bios functions??

mangler

Noob Account
Oct 21, 2004
cos
I am new to this and have not been able to find the answers to these questions.

The X3 chip has 2MB of flashable bios area and a 256KB backup flashbios area....or so I think. That being said is the only time you need flashbios loaded is to load some other bios like the X3 bios or if the currently loaded bios is corrupt?

When I originally installed my chip the flashbios screen came up, is that because the only loaded bios was flashbios and was that bios loaded into the 2MB area?

Is the 256KB backup area seperate from the 2MB area? What area is protected via the flash protect switch? And is it important to keep the backup area current or just be certain it is usable?

My last quiestion is, do i need to have flashbios loaded into some other region other than the backup region in addition to X3 bios? If so how to I accomplish that?

Thanks, and I'll take this info and create a tut for dumb-ass noob's like me so this wont have to be gone over again.

mangler

Noob Account
Oct 21, 2004
cos
do more research...

great, where?

If you have the info I am asking for would you pls be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Cryptic answers dont help.

thanks

hitechoutlaw

Oct 5, 2004
USA
mangler said:
I am new to this and have not been able to find the answers to these questions.

The X3 chip has 2MB of flashable bios area and a 256KB backup flashbios area....or so I think. That being said is the only time you need flashbios loaded is to load some other bios like the X3 bios or if the currently loaded bios is corrupt?
thats right
mangler said:
When I originally installed my chip the flashbios screen came up, is that because the only loaded bios was flashbios and was that bios loaded into the 2MB area?
it came up because there was no bios in the 2mb area so it jumped to the backup.
mangler said:
Is the 256KB backup area seperate from the 2MB area? What area is protected via the flash protect switch? And is it important to keep the backup area current or just be certain it is usable?
1)i think so 2)all of it i think 3)untill you get the x3 bios running smothly with no problems then you souldnt touch the backup, when you feel certain that it is smooth then you can upgrade to the newest flashbios but you dont have to
mangler said:
My last quiestion is, do i need to have flashbios loaded into some other region other than the backup region in addition to X3 bios? If so how to I accomplish that?
nope, unless you want to test a beta version, then use the 2mb area and dont flash over the backup with it

fell free to correct me if i'm wrong

Cheers

mangler

Noob Account
Oct 21, 2004
cos
Thank you!

Is there some documentation that describes this that you could point me to?