LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM 0225, 9504/0272 exact same issue.

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Anyhow, down to business.

Girlfriend asked if I could crack her brothers xbox (slim) for a christmas present. I had done a few whites before, so agreed thinking it couldnt be that hard.

Purchased a X360USB for the job.

got down to "cracking" 2 nights before Xmas eve and discovered he had a sputnik dvd drive / chipset / whatever.
I didn't purchase a sputnik probe, so did a bit more reading and saw that a kamikaze could be completed on sputniks as well.
successfully grabbed the dummy.bin file from dvd drive and saved in a safe location.

(here comes the fun bit) Used a heat gun to try and take the epoxy off, and ended up burning the chip, didnt even get down to starting the kamikaze!(drive wouldnt detect through X360USB v2, when previously it did).
Messed around for a bit and came to the conclusing that I wrecked the board. Went down on day before xmas eve and purchased a 'replacement PCB board v1'.
Hooked the board up, flashed with 0225 LT 3.0 firmware, placed in xbox and tryed to play a backup and got the "open tray" error.

I thought I must have destroyed the laser when using the heat gun (yes, I know... I messed up badly by not removing the board whilst heat gunning it).
Anyhow, christmas eve I went down and purchased a replacement drive, swapped the PCB Board over and placed the drive in the xbox and got the exact same error. Further inspection revealed that I was given a DG-16D4S-9504, So I opened up, reflashed with 0272 LT 3.0 firmware, and got the exact same "open tray" error.

Since then I have attempted :
pot tweaking the 0225,
swapping lasers from 0225 to 9504 / 0272,
swapping lasers back (after cleaning with rubbing alcohol and cotton tips).
placing the stock PCB board back onto 9504 / 0272 and placing in xbox (still gets open tray error)

I ended up rushing down just before shops closed on xmas eve and buying my brother in law a new xbox and transferring all his content from one to the other.

I would just like to know where I messed up (on the 2nd drive, fairly sure I know where I went wrong on the first :facepalm:) and how I can fix it, preferably without spending any more money...

Sorry this post is so long, just thought I'd include as much info as possible.

Last edited:

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
Oops, forgot to add that. Yes I successfully got the dummy bin from the first drive before breaking it :) (have edited first post to reflect that as well)

Last edited:

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
I dont know what you actually did but lets face it, the money you spent on x360usb pro and the unlocked pcb is more than it would have cost you to get it modded by a pro.

Next time, use your head and think twice about what you are doing. Let this be a lesso. For yourself.

sarah1331

BANNED
Feb 22, 2012
1 load your dummy
Select yes to auto load and spoof
Flash resulting image
If it don't work try lt3 0225u
If that don't work try stock 0225
But if you have attempted a pot tweek on a slim you will prob need another laser anyway

Am I correct in thinking the orignal drive was a 0225 if it was a 9504

load your dummy
Flash resulting image
If it don't work try stock 0272
If your on dash lower than 13604 or 599 use 9504

Am guessing your flashing 0272 as the drive you purchased said that but what the drive that was in the console originally is what you want

If

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: c0det3st

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
I dont know what you actually did but lets face it, the money you spent on x360usb pro and the unlocked pcb is more than it would have cost you to get it modded by a pro.
Don't forget the new dvd drive and new xbox. :p

Have you got the JF Log
No unfortunately :( I will however try and re flash (do you think its just bad firmware / bad flash that is causing the error? The only reason I ask is that the original (from the 2nd dvd drive) PCB still gives the same error).

1 load your dummy
Flash resulting image
If it don't work try lt3 0225u
If that don't work try stock 0225
But if you have attempted a pot tweek on a slim you will prob need another laser anyway

Am I correct in thinking the orignal drive was a 0225 if it was a 9504

load your dummy
Flash resulting image
If it don't work try stock 0272
If your on dash lower than 13604 or 599 use 9504

Am guessing your flashing 0272 as the drive you purchased said that but what the drive that was in the console originally is what you want

If

Yes, you are correct that the 1st drive was a 0225 and the 2nd drive was a 9504.
I will try and flash again and hopefully I was just being a n00b and messed up with the firmware somewhere, although I think the error lies elsewhere as when I add the stock PCB (from the 2nd drive - 9504) back into the 9504 I still get an open tray error.

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

1 load your dummy

If

Yeah I tried that originally (when I assumed first drive was wrecked and bought the 2nd drive I simply took PCB from first and placed into second drive and still received the error, I haven't even hooked the 2nd PCB (from 9504) to JF)

I will, however, try and reflash in the next 30 mins or so and get back to you.
Thanks for the help so far :D

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
Ok, So I have re-flashed with LT 0225. Am going to attach the PCB board to the 2nd dvd drive now (the one that orignally came with 9504 f/w).

Here is a screenshot of JF after successful flashing (I hope anyway :) )

http://tinypic.com/r/hrdjz5/6

and here is my JF Log :

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JungleFlasher 0.1.92 Beta (304)

Session Started Thu Dec 27 21:56:23 2012

This is a Wow 64 process running on 2 x 64 bit CPUs 

X360USB PRO detected, Version 0.18

Found 1 I/O Ports.

Found 2 Com Ports.

Found 11 windows drives C: D: E: F: G: H: I: K: L: M: N:

Found 3 CD/DVD drives E: K: N:

Loading firmware file M:\XBOXO BACKUPS\NATHANS SLIM 16d4s-0225\Dummy.bin

MD5 hash:  4d0e03ce5fff3d5833831e9e52195d8d

Inquiry string found

Identify string found

Drive key @ 0xA030 EE6ACF97D8D27660A9E6CDBF08F2FA2B

Firmware Osig: [PLDS    DG-16D4S        0225]

Firmware is:  SlimKey Extract                 

Auto-Loading firmware file M:\XBOXO BACKUPS\JungleFlasher v0.1.92 Beta (304)\firmware\LTPlus-0225-v3.0.bin

MD5 hash:  1a38d3a2a6519339599fa1866642c513

Genuine LT plus v3.0

Drive key @ n/a FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Firmware Osig: [PLDS    DG-16D4S        0225]

Firmware is:  LT-Plus 3.0                     

Spoofing Target

DVD Key copied to target

Key Sector copied from Source to Target

Target is LT - ID strings not copied to Target

Sending Vendor Intro to port 0x0000

Status 0x51

Re-sending Vendor Intro: 

Serial flash found with Status 0x72

Sending Device ID request to port 0x0000

Spi Status: 0x8C

Manufacturer ID: 0xEF

Device ID: 0x11

Flash Name:  Winbond/NEX(W25P20/NX25P20)

Flash Size:  262144 bytes

Sending Spi UnLock request to Port 0x0000

Spi Status: 0x00

Getting Status from port 0x0000

SPi flash found with Status 0x72

Sending Chip Erase to Port 0x0000

Erasing:

Writing target buffer to flash

Writing Bank 0: ................

Writing Bank 1: ................

Writing Bank 2: ................

Writing Bank 3: ................

Flash Verification Test !

Reading Bank 0: ................

Reading Bank 1: ................

Reading Bank 2: ................

Reading Bank 3: ................

Write verified OK !

Sending Spi Lock request to Port 0x0000

Spi Status: 0x8C

Sending Vendor Outro to port 0x0000

Sending Vendor Outro to port 0x0000

Drive is Slim Lite-On.. 

Key found in KeyDB at record (5 - teest)

Key is: EE6ACF97D8D27660A9E6CDBF08F2FA2B

Key has been tested and verified, thanks C4eva !

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
UPDATE:
Put the drive back in the xbox and powered it up. The noise it made whilst trying to read was promising (made a whirling noise, but the time it took to go from "reading" to "open tray" and the position of the original / backup / dvd / cd seems like it only did one rotation before stopping).

Taking the drive out now and will try the other firmware.

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
Ok, so have flashed with "LTPlus-0225-v3.0u.bin".
these are the steps I went through :

-->went to firmware tool 32 tab,
-->pressed "open source firmware" button and selected the dummy.bin file,
-->it asked to auto load lt 3.0, I clicked yes, it popped up a dialogue box saying that the firmware could not be found (I removed the 0225 and placed the 0225 U f/w in there).
-->opened target firmware, selected 0225u F/W
-->selected "spoof source to target".

went over to MTK flash 32 tab
-->intro'd device
-->pressed 0x8c button, verified that it changed to 0x00
-->pressed write, verified write ok.
-->pressed 0x00 again and verified that it went back to 0x8c
-->outro'd twice.

EDIT :

Connected back up to xbox and tested, makes a different sound again and seems to try for a little bit longer, but same result - open tray. doesn't recognize any discs I put it there, whether it be a CD - DVD - Original 360 game or Original 360 backup.

Any ideas on what could be the issue as I am out of them?

Last edited:

jsinger47

Troll Eating Dogs
Feb 6, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
You probably killed both lasers while messing with them. The fact that you thought you had to use 0272 fw saddens me as well.

In the case of a spelling error, I blame Tapatalk.

keijo82

Dec 23, 2012
Finland
Can you swap the laser' ribbon cable or check that there is no fingerprint (on ribbon' connectors / or what is that word in english :D ) or something else dirt so it doesn't make a good connection to the laser.

c0det3st

Dec 27, 2012
You probably killed both lasers while messing with them.

In the case of a spelling error, I blame Tapatalk.
I would have thought so too, but the steps I took from getting the 2nd dvd drive are :

-->coming home with new dvd drive
--> opening dvd drive case
--> attaching unlocked PCB board (with 0225 firmware from original dvd drive already flashed on the board)
--> closing up and attaching to xbox.

From that point on, there is a good possibility that I may have damaged both lasers (by swapping them over and back again) but before that I fail to see how I could have damaged the 2nd laser.

@keijo82 - When I did in fact open the 2nd dvd drive (upon getting home with it) there was a finger print on the laser cable, but I have since cleaned it with a microfibre cloth. Will try swapping them over though.

stefff

VIP Member
Apr 16, 2012
if you got the org. firmware, and you got the replament pcb, it dosent matter what slim lite-on drive you get as long as you remember to manuel spoof the firmware so it fits the new drive..

all know that a 0225 is not the same as a 1175 as an exampel :) an therefore you need to manuel spoof the firmware to fit the new drive.. maype thats the problem you have?