Ban prevention tips using SX

isasaurio

Jun 23, 2018
Chile
First of all, clarify that there is nothing official on the subject, and if you decided to Modify your console is your own responsibility and most likely is that sooner or later you end up banned.

First, before activating the SX, go to the eshop and download the game Pokémon Quest (If you are banned, you can install future updates using DevMenu, which specifically uses this game to work).

Then from OFW (original firmware), create a specific user to play backups that have no connection with Nintendo.

After activating your SX.

Before launching SX to load Backup, being in OFW go to the internet settings and delete all the connections you have, then put the console in airplane mode.

It goes without saying that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER use a Backup game in Online mode, that's Ban sure.

You can update the Backup games from OFW, by pressing the + button and selecting the option to update the game.

According to what I have read in many forums, if you are not banned, the use of NSP games considerably increases the chances of you being banned.

The only 100 safe way to use CFW (custom firmware) and not be banned, is to do a backup of the NAND before and every time you use the CFW and want to use the OFW reestablish that copy of the NAND, process that is very very cumbersome and it demands a lot of time.

surely there are more tips, so if you know of any, we add it to the list.

Let's continue writing this risky story together :cool2:

Last edited:

KS212

Noob Account
Jul 27, 2018
If you go online with anything.... you're going to get banned. The only thing probably safe is updating the console firmware itself in OFW which is a normal legit move.

Updating/using NSP you didn't buy = easily trackable and easily banned
Updating using XCI you didn't buy = will take longer but it will get banned eventually as it depends on how many ppl are using the same XCI, once the cert tracks enough users they'll know its 'stolen'

RazorX2018

VIP Member
Jul 3, 2018
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Not to install NSP but to use the DevMenu can probably help to install some future update of the console, after one is banned.
the only useful thing on the dev menu is the nsp installer and save import/export and we have a homebrew app for that so it's pretty much useless at this point.
any update you need to install in the future will most likely be an nsp file which you can install using the install tab on Album

isasaurio

Jun 23, 2018
Chile
Tips to not be banned implies that there is a "safe way" to play your modded console online. Any advice in this thread should be taken very lightly.

Modding console = Ban risk

The ONLY method I would condone is a full emmc backup, then use a dedicated SD card just for modded content and stay offline. Then if you ever want to try and return to stock you can remove the SD card and restore the emmc. That "might" keep you unbanned.
You're right.
At the moment all that I have put up has worked for me, I still do not get banned, in fact take a while to finish playing Splatoon 2 in Online mode.
I hope the ban never comes.

Dudelbug

Noob Account
Oct 28, 2019
Canada
——-Online Play Question———-

Hello. I’m running SXOS on my switch. I have never gone online with the switch but I have updated the switch firmware offline. Everything is working great. Great job 🙂

Here is my problem. My daughter is a huge Pokémon fan and wants to be able to play Sword and Shield with her friends online. I’m OK with paying for the game and teaching her how to reboot into the regular switch OS when loading the cartridge. But the switch has so many hacked files and even one downloaded game running of the switch’s internal memory (Smash Brothers) I’m concerned that Nintendo will brick the switch and after spending $80 on this game she won’t be able to play online anyway. What do I need to do to prevent being busted by Nintendo and still allow my daughter to play purchased games online???

nanty

Feb 1, 2019
Europe
——-Online Play Question———-

Hello. I’m running SXOS on my switch. I have never gone online with the switch but I have updated the switch firmware offline. Everything is working great. Great job

Here is my problem. My daughter is a huge Pokémon fan and wants to be able to play Sword and Shield with her friends online. I’m OK with paying for the game and teaching her how to reboot into the regular switch OS when loading the cartridge. But the switch has so many hacked files and even one downloaded game running of the switch’s internal memory (Smash Brothers) I’m concerned that Nintendo will brick the switch and after spending $80 on this game she won’t be able to play online anyway. What do I need to do to prevent being busted by Nintendo and still allow my daughter to play purchased games online???
Not sure why you necroed this instead of making a new topic but alright...

Doesn't sound like you are using emunand. So you will need a nand backup you made before hacking your switch.

1) Backup all your saves with checkpoint.
2) Revert back to the nand backup.
3) Update the switch using nintendo servers.
4) Delete wifi settings.
5) Then create emunand.
6) Boot into sysnand (that is when you start the switch without pushing a payload/without booting into sxos) and put in wifi settings again. Sysnand is now ready to play online.
7) Boot into emunand. install all your games again. Start each one (opening them for a few seconds is usually enough) and import your saves. Emunand is now ready for whatever hacking and/or pirating you want to do.

This seems save for now. But the only guarantee is to not hack on the console you take online. Also you will need a Switch Online membership to play that game online.

Dudelbug

Noob Account
Oct 28, 2019
Canada
Thank you nanty!
so if I understand correctly sysnand is the stealth mode? Or an actually in modified Switch firmware?
So assuming I have a pre-game install nand backup from when I initially hacked the Switch. I think I made one before updating to the latest SX OS supported firmware. Hopefully before I installed any downloaded game backups. Does that mean that every time I want to boot into SXOS I would have to re-install all the games? Or does emunand emulate the original nand so Nintendo will not catch me?
What if I don’t have a pre-hacked nand backup???
Also will it require 30GB of space on the Switch built in memory?

nanty

Feb 1, 2019
Europe
Thank you nanty!
so if I understand correctly sysnand is the stealth mode? Or an actually in modified Switch firmware?
So assuming I have a pre-game install nand backup from when I initially hacked the Switch. I think I made one before updating to the latest SX OS supported firmware. Hopefully before I installed any downloaded game backups. Does that mean that every time I want to boot into SXOS I would have to re-install all the games? Or does emunand emulate the original nand so Nintendo will not catch me?
What if I don’t have a pre-hacked nand backup???
Also will it require 30GB of space on the Switch built in memory?
No, sysnand is the nand on the system. As in not a nand that is emulated and located on your sd card.

When you create an emunand it copies your sysnand at the time. So at first it is identical, all the save games and game you have are there. But any changes you make after in emunand will only be on emunand. So no you will not have to install games each time. Only the first time - unless you have no pirated games, in that case all your legally bought games from the eshop are there.

If you don't have a clean nand backup then you should not go online.

The emunand can be created on the sd card.