LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM 1071 trace cut problem

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
Hi all, I was trying to flash my 1071(mxic) drive with Sputnik360 mx pcb. I cut the trace according to the instruction, but looks like I cut too hard that the small round pad(like a circle with a hole in the middle) on one side of the cut went off:facepalm:. Then I just soldered the board on anyway. I used jungle flasher and a desktop with intel ch9 chipset to flash. When I clicked slimkey it asked me to power circle the drive w/ in one second which I did, but it then said slimkey extraction fail. I am wondering it is caused by the trace cut. I connected the drive back to xbox and tried a few games and it worked fine. Please help.

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
I do solder pretty often so it should be fine. One questions: what is the symptom if I peeled the pad off?

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
Plz help. how to fix the broken pad? what does that pad go to anyway? is it possible to fly a wire on the other side of the board to fix it? Thanks

If you knocked the pad off it's going to be difficult to repair how are your soldering skills?

peterrepek

Nov 30, 2011
SLO
Like you mantion wire from one side to another. Most probably will work.
If enough solder on the truth hole then you can solder a wire in this place but is quite hard.
Another option is to solder a tini leg of an element (resisto diod whatever) truth the hole and then you have a place where you can solder and fix the problem.

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
can you tell me which leg/element is the pad connected to on the other side of the board? then I can use a multimeter to test if I did break the pad off. Thanks a lot!

Like you mantion wire from one side to another. Most probably will work.
If enough solder on the truth hole then you can solder a wire in this place but is quite hard.
Another option is to solder a tini leg of an element (resisto diod whatever) truth the hole and then you have a place where you can solder and fix the problem.

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
The pad is now covered by Sputnik360 board so you wont be able to see it. My questions are just

1. what happens if I did peel off the pad? Any symptom like can not read disc etc?

2. where does the through hole in the pad go to? any leg of the chip or other elements?

Thanks

post a good clear pic of your pcb..

peterrepek

Nov 30, 2011
SLO
I don't have any MXIC.
On the other side is a through hole like on the side that you damaged. It is very rare that some engineer will design a PCB with an element on top of the through hole.
Anyway you can try measuring the resistence if the resistence is 0Ohm or equal to the value that your ohm meter show when you shorted then you are on the right place.

x360ccm

BANNED
Jan 18, 2011
south coast UK
ok then try this ffs. it the same fix for winbond and mxic boards.:facepalm:

just put a wire from the c59 to the sputnik switch...

Last edited:

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
i c. Thank you so much for your reply. so the through hole goes to c59, right? may I ask why I need to connect c59 to the through hole on top of c31? I am little confused by that one. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

sorry, finally I got it. The through hole on top of c31 goes to the one side of the cut. Now everything is clear. thanks a lot.

i c. Thank you so much for your reply. so the through hole goes to c59, right? may I ask why I need to connect c59 to the through hole on top of c31? I am little confused by that one. Thanks again.

1almasmith

Aug 3, 2011
If you already have your key which you should have had before you solder you don't have to go the way you doing just load your key then flash it in jungleflasher.

WNYConsoles

Troll Eating Dogs
For some reason I feel like possibly there is no damage and the trace cut is still making a connection? I had this happen yesterday on a MXIC. Take a MM and test to see if there is still a connection, if there is you need to cut more.

Try making a second cut below where the trace curves down.

maxwellhouse

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2011
bad news. I soldered a line like the pic shows but still can not dump the key. solder might be the problem. c59 only has less than 1/3mm by 1/3mm for me to solder and I have to remove epoxy on it so I am not sure my solder works.

Now I am wondering if I can just drill into the hole where the missing pad was and solder a thin line through it. anybody knows if it might work?

Also, what will happen if I leave the thing as is? I have tried a few games and they all work fine so it looks like the trace cut does not affect disc reading.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

This was the first thing I checked. Yes, the cut is pretty deep and there is no connection between the two sides.

For some reason I feel like possibly there is no damage and the trace cut is still making a connection? I had this happen yesterday on a MXIC. Take a MM and test to see if there is still a connection, if there is you need to cut more.

Try making a second cut below where the trace curves down.