Basic Noob Questions (Lite-On version and SATA)

urakh

Noob Account
Sep 20, 2010
I'm trying to figure out what Mod to purchase but I need some very basic (Noob-ish) questions to answer.

This far I've reasoned that:

1) Based on the power port for my Xbox 360 I know I have a Xenon motherboard (year 2005-ish).

2) My dashboard version in the system settings is good/old. (2.xxxxx)

2) Based on the exposed color of the wires in the front (yellow) without the bezel on, and the drive caddy configuration (no-holes) I have a Lite-On drive.

But I'm NOT sure what version Lite-On I have. Can I be entirely sure without opening up the xbox in advance that I have a series 7 Lite-On (based on the motherboard age alone) or can this only be revealed with any certainty when I've opened it up and looked at the drive label?

Edit: Wouldn't ya know it, just after I posted this I found http://team-xecuter.com/how-to-identify-probe-the-liteon-74850c-dvd-drive/ My question still stands as this: Do I have to open up my case and look at the DVD drive to be sure I have a series 7 Lite-on - like in the tutorial- or can I use some other reasoning?

When I was registering on the forums I was asked what SATA chipset I had. I couldn't seem to do a basic google for the answer to that concering the XBOX 360. So is the forum registration SATA question for the XBOX 360s SATA chipset or is this for the PC SATA adapter card that I'll be using to flash the DVD with? (not purchased yet either)

Thanks!:p

-Urakh

p.s. I've spent some time looking these questions up on google, youtube, and here. Either I've either phrased the questions incorrect on the search or I'm so noobish that I've set the bar to a new low (gulp). :D

Last edited:

urakh

Noob Account
Sep 20, 2010
Looking at the back of the xbox for the date-- above the VGA port and the bar code-- I find the respectable age of 2006-07-31.

(FYI The xbox was sent in the the RROD once about a year ago.)

-Urakh

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43
Looking at the back of the xbox for the date-- above the VGA port and the bar code-- I find the respectable age of 2006-07-31.

(FYI The xbox was sent in the the RROD once about a year ago.)

-Urakh
hi,
if it was sent to MS for RROD fix, they may have updated the firmware. If it was a year ago, it has a chance to be 83*** v1 or 83*** v2. If its the latter then you'll have to do solderless solution, either LT switch or Probe & cuts.

dale;)

sick360mods

BANNED
Mar 22, 2010
Longisland , New York
if it is that old then it will be a 7 series 95 percent of the time. i dont think ms will change to a different dvd drive becuase they are cheap and probably dont want to go thru it.

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43
if it is that old then it will be a 7 series 95 percent of the time. i dont think ms will change to a different dvd drive becuase they are cheap and probably dont want to go thru it.
hi,

Ive has a few xboxes that have come back from MS after RROD fix with the original label been covered over with a new label cos they had upgraded the firmware

dale;)

urakh

Noob Account
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks for the tips guys! So this much I can figure out from the answers: The only way to be sure of what Lite-On version I have, 7 or 8 (based on the age of my xbox) is to open her up and peek. So should I get the Blaster, use the included kit to open up the box, then if the label says a version 8 Lite-On, stop and get a Xecuter Probe 2 to get the drive key? Thanks! -Urakh

Last edited:

Genocide112

May 26, 2010
Not necessarily, you'll need a probe for the 7 series drive anyway...if its been upgraded to 8 series firmware, it could be either v1 or v2.

v1 = no probe required at all
v2 = trace cuts and probe v2 required ;)

With it being that old, it'd be a 7 series if it's a liteon, but as dale says, it could have been upgraded when MS fixed it...to either v1 or v2 8 firmware (tbh, I didn't know it was possible but i've never sent a xbox off to MS for repairs :) )