0031 error on falcon

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
ANSWERED: 0031 error on falcon

Needed to see a version one RF board from a phat as research for a different project I'm working on in another thread, so I picked one up on craigslist for $5 that has RROD and secondary code 0031. The guy I bought it from said it had red-ringed before and he took it to someone to have the fans set to run constantly and I see that a wire was run to do that. It RR'ed again after that, maybe x-clamp fix was applied or not, I don't remember what all he said exactly, but I do see that tape was added over some stuff because I can see it sticking out from under the heatsink.

Thinking I will tear it down, pull the heatsinks off, check for any obvious damage or goop all over the place, set the heatsinks back on without clamping and fire it up to see if it still errors. The first time I turned it on, it ran for about 30 seconds before 3 red lights, now it gets 3 lights immediately. Any suggestions on other things to look for?

Reason for posting here? Would any of the xecuter repair kits help out this kind of error? Also, I'm bored waiting for my diodes to get here so I can continue on the other project. :crazy:

Last edited:

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
got any high res imgs of it before removing anything? like just as you got it,thats what im curious to see pics of here.

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
I have the exterior casing off so far, but haven't jumped into the guts yet. Anything in particular you are looking to see?

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
I have the exterior casing off so far, but haven't jumped into the guts yet. Anything in particular you are looking to see?
pics of everything around the fan as you described. and look for anything thats been soldered onto it,any points for rgh that have extra solder on em or look like theyve been soldered to.

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
Photos located here: http://imgur.com/a/2oVlj

Positive wires for fan were clipped at the connector and soldered onto a lead that went around to the front of the mainboard. (Photos 1-3)

X-Clamps had been replaced with screws and washers, one plastic washer between heatsink and mainboard, one plastic and two metal between mainboard and case.

Thermal paste almost non-existent, very liquidlike, not at all like "paste". (Photo 8, also showing tape job)

I set the heatsinks back on the chips before cleaning them off and fired it up, green light for about 5 sec, then two red lights for about 1 sec and then 3 light RROD, but secondary code is now 0110. Overheat may have been due to [email protected] paste, I won't fire it up again until I get some new.

Don't see any evidence of previous glitch hack attempts. (Photos 4-7)

GPU has a lot of leftover thermal paste in the small chips, but that does not seem to be like the stuff that was on the heatsinks when I removed them, I will get that mess cleaned out if it seems worth trying to revive this box. (Photo 6)

Thanks for the help!

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
This should give you some ideas at what to look at to fix this problem.
My first thought is to get all the gunk out of those chips in the GPU with a toothbrush and some MEK. Then put some fresh paste on the heatsinks and see what happens. After that, I don't know. Never tried to revive a box before. The error codes seem to indicate a RAM problem, but I can't reflow or reball, but first things first, clean stuff up. If that works, should I look at getting a Xecuter clamp to replace the x-clamp fix that was already on this?

rghpro

VIP Member
Dec 5, 2013
If all the gunk you're talking about is the original thermal paste, I'd just leave it there as its non conductive and will likely just be a waste of time and result in no change. I have repaired so many xbox 360 phat units and sometimes I even wonder why I take the time to clean all the old junk from around the small chips on the CPU and GPU, as far as I'm concerned, its a waste of time and supplies.

(Sorry for my bluntness, I've been in this business for almost 15 years, I know dirty electronics is not a big cause of malfunction, thus cleaning is a false hope)

I will be surprised if just applying a new coat of thermal paste will fix it, I'm sure many will agree with me, on that, but if you want to try that, go ahead, but honestly, its just a waste of thermal paste and time.

The 0031 code is known to be a memory RAM issue, then you said you got a 0110 too, which strongly suggests a RAM issue, however, that may not be the issue, I always assume all RED light issues (except the known ones for other than motherboard issues) are a fault in the GPU, I gotta say, 99% of the time its the GPU, even when you get a 0110.

If you have no means for a reflow at least, take it to someone who does, please.... make sure they don't have a portable reflow station, also known as a head gun. Ask to see their reflow station, because if a reflow is done right and its the first time its been reflowed, then it should last at least a year or more, my customers often report 2 years and counting, of course thats with a fan mod, but not the fan mod that was in your pictures, I just edit the SMC CONFIG, its much better and does not even require a glitch as its not encrypted.

So yea, get it fixed right, the first time.

Last edited:

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
Thanks to all of you for your input on this. I'm going to call this thread closed and if I decide to invest in fixing the phat, I'll contact someone in the services wanted section.

consolemodz

BANNED
Nov 6, 2014
UK
only a reflow or reball of the RAM chips will solve the issue, anything else is just a band-aid fix and a complete waste of time.

MTWallet

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Austin, TX
only a reflow or reball of the RAM chips will solve the issue, anything else is just a band-aid fix and a complete waste of time.
Yepper, that is what I decided. My reply to gavin_darkglide was before he edited the post to include the link. So I was thinking he meant having done what I had done should give me an idea of where to look for the problem. I had pulled the info in the link he posted already, as well as info about a 0110 error, both of which reference reflow of RAM. After I get my slim up and running with CR4 XL and DemoN, I will try the heat gun method on the phat RAM.

No I won't, just kidding! I'll hook up with someone to do it right if I want to put any money into it. I already have two phats, a falcon elite that I R-JTAG'ed and a retail jasper MW2 super elite.

SlipknoT74769

Noob Account
Apr 23, 2015
I recently had the 0031 error, does anyone know if it's safe to keep the electrical tape on the board as long as it is isn't on the CPU or GPU chip? I have it covering everything except the RAM, CPU and GPU under both heatsinks. I would imagine since it isn't on any super heated components it should be ok right?

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
I recently had the 0031 error, does anyone know if it's safe to keep the electrical tape on the board as long as it is isn't on the CPU or GPU chip? I have it covering everything except the RAM, CPU and GPU under both heatsinks. I would imagine since it isn't on any super heated components it should be ok right?
start your own thread

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
0110 says ram on numerous sites,but reflow or reball of gpu has always cured 0110 for me.