Best Soldering solution for RGH

Soldering iron or temp controlled station?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gstyle17007

Apr 14, 2012
newcastle
Hi everyone just got my new x360usb pro v2 package with all tools etc.

Flashed my drive successfully after reading guides for about a month. (much easier than I had anticipated thank to your great products and forums)

Now I am wanting to RGH a few consoles, 5 slims to be precised, I have been waiting for the coolrunner v2 to come out, also I am aware of the current news - situation about RGHing.

Now to the point.

I currently have a 12w antex I usually use for different things. I have read on this forum that a 15-25w soldering iron is perfect. Though I am debating on purchasing a antex 660tc temperature controlled soldering iron.

In the long run would you recommend the temperature controlled 50w iron (can get a 25w iron to stick on the temp controlled system)

OR would you recommend a basic 25w antex with 0.12 tip.

Thank you in advance and sorry if I bored you reading it, just realized i have written a story. :D

gstyle17007

Apr 14, 2012
newcastle
Thanks just debating which is more likely to lift a pad with and which is going to be less damaging for the board (more wattage I reckon)

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
If you can solder, you're far less likely to damage anything with a higher wattage iron. I use a 50W variable iron, set at around 375c for most work. A 50W variable temp iron will be a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: gstyle17007

gstyle17007

Apr 14, 2012
newcastle
If you can solder, you're far less likely to damage anything with a higher wattage iron. I use a 50W variable iron, set at around 375c for most work. A 50W variable temp iron will be a worthwhile investment.

Great advice thank you very much!

Its not very often an admin helps out new members on a forum.

Really appreciate it

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
I personally use a standard 30w soldering iron which does the job just fine (where JTAG and RGH installs are concerned), but I think a variable temperature iron is a better way to go about things.

Last edited:

KhaineGB

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2011
Liverpool, UK

To add to this, I use my iron at 350C.

With flux and tinning points, I've never had a ripped pad or trace. I also use tin/lead/silver solder though (believe its a 60/37/3 mix).

-DoC-

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2004
US
I added the Hakko to the options - I have one of those :p
I have a hakko station which works very well but by far the best stationery I own is the JBC but it's $$$. I use the JBC with a 21mm spatula for gpu work and the recovery time on it is amazing.

For general soldering and CR working I use my Hakko

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TilVl

VIP Member
May 11, 2011
I use a 15wyatt hakko soldering iron I bought back in the ps2/xbox days. I want a digital but move way to much to lung all that stuff around.

Oggy

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Mar 1, 2010
I use a weller whs40, great iron but just not good enough for what i plan to do with bga's.

I'd love a genuine 888 but no chance of getting one in the UK without big bucks.

Antext c15's are fine for RGH'ing though, really, and the 0.8mm tip (or is it 0.6) would be perfect for a noobtard.

gasmask

Aug 1, 2011
I did my 2 first successful RGH-s with 40W soldering iron.

And now i use this baby to do the rgh (350 degrees):

I think it was around 15€ and called "Magic Soldering Iron with mouse".