2.6.1 N64 Retroarch setup

Awit1992

Noob Account
Mar 19, 2019
USA
Just ordered my SX pro and I’m researching the best way to setup retroarch and am a little lost. I keep seeing conflicting advice on reddit on the best way to set things up now (NSP or NRO?)

With 2.6.1, should I install the NRO and the NSP forwarder that’s floating around? I read that’s the only way to open up full RAM and use the mupen64plus next plugin. But then I also read that it requires JIT which maybe in this last build?

Thanks!

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
You always need the NRO. The NSP is just a forwarder that allows you to launch RA with full ram. You can accomplish that by holding 'R' while launching any title, which will bring you to the hbmenu with full ram access. Then launch the NRO from there. I am not sure that the RA NSP has been updated in a while.

gjimenezf

Noob Account
Mar 1, 2019
One thousand years of pain
Here is everything you need for the best N64 emulation:
It includes latest Retroarch 1.7.6, NSP forwarder to use full ram, Latest mupen64plus-next with Gliden64 3.0 support and special configs for this core.
You need latest Atmosphere 0.8.5 or latest SX OS 2.6.1 because they have JIT patches.
Extract zip, copy files to MicroSd, install NSP file and launch from home screen not from homebrew launcher.
https://mega.nz/#!u9tUgKpb!p0rjlHPwwSLsvDKEhM7CmzrIO-SZizGfCI8xLQ0n528

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
It includes latest Retroarch 1.7.6, NSP forwarder to use full ram, Latest mupen64plus-next with Gliden64 3.0 support and special configs for this core.
You need latest Atmosphere 0.8.5 or latest SX OS 2.6.1 because they have JIT patches.
Extract zip, copy files to MicroSd, install NSP file and launch from home screen not from homebrew launcher.
where do u put the games at to try . thanks

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I created a roms folder on the root of my SD and then individual folders for each system there.

Jonesy9123

Feb 28, 2019
Canada
Alright so I just installed RetroArch's NSP and started up Mario 64. There's still a noticeable amount of lag and when I checked the Overclock settings it was already at max performance. I must be missing something. Using the Mupen64 Plus core btw not the Mupen64 Plus Next. Not sure if that makes a difference. Also I thought there was some way to turn on dynamic recompiler in the settings.

Awit1992

Noob Account
Mar 19, 2019
USA
Alright so I just installed RetroArch's NSP and started up Mario 64. There's still a noticeable amount of lag and when I checked the Overclock settings it was already at max performance. I must be missing something. Using the Mupen64 Plus core btw not the Mupen64 Plus Next. Not sure if that makes a difference. Also I thought there was some way to turn on dynamic recompiler in the settings.
Try using the most up-to-date nightly build of the Next core. It’s the one with all the recent updates and fixes.

Jonesy9123

Feb 28, 2019
Canada
Try using the most up-to-date nightly build of the Next core. It’s the one with all the recent updates and fixes.
Alright, I'll give that one a shot, also I'm not sure if I want to mess around with overclocking because I'm not sure how safe it is on the hardware, and I can always wait for further emulation support once they get N64 and PS1 games working without the need for overclocking.

Jonesy9123

Feb 28, 2019
Canada
guys i'm running latest SX OS but when i exit RetroArch the console Crash ?? any fix for this ? thanks
It did that to me as well when chose to exit from the RetroArch menu, It works just fine if you hit home and then close the software, assuming you have it as an nsp

as905

Noob Account
Mar 19, 2019
united kingdom
It did that to me as well when chose to exit from the RetroArch menu, It works just fine if you hit home and then close the software, assuming you have it as an nsp
yes that worked i didn't realise this was the way to exit Retroarch.NSP

thanks for your help

other issue i'm having is adding PS1 games, i can't seem to scan the files or ad cover art

Jonesy9123

Feb 28, 2019
Canada
No problem, and I'm going to be adding psx games soon as well. What format are your games in? and I'm not sure how to add cover art to any of my roms, I didn't think that was a thing on RetroArch.

as905

Noob Account
Mar 19, 2019
united kingdom
yes you can add covers on retroarch but i'm not sure how to do it for PS1 games. my PS1 games are in Bin format,i belive you can have them in img format as well but i have not tried this
No problem, and I'm going to be adding psx games soon as well.
will you add any games or do you go by a compatibility list ? if you have this list i would appreciate if you can share the link. thanks

Last edited:

Jonesy9123

Feb 28, 2019
Canada
yes you can add covers on retroarch but i'm not sure how to do it for PS1 games. my PS1 games are in Bin format,i belive you can have them in img format as well but i have not tried this

will you add any games or do you go by a compatibility list ? if you have this list i would appreciate if you can share the link. thanks
Good to know, and I've looked for a PSX compatiblity list but I haven't found anything yet.

special_ta

Feb 27, 2019
GREECE
Thank you very much. My son loves to play super Mario 64!!

Reactions: GNice22

Support Our Sponsors