JTAG 1tb 360 hdd mod tutorial

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
HOW TO FIT A 2.5 1TB HDD IN THE 360 HDD ENCLOSURE

IF IMAGES ARE NOT VIEWABLE TRY VIEWING MY PHOTO ALBUM IN MY PROFILE THAN VIEWING THE TUTORIAL

MATERIALS

1) 1TB 2.5 sata HDD i bought a portable hdd and took it out of the enclosure

2) dremel and cut off wheels (perhaps sand paper would be a good substitute?)

3) metal sheers/tin snips (optional as you can use the tremel)

4) pliers

GETTING STARTED

If you bought some sort of external HDD for this than you will of course need to get the HDD out of the enclosure.

you will also need to disassemble your xbox 360 HDD enclosure for instructions on how to do this see here:
http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56165

go ahead and remove the HDD from the 360 enclosure and set it beside the 1TB HDD and you will see why it wont fit in the 360 enclosure.

see how much thicker it is? If you set it beside the disassembled HDD enclosure you will see its almost as thick as the metal shielding.

now what you will want to do is set the HDD on top of the metal cage facing the correct directions and such as if you were going to install it.

from here you will want to mark with a permanent marker at the sata plug end where the hdd ends and mark it acordingly like this:

those parts are to be cut and removed like follows:

also cut away the long tabs between the screw holes as well as the short metal tabs at the non sata end,
do not cut away the screw holes just simply bend them upwards for now.

once all the extra metal is cut away and the screw tabs have been bent upward set the 1TB hdd inside the metal shielding and mark the screw tabs from the inside where the HDD stops, the top part of the screw tabs above the HDD is now ready to be cut away.

after cutting the top part of the screw tabs away slot the remainder of the screw hole so you can mount the HDD to the steel shielding like follows:

Note that i used screws with rather large heads if you cut the screw tabs to low you will also have to use a large diameter screw head to make everything mount properly, also notice the screw heads have been ground down we will come back to that later.

next you will need to remove the metal sheilding by gently prying up in the center with a flat head screw driver, its only stuck down with some kind of black sticky strip.

Prepare to start cutting away at the top piece of the HDD enclosure, here is a picture marked out with every thing to cut,not to cut, and what to be careful cutting:

THE RED CIRCLE:
DO NOT CUT THE 3 PEGS CIRCLED IN RED these hold the HDD connector that connects to the 360 from being pushed back inside the HDD enclosure when you are connecting the HDD.

THE YELLOW CIRCLE:
when cutting away at what is circled in yellow (if you even need to im not sure i ended up cutting away at a lot of different things) BE CAREFUL because if you cut to much away it will be visable around the HDD logo on the out side of the enclosure

THE 4 GREEN CIRCLES ON THE OUT SIDE EDGE:

these 4 green circles on the out side edge on the inside of the enclosure mark a few diffrent things like: clips that hold the enclosure spacer trim in my case the silver part, as well as a little ledge that the spacer rests on and a few other plastic bits that sit kinda high.

cut away all the clips and ledges and such on both the trim and plug side of the enclosure, the clips for the trim are not need'd as the 4 HDD enclosure screws pass threw the trim also.

be careful when cutting around the edge of the plug side of the enclosure, if you angle to far to the out side it will scar and be visable.

THE MIDDLE GREEN CIRCLE:
no tricks or any thing here just cut it out, set it aside for later just in case you end up cutting those 3 pegs i said not to cut, i cut those 3 pegs and fixed the problem with this scrap piece of plastic.

in the end you should end up with this accept you should still have the 3 pegs (i cut them that how i know you should leave them lol)

with the trim ring resting on the enclosure:

the plastic trim should no longer be attached because we cut all the clips and such, make sure the inside of the plastic trim ring is even with the rest of the inside of the ring.

If you need'd to use larger head screws to mount your HDD inside the metal shielding you will want to cut away a little divot where each screw you used to mount the HDD is located be careful doing this as you dont want to cut threw the trim ring, you can also grind the screw heads down a bit, it should look something like this when you are done making the divots:

now dry fit everything together and it should all fit like it belongs no gaps and things of that sort if it does than begin to reassemble the enclosure with your 1TB HDD inside.

If it didnt fit right remove the trim ring and look to see what is keeping you from closing the case properly and cut it away.

here are pictures of mine assembled notice there are no gaps or any thing of the sort:

top view:

Last edited:
Reactions: troyday2

sherlock

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
not seeing any images here.

sherlock

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
everything ok now, nice tut

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
everything ok now, nice tut
ty only like the 2nd one i have ever written lol

i will probably add the 3 post fix tutorial to it also just in case they do need to be removed but i dont think they do

Last edited:

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
well done!
ty hodgie ty took bout 3 hrs to figure out what was keeping me from closing the damn case thats how i ended up finding out not to remove those 3 posts or at leat one of them need to stay i know at least 1 of them hold the xbox connection end in place

Last edited:

hodgie

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2011
Southern, VT (usa)
ty hodgie ty took bout 3 hrs to figure out what was keeping me from closing the damn case thats how i ended up finding out not to remove those 3 posts lol
a little frustrating, but it is fun in the end!! i did one with LED's and a window, and i tried one with the #250 in it. came out ok, i used super glue, and it clouded up my plastic. looks terrible now, lol! never again

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
a little frustrating, but it is fun in the end!! i did one with LED's and a window, and i tried one with the #250 in it. came out ok, i used super glue, and it clouded up my plastic. looks terrible now, lol! never again
took me a while to learn hot glue and flux are a moders 2 best friends lmfao

Nice Tut... :)

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
Many thanx, I am also planning to buy an 1TB 2.5" HDD.
I tought it would fit in the 360 HDD case. I was wrong, lol.

Nice tut!!!!
same reason they dont fit in a PS3 but you have to open the PS3 to case mod it for a 1TB to fit and i just didnt want to go threw all that trouble

if you buy a segate goflex 2.5 portable HDD you get one of these kool little USB 2.0 and 3.0 plugs that is not propitory to the external enclosure but it dosent power a full size drive either :/

comes in really handy for other things like for example you could still use your old 360 HDD as external storage no enclosure need'd you can also retrieve info from the old 360 drive with programs like xplorer 360 and what not

Last edited:

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
hmm where the heck did my images go?........ any one got a suggestion for a good image hosting site the TX image bucket dosent seem to want to co-operate with me for some reason

an admin can look at the first post and tell me what i did wrong or fix it for me that would be kool to just gotta do some thing bout this the tut revolves around the images

EDIT: ok im lost now the images are there how does the TX photo hosting work for some thing like this? lol

Last edited:
L

LoneWolf913

if any one has actually used this or wants to learn how to do this with a 360 slim HDD enclosure please let me know as i am thinking of updating it for fitting a 1TB into a slim enclosure when i do my RGH system some time in the next few months
1tb drives already fit in Slim enclosures bud, just did one for a guy. Toshiba 1tb 9.5mm 2.5" fits like a glove.

korn_16_f_t_l

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2005
Muir, Michigan
www.ps2hd.com
1tb drives already fit in Slim enclosures bud, just did one for a guy. Toshiba 1tb 9.5mm 2.5" fits like a glove.
WOW really? figured there would be the same issue....guess not good deal then less cutting and BS to do i suppose thanks for the info.....should be an easy migration from my dead E7X (dead south bridge) 1TB hdd to my soon to be RGH 360 then, even tho i plan to use my slim for XBL and legit purposes (ill be limited or forced to use external storage for the RGH portion due to the legit NAND limitations on HDD size) ill be able to dump my data with the RGH NAND

Support Our Sponsors