GENERAL Accessing User Data from an original 360 for use on a 360E

EngineerAndy

Noob Account
Apr 7, 2016
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to the many who contribute on here! As you can see I have just signed up, but have been trawling for weeks through the posts trying to learn the basics and hopefully find my solution... I have not been so lucky yet.

I see there are a few threads concerning this issue, but I can't get my head around them.

BACKGROUND
I have run a Gen 1 360 for years and after repairing 3x RRoD, I decided to buy a newer 360E - mainly as I needed to buy a HDMI converter for my old Xbox which costs the same as a 2nd hand 360E.

THE PROBLEM
When the Gen 1 died for the last time, I'm left with the external HDD with all the info on, however I assumed that I'd be able to put it into a SATA enclosure and run it from one of the external USB ports on my new 360E. It comes up as "un-formatted"...after my initial panic (and some late nights reading on here) I downloaded Part Buffalo (PB) which now has left me relieved that I can now see the data.

From this point I'm now stuck. I have tried formatting another HDD via my 360E and then transferring the data from PB via Windows Explorer, but it shows up as having used up space on the drive, but doesn't appear in the appropriate folder in the Xbox storage menu.
Party Buffalo.png
I see there is an "file injection" option, but I can't get the freshly formatted drive to appear in PB.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here, so is anyone able to help me? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
From what I understand you're trying to retrieve the data and in all likelihood probably running a different drive on the 360E. As Running4Hippos suggested remove the drive from the phat enclosure and pop it into the 360E. If you're not going to leave it there permanently, you could just align and drop the hdd into the hdd bay - it will have play on all sides but will work nonetheless. Power the console, transfer the data to a flash drive, put back the 360E drive and then move all the data to that drive from the flash drive.

EngineerAndy

Noob Account
Apr 7, 2016
Simple as that?! Wow...I've ordered one of these already to try that option. That's great if it is as simple as that.Thanks a lot for your help - I'll report back as soon as I've received the enclosure and everything is working.Andy

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
Simple as that?! Wow...I've ordered one of these already to try that option. That's great if it is as simple as that.Thanks a lot for your help - I'll report back as soon as I've received the enclosure and everything is working.Andy
no reason it shouldnt work,however ya mayyyy have to transfer licenses to the new console,which can be a pain as well.