Similar Threads

1. [RGH] Noob friendly tutorial
    By smalltylynch in forum Xecuter CoolRunner Installation Guides
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 1st April 12, 09:47
  2. [RGH] Video Tutorial CoolRunner RGH Reset Glitch Hack Start To Finish *Noob Friendly*
    By Ubergeek in forum Xecuter CoolRunner Installation Guides
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th December 11, 01:33
  3. Noob friendly ggbuild gui
    By smalltylynch in forum The Noob Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th October 11, 08:30
  4. noob friendly?
    By ZombieTrev in forum Xecuter Blaster CK3
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 7th December 09, 17:56
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Skill Level
    Cars.
    Thanks

Which motherboard do you have and can Coolrunner work on it? (Noob Friendly)

Ok, ok. So you're a noob. So you have no idea what you're doing. You haven't been active in the scene lately. You don't know what any of this coolrunner and JTAG stuff means!?! And there have so many threads on this stuff, you don't even know where to start reading! Well then, this thread is for you

Just so you know, I'm still a noob so if anyone notices anything wrong or that could be improved, feel free to PM me or let me know

This thread will hopefully be helpful to those of you who are new to the scene and will hopefully be useful to those of you already in the know.

***********FIRST OFF:***********

JTAG + XBOX LIVE = INSTABAN!!!!!!! DON'T BE A DUMBASS!!

Q) So what is JTAG'ing?

Well, to put it simply, in terms of the RGH, JTAG'ing an xbox means that you connected a special PCB (printed circuit board) to the motherboard of your xbox.

Technically, JTAG'ing and RGH are two entirely different things (as explained below), but to keep this noob friendly, I will use them interchangeably from now on.

Q) But what does it do you ask?

It allows you to run unsigned code on your xbox 360. Are you still thinking, "and wtf does that even mean"?!

Ok, well hopefully I can give you a relevant analogy. You know how you can jailbreak an iphone/ipod/i(insertproductnamehere)... well basically, I consider this to be a very similar thing. When you jailbreak an iphone you can put new themes, new ringtones, you are able to customize your homescreen to a whole new extent, put gameboy emulators on and play pokemon... Well these are all programs or app codes that have not been "signed" meaning they have not been released by a software house (company) or Apple.

In the same way, JTAG'ing an Xbox 360 gives you almost limitless abilities of customization with the Xbox 360. You can play games off an external drive, you can modify maps in Call of Duty Black Ops, run almost any kind of emulator (gameboy, super nintendo, nintendo 64, sega genesis, dreamcast... pretty much everything). Also you can have ANY sized hard drive you want! These are just a few of the examples of what you can do with a JTAG, so as you can see the possibilities are quite literally limitless.

NOTE: Something I totally forgot to mention when I first made this thread is if you have an xbox where there is no dvd key (lost, damaged drive,... etc.) you CAN RECOVER YOUR DVD KEY FROM THE MOTHERBOARD WITH THE JTAG! This is sure to revive plenty of old dead xbox 360s that you may have

Q) Why has the JTAG'ing scene exploded just recently?!?!

Well for the longest time, you had to have an xbox on a really old dashboard, like I'm talking Mesozoic Era old! Ok, not that long ago but still the dashboard had to be on 2.0.7371 and lower which I believe is close to 2 years or more ago if I'm not mistaken. Most xboxes get updated with new games or live and microsoft quickly made sure the JTAG exploit was closed after the next dash. This meant that finding a JTAG'able xbox was hard because of the rarity and exclusivity. To make matters worse, most xboxes that are that old tend to red ring, so most JTAG'able xboxes are either dying/dead or have been updated.

Well recently, two awesome intelligent guys by the codenames of Tiros and GliGli figured out a way to JTAG xboxes through the hardware of the xbox.

This was quickly termed the "Reset Glitch Hack" or RGH.

Q) WTF, Reset Glitch Hack?!?!!? I have no idea what you're talking about, I thought you said this was noob friendly!

Don't worry, all you have to know is that the HANA chip is used in the exploit. Don't worry about any of the terms

NOTE: In the newest motherboard for the slim, the HANA chip was redesigned. Redesigns take months to prepare so this was more likely to make the motherboard more cost effective, rather than to fight the RGH. Still you should know that the newest motherboard in the slims, Corona, will NOT be able to exploit the RGH.

You still have plenty of options though! That's the genius of the RGH!

Q) So what is the difference between the new and old way?

Well the old way required a specific software (firmware) on the xbox (remember the dash kernel info from above?), whereas now all xboxes are able to be JTAG'd because all of them have the same hardware. Furthermore, Microsoft can not take away the ability for you to JTAG your xbox because they would physically have to take your mobo and replace it... which will never happen.

This is extremely exciting news because now everyone can enjoy the multitude of benefits of having a JTAG without the hefty price tag!

Q) Does it matter what drive (samsung, hitachi, liteon, benq) I have?

Nope, the only thing that matters for the RGH is the motherboard. You could run a JTAG'd xbox without a drive and still have full functionality if you were so inclined

Q) Does it matter what dashboard I am on?

Nope, the only thing that matters for the RGH is the motherboard. Dashboard does not matter.

With the old way of JTAG'ing, yes it did matter. Again genius of RGH is shown by exploiting hardware, not software.

Q) How can I JTAG my xbox using the RGH?

Well there have been several releases of products that exploit the RGH. And then there's the coolrunner. To make the difference clear, all the other products are like an old hag. It won't be fun but it will get the job done eventually.

The coolrunner is like that sexy model you've been google imaging while your girl is out. You know you want it and you can already fantasize about how amazing it's going to be.

Bottom line: TX never disappoints. If you want the best in the scene, get the TX CoolRunner. Moving on...

Q) Do I leave the coolrunner in after I install it?

Simple: YES! The coolrunner is one per xbox, so yes you leave it in. Think about it: if you took it out of the xbox, what would be the difference in your xbox and any other normal xbox? Nothing! You leave it in so that the RGH can be exploited everytime you turn on your xbox.

Q) What do I need to program my Coolrunner? And how do I do it??

In an effort to keep this thread from turning into a book, I will provide a link to Uber's tutorial when it is available.

Link to Uber's tutorial: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Video tutorial by thedopesoner930: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75233

Here is a great chart you can use to figure out exactly what you need. This is a TX forum and as such, I will only provide info on TX products.

So now you hopefully know what a JTAG Xbox is and what it does.

Let's move on to the meat of the thread.

Which motherboard (mobo) do you have and can it be JTAG'd?

Well here's the list of all motherboards that the TX coolrunner will work on:

Phat:

1) Falcon

2) Zephyr

3) Jasper

4) Opus confirmed (will add info when I get time)

Slim:

1) Vejle/Valhalla/Trinity (This is the same as Valhalla; everyone thought it was going to be called Valhalla and then Microsoft said it was called Vejle. They are the same) (Trinity is same as well, no difference in relation to the RGH)

Source: http://www.free60.org/Xbox_360_Motherboards

Let's be honest, you could care less about the list, you just want to know if YOUR xbox will work. Well here is how you can identify your mobo:

Phat:

1) Falcon

Notice how there is no coil up top and how the bottom green coil has the copper looking wires all up on it. Notice how it lays flat on the mobo.

This is what the heat sink looks like:

2) Zephyr

Notice how there are two green circles with the copper looking wire coiled up on it.

This is what the heat sink looks like:

3) Jasper

Jasper is easy. Look at the back sticker. If it says 12.1 A, it's a Jasper.

Here is a comprehensive picture to identify motherboards using the power socket:

Source: google and http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topi...your-xbox-has/ and http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/i...thical-consol/ and http://apiratesbook.com/images/xbox3...tionsocket.jpg

Slim:

1) Vejle/Valhalla/Trinity

Notice the HANA chip. This is gone in all subsequent motherboards for the Slim. So what does that mean to you? If you don't see this HANA chip, you can't exploit the RGH on your slim

Source for pic: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showp...&postcount=740

Here is what installed pics of the coolrunner look like. These are taken straight off of Uber's threads in the Front News. All credits to Uber. Here are the pics:

Phat top:

Phat bottom:

Slim top:

Slim bottom:

This thread is still an ongoing piece of work. If I have made a mistake and a mod would like to correct, please by all means go ahead

I hope this has helped in some way. This compilation of information took a long time to put together (especially long since you have to type in that tiny ass forum thread box lmao) so if you feel like I helped please press thanks or add rep!
    Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 28th December 11 at 07:37.

Skill Level
    Basic knowledge thanks to TX
    Thanks

Re: JTAG; Which motherboard do you have and can Coolrunner work on it? (Noob Friendly

This is absolutely fantastic. I love the comparison to jailbraking, its how I see it also (being a N00b myself).
    Good job on the N00b guide.
    Very Well done. You should recieve ample thanks for your time and effort as this is no doubt going to help people out. If people are still going to ask questions after they read this then there really is no helping them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nobb123 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Games
    Thanks

Re: JTAG; Which motherboard do you have and can Coolrunner work on it? (Noob Friendly

Thanks for your time and effort to put this together.

The Following User Says Thank You to dayjo43 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    new
    Thanks
    Great info

The Following User Says Thank You to dizzyd1986 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Everything about modding XBOX
    Thanks

thanks for the guide
    what about the cb? please put more info about it

can some one anser this?
    why we cant use a donor with cb 6750 on jasper cb 6752?
    do you know which jasper have this: bb (512,256)? or maybe production date?
    i know only after extracting the nand we can know for sure but does a 16mb MO could have this too?
    thanks
    Last edited by lio_x; 4th November 11 at 13:14.

Skill Level
    Modding
    Thanks

Nice Tutorial buddy
    pretty much knew all of it but its a good read
    Like the way you'v noobed it down, Great work

The Following User Says Thank You to green_fingers For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Professional
    Thanks

Nice and Easy but you forget somethink.

Trinity not Vejle because its more used in Scene
    And the Corona Mobo is missing

The Following User Says Thank You to michiski For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    amature
    Thanks

new to this as just started but wondered if you need the x-nand still as i have a falcon and its not jtaged but it is firmware modded with the xblaster360. so just wondered how this was programmed as i dont see anything about lpt/USB ports

Cheers
    G

Skill Level
    none
    Thanks

great start,should be stickyed

The Following User Says Thank You to mado21 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Everything :)
    Thanks

very usefull thread, explains everything plain and simple

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n0syst3m For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    backups
    Thanks

so very usefull thanks for your time and effort, much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to shilo1 For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Cars.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michiski View Post
    Nice and Easy but you forget somethink.

Trinity not Vejle because its more used in Scene
    And the Corona Mobo is missing
    I know I will soon have to edit the slim parts, because yeah that area of my knowledge is very lacking.

Also, I really couldn't find too much reliable info about the Trinity. If you have pics/info I would greatly appreciate. I know that in the coolrunner video it was said that the Trinity worked with it, but I suppose we will find out soon enough.

Furthermore, and I think this is the important part, Corona WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE JTAG'D. It had a HANA chip redesign and the RGH was based off the HANA chip. As such, it will not be able to be exploited.

Skill Level
    Professional
    Thanks

Hmm do you now it for shore?

I mean yeah there is no Hana Chip to Slow down the CPU but maybe there is a alternativ methode to slow down
    But yes you are right for now there is no JTAG Solution for Corona MoBo's.

I will make some Photos of my Trinity on this Weekend and post it here if you need some
    Last edited by michiski; 4th November 11 at 15:57.

Skill Level
    Cars.
    Thanks

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showt...ghlight=corona

I don't know how many new effective ways can be found to slow down cpu... so I would imagine at least for the foreseeable future that there will be no new hack for the corona.

But who knows, maybe another JTAG hack will come out in 2 years lol!

Skill Level
    xbox1, drive flashing and RGH old man playing whit kids toys
    Thanks

Vary useful thanks for the guide

ok i read that the CB 6752 jasper cant be glitched how do i figure out what CB i have and and can i do this with out buying anything i have the 512 jasper
    Last edited by keith6625; 4th November 11 at 23:54.

Skill Level
    Advanced
    Thanks

Excellent post, thank you!

I have a Phat Jasper 360 and plan on Jtagging it. However, aside from the Coolrunner, what else is needed. Based on what I've read I've come up with a list of what I think I'll need to get this going. Here is my list (if im wrong, PLEASE CORRECT ME and help me out : ) ).

1)Coolruuner: $19.99
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-coolrunner.html

2)Xecuter NAND-X & Coolrunner PHAT QSB Install kit: $5.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-coo...-phat-qsb.html

3)Nand X: $39.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/nand-jtag.html

4)Xecuter Nand-x To Coolrunner Jtag Cable: $4.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/nand-x-to-c...tag-cable.html

5)Xecuter CK3 (already own a CK3i) to NAND-X Update Cable: $2.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-ck3...ate-cable.html

Aside from a soldering iron, am I missing anything else?

Thanks!

Skill Level
    Cars.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ideloera View Post
    Excellent post, thank you!

I have a Phat Jasper 360 and plan on Jtagging it. However, aside from the Coolrunner, what else is needed. Based on what I've read I've come up with a list of what I think I'll need to get this going. Here is my list (if im wrong, PLEASE CORRECT ME and help me out : ) ).

1)Coolruuner: $19.99
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-coolrunner.html

2)Xecuter NAND-X & Coolrunner PHAT QSB Install kit: $5.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-coo...-phat-qsb.html

3)Nand X: $39.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/nand-jtag.html

4)Xecuter Nand-x To Coolrunner Jtag Cable: $4.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/nand-x-to-c...tag-cable.html

5)Xecuter CK3 (already own a CK3i) to NAND-X Update Cable: $2.95
    http://www.xconsoles.com/xecuter-ck3...ate-cable.html

Aside from a soldering iron, am I missing anything else?

Thanks!
    I was thinking about adding the list of things needed to do the install, but didn't for two reasons. The OP was getting really long and I didn't want people asking how to do stuff, since Uber's tuts explain everything really well and I wanted this to be more of an info kind of thread rather an actual how to do kind of thread.

But moving on to your post, I think that list looks good! Of course don't forget that the soldering iron should be between 15 W to 30 W and you need flux and all the good stuff to go with the soldering iron, but it seems like you know what you're talking about

The Following User Says Thank You to ihaveacamaro For This Useful Post:

Skill Level
    Cars.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith6625 View Post
    Vary useful thanks for the guide

ok i read that the CB 6752 jasper cant be glitched how do i figure out what CB i have and and can i do this with out buying anything i have the 512 jasper
    I haven't decided if I want that info in there or not because that is more advanced and I want this to be as noob friendly as possible.

But in the meantime, here is a thread for you:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73906

Skill Level
    Advanced
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I was thinking about adding the list of things needed to do the install, but didn't for two reasons. The OP was getting really long and I didn't want people asking how to do stuff, since Uber's tuts explain everything really well and I wanted this to be more of an info kind of thread rather an actual how to do kind of thread.

But moving on to your post, I think that list looks good! Of course don't forget that the soldering iron should be between 15 W to 30 W and you need flux and all the good stuff to go with the soldering iron, but it seems like you know what you're talking about
    Thanks! I appreciate the confirmation

Skill Level
    play Mod
    Thanks

Thanks for the info it answer few questions about Jtag

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast