A difficult one...

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
(SOLVED)

Hi everyone I have stumbled across a problem while flashing my friends Xbox Slim Liteon 0272.

I have never opened a slim before this occasion, although have done many phats over the years with 100% success and have also replaced many lasers.

So..... my friend asked me to give his slim a go. Making sure to do loads of research before hand, I felt confident in the kamakaze hack on the winbond chip. I had no trouble opening the slim, taking the drive out, making a full dump of stock fw and key, and outro reset easy peasy in latest jungleflasher.

I didnt plan on attempting the kamakaze hack that particular night, so we put everything back together, not expecting problems at this stage. After powering up to check everything boots up ok and runs originals, to my shock was "open tray" on every game and dvd after about half a second.

Obviously confused, I began to do some research that evening and found out that you should remove the laser ribbon before flashing. Although I hadn't "flashed" the drive yet I had only "read" from the drive, but of course still sending commands to it. I assumed the laser was dead due to me not knowing about the possible ribbon issue. Ordered a new laser for £5 thought that was the problem.

The next day I figured I would performed the kamikaze hack on the pcb, while waiting for the laser. This seems to have gone smooth without a hitch, unlocked the drive through Jungleflasher and flashed with LT 3.0, then relocked the drive, and outro reset.

At this point just to wait for the laser now, install that easy enough and everything will be fine I'm thinking. The new laser arrived this morning, I replaced the "dead" laser with a fresh one and yes I did remove static ball....... Just to find STILL OPEN TRAY!!!

Since checking wires are connected correctly, changing sata cable in the slim, I have come across this small SCRATCH (see pic) on the xbox motherboard underneath where the drive sits. I must have done it at some point without noticing while removing or puting back the drive. As the power/sata cables are so short it makes it difficult. I am thinking this could be the issue. However, I dont have enough knowledge on xbox slim motherboards. I do know however, scratches are not good! :mad2:

Could this be the cause of my open tray error? Everything else on the dashboard is fine no other problems with the console. Just remember the issue was present before flashing, so I dont believe it is the PCB. I can still read and write to it fine. Laser appears to be installed correctly also.

Please help guys! Please ask questions. Sorry for bad pic quality.

Last edited:

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
Thanks great idea I don't have one right now, but will do my best to borrow one tonight from a friend. If I do rule out a motherboard issue, is my best bet to buy a new pcb? I feel I have done everything I can think of, please throw out suggestions. Could a component have been damaged due to reading the key from a pcb? Never experienced that. Although I hope it is the pcb and not the motherboard. Already ruled out the laser.

Last edited:

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
I have switched the default sata cable to a regular length one and no difference, but power cable looks ok. Doesn't it only power the drive? Could that make a difference? It ejects fine and spins for half a sec when a game is put in.

I hate the cables in the slim there's no movability.

Last edited:

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
So if my drive powers up and ejects ok doesn't that rule out the power cable? I have a spare at home I can try in the morning I need to rule out as much as I can before buying a new pcb, which I still can't see it being. Anyone else experience open tray error after just reading a key?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I'd check over the entire board. If you've managed to scratch one area without knowing, who's to say you've not done something else?

Eliminate the drive completely by trying any working xbox DVD drive in there. It should play DVDs fine.

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
I'd check over the entire board. If you've managed to scratch one area without knowing, who's to say you've not done something else?

Eliminate the drive completely by trying any working xbox DVD drive in there. It should play DVDs fine.
I did think of trying an old phat in there and doing exactly that but would that make me more likely for a ban? I will do a double double check of the board and ports.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Provided you're not trying to play a game disc, there's no authentication happening.

Failing that, you can try the slim drive on a phat console - banned will do. You just want to eliminate one from the other.

Reactions: Forcer UK

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
Provided you're not trying to play a game disc, there's no authentication happening.

Failing that, you can try the slim drive on a phat console - banned will do. You just want to eliminate one from the other.
AMAZING... Thanks alot that helps me so much didn't think of it like that. Will update when I know more. I should still flash my key to the phat I'm trying first right? Does it matter if I use a phat benq? Any firmware or just stock? I don't have any banned consoles to test with.

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
Am definitely not writing anything to the slim drive. I mean on the old phat drive I'm puting in the console to check whether it's the drive at fault or the console. I will need to flash that drive with the slim key surely? If my phat runs fine on the slim, that proves my motherboard and all the inner connections are working. Then I will need to try a new PCB for sure. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I will also try the slim drive in an old Xbox I dont mind if it gets banned.

Last edited:

Forcer UK

Jan 31, 2011
London
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I did what Martin C suggested with the drive switching and running a dvd. I am not sure exactly what I have done but there must have been a loose connection somewhere as it now runs fine after testing it in my phat console. Very strange. Very happy the motherboard isn't damaged and now running backups on the slim great. Thanks again Martin. :D