ANSWERED A point to tap into for power based on DemoNs power state

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
I am really hoping someone can help me with this and a feel bad because I PMed a staff member and asked something similar in another forum, but I and too unsure and don't want to try anything on my own yet because I don't want to damage my DemoN.

What I need to do is really simply. I want to install a relay into the console that turns on when the DemoN is on, and turns off when the DemoN is off. In order to do this I simply need to draw power from something DemoN related (DemoN, its daughterboard, the ribbon cable, etc.) and know what voltage that power is (so that I know what relay to get), but I can just measure that with a multimeter. So does anyone know a safe place on the DemoN to take power from (obviously a point that doesn't provide power in standby, while the DemoN is off)? I only needs to be enough to power a relay. I either need to be able to do this or fine some other device that can flip a switch every time the power button for the DemoN is pressed.

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
CR_EN carries voltage at standby and is 3.3v when the DemoN is activated. Don't know if this helps.
I am using a CR3 Lite so I am not using that point directly, but if I tapped into that wouldn't it interfere with togging the power of the CR3? If not That could work because I could just get a relay that requires a voltage higher than the standby voltage.

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Dur a diode makes total sense. Also I was thinking about the CR_EN point on the Coolrunner attachment for older revs. I didn't realize there was another point for it on the DemoN itself. I think this could work. Thanks a bunch!

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, it's 3.3v when the DemoN is activated and 0v when it's off. It's these values whilst the PSU is connected.
Sounds good then. Any model of a diode you recommend? I mean I can just go to radioshack and an ordinary diode should do the trick.

Last edited:

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
One last thing. It is 3.3V when the DemoN is activated (but console is on standby with PSU plugged in), but is it also (and I would think it is) 3.3V when the console is actually on?

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
What sucks it that I am having a hard time finding a relay that powered by 3.3V (or 3V). Tons of 5V ones but the DemoN doesn't carry that much voltage anywhere.

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry to pick this up again, but I have been talking to someone on a circuits forum and they were saying that I could just use something like a 1n4007. Is there any reason that the 1N4148 is more desirable? I don't mind using the 1N4148 I am just curious as to why you recommended it other than the fact that I have seen it used in Xbox modification before.

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Ok, I do have a bunch of left overs and from what I read on the wiki article it does seem to be very efficient. Also, if you know anything about this, there was a worry about the relays "inductive kick" blowing through the diode?