Black screen weirdness

generic_handle

Noob Account
Jan 15, 2020
Earth
Just got an older never used switch that was definitely not patched.

I get the jig in, the dongle, everything loads but when I try to click on a firmware to load (doesn't matter if default or custom FW) my switch just goes black screen and the power button becomes unresponsive.

I can mess around with plugging the unit into a charger and playing with the power button then get the thing to load up the dongle again but now I can not get the switch to run either FW and now the screen always is black unless the dongle is in it.

Also from the first time I connected the dongle the green light wasn't on. I didn't even see a green light until I plugged it back in for the 4th time.

Someone please tell me this brand new switch is not a toaster now.

Alchemy.Gaming

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Mar 11, 2019
US
Hold power for 15 seconds, and then make sure you are using SX OS 2.9.3 and a FAT32 card. Also make sure your dongle is charged via the Micro USB port.

generic_handle

Noob Account
Jan 15, 2020
Earth
The power isnt the main issue.

The issue is once the loading screen shows up on the and I can select default or custom FW, clicking either goes to black screen.

As I said, I can get the power to cycle eventually but all it does is go back to the FW selection screen. I literally can not boot a working system that actually plays games now.
Unintentional bump: using the new beta version for some reason solved it.

BTW how can I open files larger than 4gb if I only use FAT32?

Last edited:

generic_handle

Noob Account
Jan 15, 2020
Earth
Now when I plug the included charger cable into the dongle the green light doesn't turn on. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't but now after getting the thing working once and installing autoRCM the switch wont even turn on.

NexNus

Feb 18, 2019
hell
Now when I plug the included charger cable into the dongle the green light doesn't turn on. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't but now after getting the thing working once and installing autoRCM the switch wont even turn on.
what version of SXOS are you using and what version number is the system using?

something to think about, When you install auto RCM, the Switch will turn on but the screen will be black (it will look like it's not on) unless a payload is injected, It will not boot into the switch OS due to being redirected to RCM mode on boot with auto RCM. maybe you have to charge the dongle first (give it 4 or 5 minutes) and then it will work.

Last edited:

Alchemy.Gaming

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Mar 11, 2019
US
The power isnt the main issue.
I understand that but it's the first step after you're stuck in RCM mode.
The issue is once the loading screen shows up on the and I can select default or custom FW, clicking either goes to black screen
This is solved 99/100 times by either updating your boot.dat tothe latest, or formatting to FAT32.
BTW how can I open files larger than 4gb if I only use FAT32?
When you dump your game to a FAT32 card, it will automatically be split. If you already have all of your games dumped, you can use an exFAT HDD to install games provided you have the exFAT driver installed.
Now when I plug the included charger cable into the dongle the green light doesn't turn on.
This happens sometimes to me too when the dongle is dying. I put it back in my Switch and use power and vol+, and then it accepts a charge again. I think it has something to do with the dongle memory being locked.
now after getting the thing working once and installing autoRCM the switch wont even turn on.
Hold power for 15 seconds and try again. When autoRCM is enabled, remember that the Switch will not boot without your dongle and SD card.