ANSWERED Bad Flash To Nand ? How To Recover !

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
If like me you are rushing around, and accidentally flash a xenon xell image to a zephyr or other board, then there are two things you'll notice
1) it won't power up dead as door nail.
2) the nandpro program won't recognise the flash chip any more so you can't write the correct image to the chip. OH DEAR!!!

There is help though by shorting a couple of pins on the nand.

The objective is to prevent the SMC from retrieving its instruction code/firmware, by shorting and confusing the data lines.

bridge the side of the indicated resistors with a flat head screw driver. You don't have to get all four points - 2 or 3 should do it.

sequence of events,
I disconnected power brick (minimum of 20 secs!),
shorted pins,
connected power brick,
wait 5 secs.
un-shorted points (removed screwdriver)
ran NandPro 2.0b. It now shows correct flashconfig again hooray!!:D
Pins 44-47 are I/O pins don't carry any voltage so to speak so chances or blowing something is less but not impossible so only do this if you are completely stuck and the alternative is to remove the chip bench program it.

Re-flashed with correct xell image booted linux flashed xbr all is fine now phew!!

here is another thing to try

This worked for me:

Unplug PSU.

Plug in PSU (1 second) nandpro usb/ltp: -e16 0 1

Nand erased then i was able to write an image to the nand, Xbox powered on again.

If this don't work for you you can try the 5v mod have a look over here.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700983

Ted

Last edited:

Noob Account
Jan 22, 2010
Re: Bad flash to nand ? recovery!

hi,

I have accidentally flash a xenon XELL image to a falcon board, then it won't power up also the nandpro program won't recognize the flash chip any more so I can't write the correct image to the chip.

I shorted pins 44-47 with a flat head screw driver as you do but I get red light in the adapter and the nandpro program won't recognize the flash chip also.

please help

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK

you shouldn't get a red light do it in this order, unplug the console bridge the pins, plug the console in remove bridge, run nandpro no need to press the power button on the console. light should stay orange (stand by)

Ted

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK

thought i'd better dig this back out, as it'll soon be needed lol.

Ted

bigcol8606

Noob Account
Jul 26, 2010
hi am new here but a fella called porchmonkey @360iso told me to look here this is where am stuck? i keep get error4000:programming block 03FF but every one can you help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcol
i know and gunna get laughted at but i updated from 8955 to 9199 on one of my jtags but wen i went to update my second jtag i forgot to change it to falcon from xenon and went ahead and flashed my nand now the console wont switch on at all lol oopps do you think if i wire up the lpt cable again i will be able to write my xbr.bin file back to my console

wen i plug a usb drive in the front the light on my pen drive lights up so there must be power running in my motherboard still

hope you can help thanks bigcol.

nice nice

i experienced the same once.
that time i was beta testing xbr_3 and they havent changed the SMC for each console that time.
so i flashed a xenon smc to my falcon lol..
thats why there now is a XBR_3a <-- pwahha

anyhow, you need to connect your xbox360<-lpt/usb->pc
then you have to short circuit your nand.
yeah i know sounds WTF bad. but it works.

may this will help
but seriously READ IT! you can 100% fry your xbox by doing stuff wrong!

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52213

regards

finally got around to do this am doing it via usb but am writing the xbr.bin back on at the minute but every block says error4000:programming block 03ff but every one can you help please

thelinuxraptor

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2010
MEN!

I tried the above (very elegant, btw) but it did not work. In the end, i think it is because it is very difficult to hold the screwdriver that you use flat enough to nail all of the correct pins on that tiny surface area (maybe my fine motor skills are shot), HOWEVER, I tried the more primitive solution to this by shorting out ALL connectors on the chip, but the psu kept surge-suppressing. I played around with it for a while, and found that when I shorted the pins on the left side of the chip (end closest to the front of the xbox), the psu light would turn red and therefore kill power to the board. When I shorted the right side of the chip (facing the south bridge), the psu didn't give out,. Just for grins, I tried shorting the right side only, plugging in the psu, and flashing the nand. IT WORKED.

SO if your power supply keeps giving you the red light, try shorting the entire right side of the chip in the same sequence as this solution. I'll warn you that the above way is much less dangerous, as this method can damage your nand chip! Only try this after trying the original post!!

maxallepi

Noob Account
Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. My problem: I successfully dumped 3 matching nands all identical then used flash tool and wrote Xell but it seems Xell was not the right one for my falcon and died. After that i could not read flash controller. I was sure it wasn't my soldering( because it dumped error free and wrote xell error free) so i assumed it was something with ether my xbox, my NAND-X or Xell.
Thats when i came across this thread so i tried bridging 44-47 with a small flat head screwdriver but no success. I followed big teds(your :) ) tut perfectly.

This happened as soon as wrote Xell.
So Big Ted any ideas?

rocket8080

BANNED
Jul 9, 2010
uk, Oxfordshire
This method does work, just keep having a couple goes at it. I spent a hour until I got this to work for me.

maxallepi

Noob Account
Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
This method does work, just keep having a couple goes at it. I spent a hour until I got this to work for me.

Thanks rocket. I tried for about 20 minutes so i just gave up :) . I'll try again after work. Im still convinced that xell is the number one suspect :mad:.

rocket8080

BANNED
Jul 9, 2010
uk, Oxfordshire
If you have flashed the wrong xell, and it sounds like you have, as far as I know this is your only solution.

Repoman 108

BANNED
Sep 22, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Can anyone confirm whether this works the same on an Xbox 360 Slim? Half way through a Nand-X image write my Nand-X gave me a bunch of errors, and now I can't reflash the console. It was a brand new Slim so I really NEED to get this working. Worst case I was thinking I could buy a 360-Clip and use that to flash the TSOP chip directly?

nofeloniesyet

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
would like to add another solution after bad nand flash (only do this if ya already have a copy of original nand btw) is run nandpro,and have nand reader hooked up,but dont plug power into the console yet,put the erase command into nandpro (or jrunner advanced nand options) and hit erase nand,but sooooon as ya do plug power into console.if ya time it just right itll erase the nand then ya can have ax to it again,done this a million times.

Reactions: axavr

Support Our Sponsors