Thanks
    Thanked 19,597 Times in 2,770 Posts

Thumbs up CR4 XL - PHAT Opus/Falcon/Jasper Install Guide (RGH2+)

CR4 XL - PHAT Opus/Falcon/Jasper Install Guide (RGH2+)

This is where CR4 XL gets kinda sexy, again it's the first and only glitch device in the world that has this capability. Not only does it provide killer R-JTAG+ support but also has kickass RGH2+ for BOTH PHAT & SLIM consoles all in one device!

This CR4 XL install guide covers Opus, Falcon & Jasper Motherboards using the special RGH2+ method. This PHAT method is recommended for those who don't want to or can't mess with PLL_BYPASS. This is not as powerful as R-JTAG+ however it can be useful with consoles that have problems with PLL_BYPASS or in scenarios where R-JTAG+ does not work as well for some reason. You can of course have the latest supported dashboard installed if you wish

Recommended Hardware:

(This is what I use myself in my own personal install)

• CR4 XL
    • CR4 PHAT QSB KIT (R-JTAG QSB V2 with AUD_CLAMP not required)
    • DOUBLE SHIELDED PRO CPU RST CABLE - PHAT
    • JR PROGRAMMER V2 (You can use a v1, v1.1 or a NAND-X and even a DemoN)

The CR4 XL Board comes with wires and tuning caps (the caps aren't needed with the RGH2+ method in my personal experience, the tuning is mainly done with dips and jumpers). I personally like to use the double shielded pro cables that Xecuter makes because it gives a perfect grounded line so you are guaranteed a clean wave. For less than a couple of bucks it's a no brainer - and i'm sure there are some bundle kits you can buy where it's probably thrown in as a freebie anyway.

I'm going to break this down as simple as I can. CR4 XL is as basic as it gets. We took all of the awesome results of R-JTAG & RGH2, fine tuned it to the nth degree and made the install as simple as possible and the setup as simple as possible. There's very little for you to do so I will keep this guide as simple as possible. Simple.

DEFAULT DIP SETTINGS (S1):
    This is the setting that we found to be the "center" value that was on average the best timing for RGH2+.

Remember all that crazy tuning that you had to do with previous devices like CR3 Pro, DGX & Slim Proto? Wire lengths and caps and POST qsb's and timing files and blah blah blah??? Well we've done it all the hard work for you with CR4 XL.

We have calculated every possible timing solution into the CR4 XL and it can be selected easily via the DIP switches (1 - 4 to be precise, 16 options in total). You should start with the CENTER setting of ON ON ON OFF as this is by averages the most perfect setup. You can then select -1 or +1 around this value. In our experience no caps were needed. Here are all 16 available options.

Using RATER with JR Programmer v2 and the K (KIOSK) wire is highly recommended to find your sweet spot. Then you should further tweak using the POSTBIT jumper and the CPU_RST cable (again use the grounded Double Shielded Pro cable that Xecuter sells or the IPEX cable - they are VERY cheap (no more than a buck fifty) so there's no excuse - don't be a cheap ass!

POSTBIT JUMPERS (P1):

These fine tune the resistor on Postbit. The jumper should be set to 0 Ohms by default. In a very few minor instances a 10Ohm or 100Ohm resistor was required to shape a perfect wave (we're talking 5 out of maybe 100 motherboards - so we added the option for those cases)

This is the complete QSB kit for Phat RGH2+ installs. The CR4 XL code was designed and tuned with these installed and are highly recommended to ensure a perfect install. They also come with all the necessary connectors for NAND-X, JR-Programmer, USB COMMS Cable & RATER. The R-JTAG ALT V2 QSB is NOT required for the RGH2+ install method.

Forgive my soldering it's a little ropey here. As you can see it doesn't get much easier than this. I have added a tuning cap just to show you where it sits but it didn't really need one (the caps legs should be cut nice and short, sitting as close to the board as possible - this pics was just for visuals only). You can add an extra wire to K for RATER auto reset support (KIOSK).

Extra Pads: ROL is for Ring of Light LED mod, CR_EN is for DemoN Coolrunner Enable/Disable Mod etc

DB1F1 makes a glorious return

This is not a mistake. FT6U7 is the correct point for POSTBIT and PHAT RGH2+

CPU_RST goes to C7R112. Again I highly recommend you use the Double Shielded Pro cable or the IPEX cable. It makes a helluva difference and we've made it CHEAP guys. No excuses.

Recommended end location. Nice and clean.

If you want to have permanent external access to the NAND, you can hook up an adapter we made a while back which is actually quite nice called the QSB EXT V3 but I think the price was a bit high so it's languishing in the back of the warehouse somewhere. I'll have a word with the boss and see if he can be nice and throw them out cheap to you guys.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE

Thanks
    Thanked 19,597 Times in 2,770 Posts

Re: CR4 XL - PHAT Opus/Falcon/Jasper Install Guide (RGH2+)

Reserved for future updates
    PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE