30 bucks" (US). I believe him.

So I said, "oh, you must have bought this used from gamestop, and it was repaired by someone, not microsoft, and they spoofed the drive to fix it and traded it in."

He says, "No, I bought this from Walmart, brand new."

WAIT WHAT?

Facts. He has no reason to lie, and I believe him. The guy lives next door, we hang out form halo lan parties. He has NO tech experiences. When I said spoof he was puzzled. The key was correct, the dashboard update was successful. The drive was spoofed, and after an update that blocks that, he must have thought it broke.

So this leads me to 2 conclusions.

1) Microsoft accidentally put a liteon in an xbox that was supposed to have a benq, back when spoofing wasn't detectable, so it went unnoticed. I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT.

2) Walmart was refurbishing consoles and selling them as new. Maybe a bit more probable. Hit me with some feedback, because this in insane!

Martin C, thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought about this, because it seemed impossible, and I know I was doing everything correctly on my side, so I was so confused. How many Walmart 360's are failing the update I wonder?

What does everyone think about this? It has my head spinning.

Skill Level
    Thanks

I'm glad you got it working. The BenQ and Lite-On lasers are identical so you can just use the one in the Lite-On.

If you do not spoof a drive to match the OSIG (pre-13146), you would get E66 on bootup (as the console would complain). Therefore, I believe at some point this Lite-on was spoofed as a BenQ to match the OSIG.

So my first question is this: You say you bought it broken. What was the actual fault? Did you ever use it as a games console before trying to update it?

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

When I got it from him, he said it stopped reading games. So first thing I did was put a game in and I got play dvd. I still thought the drive was bad at that point, because I've had a drive go bad and give my play dvd before. My last desperate chance was the upsate btw. I had a strong feeling I had the wrong key, and figured the update would confirm that. Wrong lol. I'm pretty sure that liteon is still good. Thanks for the tip on using the liteon laser.

So what is your thoughts on my last post? Is that even possible?

Skill Level
    Thanks

Not sure TBH. Do me a favour and now the console is updated, put the Lite-on drive back in there (unspoofed) with the correct DVD key and see if it works.

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

I'm about ready to get rid of this thing... So After the update I was getting open tray. I replaced the laser with a new one, and I'm getting play dvd. I have to have the correct key since the update worked.

I'll try putting the liteon back in and see. I'm guessing I should flash it with post stock ay?

Skill Level
    nunchuck skills
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 997 Posts

It is not spoofed is it?
    MESS UP YOUR INSTALL OR WANT A MOD?
    CLICK THE PANIC BUTTON!

```````````````````````

Skill Level
    Thanks

A wrong DVD key doesn't mean the update will fail. AFAIK it just checks OSIG. Therefore the original problem you had is still there and I'm almost certain someone swapped out the original BenQ for a Lite-on and more than likely didn't bother with the key.

The Following User Says Thank You to Martin C For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

Well that sucks. The liteon didn't work either. I thought the update would fail without the correct key, because it wouldn't be able to flash the drive or something?

And when I tried the original benq, before changing any lasers, I got open tray, which I thought was a good sign. But ofcourse it went back to play dvd after the laser swap

Also I know the guy and he swears that no one has touched this xbox. I guess I'll hold onto it until I come across a drive with a laser that I know works. I have a liteon in my good xbox, but I honestly don't feel like messing with this anymore.
    Last edited by megamike; 1st July 11 at 20:01.

Skill Level
    proficient in most
    Thanks

I've updated a console without the correct dvd key as long as it has the correct drive it will update the console and flash the drive

Console Jasper - bought for 4.20 Ebay
    Drive: BenQ

Mint console aswell....such a shame

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know you could update without the correct key.

Skill Level
    flashing
    Thanks

One more thing that was bothering me about this one. When I originally loaded the dummy that I pulled from the liteon and tried to hit the spoof key button over to the target fw, jungle flasher showed a red message at the bottom saying spoof benq as liteon. I forgot to mention that.

So instead of spoofing the benq as liteon, I had to manually spoof the key to the benq, so that it could act as a benq. So it seems that the liteon was never actually spoofed as a benq, leading me to believe even more that it was just a liteon dropped into a benq xbox. Sorry that didn't occur to me until now, can you confirm my assumption?