Thanks
    Thanked 19,597 Times in 2,770 Posts

Thumbs up CR4 XL - PHAT Zephyr/Opus/Falcon/Jasper Install Guide (R-JTAG+)

This CR4 XL install guide covers Zephyr, Falcon, Jasper Motherboards using the R-JTAG+ method. You can have the absolute latest version dashboard installed if you wish

Recommended Hardware:

(This is what I use myself in my own personal install)

• CR4 XL
    • CR4 COMPLETE PHAT QSB KIT INCLUDING THE R-JTAG ALT QSB V2 INC AUD_CLAMP
    • DOUBLE SHIELDED PRO CPU RST CABLE - PHAT
    • JR PROGRAMMER V2 (You can use a v1, v1.1 or a NAND-X and even a DemoN)

The CR4 XL Board comes with wires and tuning caps (the caps aren't always necessary but included for those who like to do a monster fine tune). I personally like to use the double shielded pro cables that Xecuter makes because it gives a perfect grounded line so you are guaranteed a clean wave. For less than a couple of bucks it's a no brainer - and i'm sure there are some bundle kits you can buy where it's probably thrown in as a freebie anyway. See bottom of this guide for a pic of my own personal Falcon install.

I'm going to break this down as simple as I can. Remember R-JTAG and how awesome it was? Remember the install guide and the crazy long list of settings and tuning and a zillion options? CR4 XL is as basic as it gets. We took all of the awesome results of R-JTAG, fine tuned it to the nth degree and made the install as simple as possible and the setup as simple as possible. There's very little for you to do so I will keep this guide as simple as possible. Simple.

DEFAULT DIP SETTINGS (S1):

Remember all that crazy tuning with DIPS 1-6 and wire lengths and wire routings and all sorts of trial and error that you had to do with previous devices? Well, we've done all the hard work for you with CR4 XL.

The DIP settings above are setup to be the perfect CENTER (average) for these PHAT version consoles. So you should then try DIPS 2, 3 and 4 to get the best results for your console. My personal favorite is DIP 3 (so for example 3 and 7 ON if you have a Falcon). Remember to only test 1 DIP at a time, do not switch 2 on at the same time you'll screw things up. We have kept this as simple as possible

POSTBIT JUMPERS (P1):

These fine tune the resistor on Postbit. The jumper should be set to 0 Ohms by default. In a very few minor instances a 10Ohm or 100Ohm resistor was required to shape a perfect wave (we're talking 5 out of maybe 100 motherboards - so we added the option for those cases)

Note: For Zephyr's if you have problems try to use the Falcon CB.

This is the complete QSB kit for Phat installs. The CR4 XL code was designed and tuned with these installed and are highly recommended to ensure a perfect install. They also come with all the necessary connectors for NAND-X, JR-Programmer, USB COMMS Cable, RATER, AUD_CLAMP & R-JTAG Ohms tuning.

Forgive my soldering it's a little ropey here. As you can see it doesn't get much easier than this. I have added a tuning cap just to show you where it sits but it didn't really need one (the caps legs should be cut nice and short, sitting as close to the board as possible - this pics was just for visuals only). You can add an extra wire to K for RATER auto reset support (KIOSK).

You should also trim all of your wires to be as neat as possible - do not have them straying wildly all over your motherboard. If you make a post asking for help because your setup isn't working and your pictures show yours wiring all over the place do not be surprised if you are ridiculed because you ignored this part of the guide

Extra Pads: ROL is for Ring of Light LED mod, CR_EN is for DemoN Coolrunnr Enable/Disable Mod etc

Now flip the motherboard and install the JTAG ALT V2 QSB. You don't even have to solder that really tiny resistor in the corner anymore either. Nice and simple. Rock solid

2-way switch you obviously set to ON
    3-way switch set it to the middle (allows you to choose a resistor setting of 330 or 470 via the jumper)
    Jumper set to 470 as default - you can try either, it's only really for hardcore tuners.
    The solder jumper should be 1-3 for the AUD_CLAMP option
    The green wire is to be soldered to Q2N1

NOTE: You can also use the JTAG ALT V1 QSB - It just takes a very simple modification using some electrical tape:

We tested all the CPU_RST points (blue wire). C7R112 consistently gave the best results with CR4 - especially when using the custom made Xecuter Double Shielded Pro Cable or the specially made IPEX CPU_RST Cable. This isn't a cash crab that's why we dumped the prices as low as we could to less than a couple of bucks (places like Xconsoles are giving them for free in bundles - USE THEM - they do make a difference with CR4). The IPEX cable is especially nice as it's super neat and tidy too.

This is my final placement of the CR4 XL. As you can see it is super tidy.

If you want to have permanent external access to the NAND, you can hook up an adapter we made a while back which is actually quite nice called the QSB EXT V3 but I think the price was a bit high so it's languishing in the back of the warehouse somewhere. I'll have a word with the boss and see if he can be nice and throw them out cheap to you guys.

The pics below is my own personal Falcon CR4 XL Install. I have Dip 3 On, Jumper 1-2 On and Xecuter's Double Shielded Pro Cable Installed and no Cap needed. My RATER results are 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1... ......

If you require support for you installation, do not ask in this thread - create your own thread and include photographs with a detailed explanation of your problem. Thanks.
    PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

Thanks

Re: CR4 XL - PHAT Install Guide

Reserved for update notifications

Edit Nov 6th: Updated DIP Settings info - clarified the instructions as per some members input.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ubergeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 563 Posts

Re: CR4 XL - PHAT Zephyr/Opus/Falcon/Jasper Install Guide (R-JTAG+)

I had issues with Falcon where I got a successful glitch then didn't boot to dash but it was resolved with editing the smc_config.

This specifically http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showt...l=1#post914484 should be in the CR4 XL guide for Falcon.

Values Ive seen, work are 8280 8380 8480, the last two had "POWER VCS CONTROL" values of 8555, but the 8280 one had a "POWER VCS CONTROL" value of 8665, try a few of those?
    SO:
    POWER MODE:POWER VCS CONTROL
    8280:8665
    8380:8555
    8480:8555
    I have done like 20 CR4 XL installs, mostly on Phat's and 3 out of 5 Falcon's (one Opus) required this smc_config edit to fix that issue. Specifically all three were fixed with 8280:8665.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WNYConsoles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I got asked about a Zephyr install with double shielded pro cable - here's what it looks like. You may or may not need to use a 22 cap.

Sorry about the ropy soldering and dodgy red electrical tape

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ubergeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NOTE: You can also use the JTAG ALT V1 QSB - It just takes a very simple modification using some electrical tape:

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ubergeek For This Useful Post: