A system update is required to use the microSDXC memory card.

ayemac

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2018
I tried posting this already, but it crashed and I can't find it. As a result, I may be posting this twice.

In a nutshell, I have a new Switch and a new SX Pro. Upon trying to use a 64GB microSD card, I got prompted with:

"A system updateis required to use the microSDXC memory card."

My question is this - is there a risk to allow the system to update it's firmware from the current v4.1.0 to v6.0.1, or is it much better to upgrade by way of ChoidujourNX (something I've never done)?[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

CJudgement

Dec 18, 2018
I came here to find out the exact same thing, only it wont be updating to 6.0.1 it would force the full update to 6.2.0 as it does this at the same time.

I have brand new switch currently on 4.X firmware and purchased the SXPro kit..

How can I do the update without losing my ability to use the CFW? I would greatly appreciate the help of people in the know.

Thanks,

ayemac

Noob Account
Dec 18, 2018
I did do a search, which is why I am aware of the “offline firmware update process.” I’m not asking how to do that – I’m asking if there’s a risk in allowing the device to update it’s firmware to 6.x through its normal process.

I reviewed the serial number before I bought mine, so I know it’s good to go. If you are saying that it’s OK and that the SX Pro will still work after updating the firmware, then I’ll update the firmware through the normal process (and not through the offline method).

CJudgement

Dec 18, 2018
Firmware version doesn't matter for SX Pro to work. (currently)

What matters is whether or not your switch has the new ipatch from the factory. If not, then it will work no matter which way you update.
The concern I have is in order to get any of this working you need to update the system to get the SD card reading. If you 'update' the system you will get 6.2 which supposedly burns fuses? It has been written not to update without first having CFW installed. In order to install CFW you need to have the SD card with the software on it..

Now we are back where we started in order to install CFW you need a working SD card, and..

I'm just not understanding how i can do this update safely without ruining the ability to run CFW.. I get that I can system update without going online, but that requires a Switch which has been 'updated' to be able to use the SD card already and mine has not. This would not be an issue if the switch could use the card without updating first.. :(

rayida

Noob Account
Dec 21, 2018
I'm by far not an expert here, but isn't it just the OFW that doesn't like SDXC? So do the hack, then put ChoiDuJour or whatever it's called on the MicroSD and install your firmware of choice from the same card as the SXOS has no problem reading larger cards (I did it from a 32Gb SDXC) following the same guide that slamride posted above. I was a bit confused because my Switch isn't banned, but it's the same steps, and then your new firmware can read the card. Don't forget to do the Nand backup.

olee_2019

Feb 25, 2019
Toronto
I just got the sx os pro dongle with firmware 6.2 and microsdxc 128gb sd card. Once I loaded the bootloader, I clicked the custom firmware button then it went to the home screen of the switch. When I clicked the album icon, it just flashes and y switch keeps saying I need to update the firmware to work with microsdxc card.

I guess I didn't read enough but to update the firmware to 7.0.1. Ooppss...

Now after the bootloader comes up, when I clicked on the cfw icon, the switch goes to black screen.

The questions that I have are:

1. how do I activate the os license if I can't even get into cfw.?
  2. should I wait for the new sx os version or should I downgrade the firmware version?
  3. can I activate the license offline if 8 have the os dongle?
  4. can I use atmosphere temperary for xci or nap games for now until sx os fixed the issue with version 7.0.1?

olee_2019

Feb 25, 2019
Toronto
Thanks for the info. When there is a fix for 7.0.1, will I be able to use my exfat microsdxc card? Or do I need to do something else to make it work with exfat format?

olee_2019

Feb 25, 2019
Toronto
Just curious, I did a nand backup before I update the firmware to 7.0.1. Can I restore the backup nand which was still on 6.2 to go back to the 6.2 firmware?

NexNus

Feb 18, 2019
hell
you can do that or you can downgrade from 7.0 or 7.0.1 to 6.0 with ChoiDujourNX and then update back to 6.2 using Choi as well if you didnt have a NAND backup

olee_2019

Feb 25, 2019
Toronto
Do you have any instructions on how to restore the backup nand? Will it brick anything after the restore? I heard that the new firmware had burned fuses and it might not work if we restore from previous firmware.

Is that correct?

NexNus

Feb 18, 2019
hell
Do you have any instructions on how to restore the backup nand? Will it brick anything after the restore? I heard that the new firmware had burned fuses and it might not work if we restore from previous firmware.

Is that correct?
it's normally correct if the update changed other securities in the switch, however you can safely downgrade from 7.0 or 7.0.1 to 6.0 even with burnt efuses.

it's best if you dwongrade to 6.0 and update back to 6.2 if you don't just use a NAND backup.

to restore nand just enter the SX RCM menu by holding +vol during payload injection and in the same area where you did a NAND back up there should also be a restore NAND option, it should tell you what to do to restore your NAND.

Last edited: