An other zephyr with 4569 CB and 15574 dash that just RRODs with R-JTAG

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
For everyone with these freaking zephyr boxes trying the R-JTAG: an other anti-success story.

Symptoms:
Same zephyr as with others that RROD, CB_A, CB_B and CD all 4569, 15574 dashboard. Stock boots fine. R-JTAG, AUD_CLAMP 1.2v, dips 1-6 (tested one by one, dip 7 off dip 8 on as for zephyr) it always RRODs. Secondary error code 0010. With other voltages and dip settings it does not even boot / rrod.

I have tried the alt_cpu reset too that Martin suggested - with the same results. All soldering triple checked, switches and sh*t, all works out fine. Even checked with a multimeter because sometimes I tend not to believe my own eyes just to be 100% sure.

Since I do not have a rater (jr-p v2) and do not plan on buying just for this I cannot post exact rater logs, but I imagine it is the exact same sh*t I see around here (somewhere around code 21 - INIT_SECOPT then PANIC, RROD, *the end*) I cannot send the machine in for you guys since it's a customer's box and he wants it back now. Spent a few hours again on earning some more experience :) (not that I needed)

To be honest I have only bought a few R-JTAG especially for these sucker zephyr machines I had like 4 or 5 in the last year that could not boot or have been updated to 15574+. This first experience with this chip is quite a bad one. You guys could have made some more tests because quite frankly I have not seen just *one* success story with these sucker zephyrs on this forum. I believe you had one at least working but no one seems to have succeeded with these yet.

I hope something will be achieved with zephyrs while these suckers are still working :D

Reactions: ginncorvus

briggs01

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2013
For everyone with these freaking zephyr boxes trying the R-JTAG: an other anti-success story.

Symptoms:
Same zephyr as with others that RROD, CB_A, CB_B and CD all 4569, 15574 dashboard. Stock boots fine. R-JTAG, AUD_CLAMP 1.2v, dips 1-6 (tested one by one, dip 7 off dip 8 on as for zephyr) it always RRODs. Secondary error code 0010. With other voltages and dip settings it does not even boot / rrod.

I have tried the alt_cpu reset too that Martin suggested - with the same results. All soldering triple checked, switches and sh*t, all works out fine. Even checked with a multimeter because sometimes I tend not to believe my own eyes just to be 100% sure.

Since I do not have a rater (jr-p v2) and do not plan on buying just for this I cannot post exact rater logs, but I imagine it is the exact same sh*t I see around here (somewhere around code 21 - INIT_SECOPT then PANIC, RROD, *the end*) I cannot send the machine in for you guys since it's a customer's box and he wants it back now. Spent a few hours again on earning some more experience :) (not that I needed)

To be honest I have only bought a few R-JTAG especially for these sucker zephyr machines I had like 4 or 5 in the last year that could not boot or have been updated to 15574+. This first experience with this chip is quite a bad one. You guys could have made some more tests because quite frankly I have not seen just *one* success story with these sucker zephyrs on this forum. I believe you had one at least working but no one seems to have succeeded with these yet.

I hope something will be achieved with zephyrs while these suckers are still working :D
all mine have been jaspers and falcons upto now mate , i do believe TX are working on fixing this problem sometime in the near furter , hence the reason for asking people to send some in,

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
I was not asking for help just posted to let others know that zephyrs with R-JTAG can be problematic.
Therefore no install pics as it has already been desoldered and cleaned up & given back to its owner (I just flashed it instead).

However, I will have a similar xbox though next week-ish and if that wont boot again (zephyr too) then I'll post pics. You will find nothing wrong with them. If that wont boot then, then I'll consider R-JTAG with zephyr a no-go mostly.

Last edited:

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
So you think I must have messed up something? Any ideas you can suggest if I happen to come around an other zephyr? (soldering and connections were 100% ok).

I have already checked the at least 5-6 other posts on this forum with people having zephyrs and CB 4569 and RROD (and most of them tried all variations just like me, all dips, different voltages, aud_clamp and standard, alt cpu_rst and standard, no-go).

Again, the console boots normally with stock.

One more thing that could effect it (I doubt but still): this one had its cooling vents modded. It was wired up to fix 12v (-3x 0.6v drop on diodes so around 10volts) and had an "overcool" or what it's called installed, a small 555-based timer circuit that let the vents run after switched off for about 3-4 minutes. Could it interfere? I had no problems with similar or even water cooled xboxes with RGH. Could it make a difference with R-JTAG?

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
I see everything was soldered and connected as per the instructions. Every connection was measured with a multimeter. No short-circuits. JTAG wire was on. dip set for zephyr and 1.2volts. jtag aud_clamp was on, 1-3 shorted. Etc. all as is written in setup. I am a pro, so if something was messed up with it I'd be very surprised.

But anyway, I am glad you believe it's not the chip or its code but something that can be fixed by looking at the wires, wires setup, etc. So I'll post pictures next time and make the customer leave his box with me a few days at least if required.

But in the meantime I'd be so happy if I'd see someone posting about a successful zephyr R-JTAG and not just falcons and jaspers.

Last edited:

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
maybe it's a fake and not zypher.
or maybe there are more than one revision of ZEPHYR and the one on the video is the same revision av TX tested with R-JTAG? Or do you realy belive that TX intentionally would market stuff as working on zephyr if they knew it didnt work?

Last edited:

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
I saw that video already. Proves nothing. I do not believe it's a zephyr until I see the power connector on the back of the motherboard.

Anyway I also am sure that tx have tested it but it's just a different kind of zephyr that is rroding than what they must have tried it with. I do not think they sell sh*tty products TX stuff is of good quality (for the price it better be :) )

I think it must be something related to the xbox itself. Remember with RGH1 the success rate is 30-40% - lots of zephyrs did not work with RGH1. I myself have tried to do at least 8-9 zephyrs with RGH1 in the last year and out of them only 3 or 4 worked. The rest did not even boot. But all of them booted fine with stock nand.

It's a mystery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ginncorvus

acs420

VIP Member
Mar 15, 2011
Morton Washington
or maybe there are more than one revision of ZEPHYR and the one on the video is the same revision av TX tested with R-JTAG? Or do you realy belive that TX intentionally would market stuff as working on zephyr if they knew it didnt work?
I agree. Im sure TX is working up a fix for those nasty zephyr as we speak.