Status
Not open for further replies.

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
We saw a number of our users reporting that their X3 install went perfectly - FlashBIOS came on screen correctly etc - however after flashing with the X3 Bios they simply got a black screen (No Video or Sound) however a solid green LED and NO frag.

At first we figured there was possibly a bug in FlashBIOS but was a little dumbfounded as thousands had used it successfully on all Xbox versions with no problems whatsoever.

So we had one of our users send their Xbox to us. After testing flash with HTTP / Disc & HDD thats exactley what happened - a black screen with no video and sound.

One thing that would work fine was the X2 bios or even the Evox and Ind Bios 256k bios's - so could it possibly be something to do with flashing bios's < than 256k ?

Then it dawned on us - All bios's will boot perfectly with a standard LPC install - however the X3 Bios utilizies LPC points 13 & 14 to tap into the i2c bus for X3 Config Live. We cracked open the Xbox, touched up points 13 & 14 on the LPC and fired it up. Waddya know - X3 Config Live came on screen

So to all of you who have this problem - make sure those two points are soldered correctly and all your troubles will be over. Thanks to Jez for sending us his Xbox

ganjaking

Oct 29, 2004
kentucky, usa
Re: Blank Screen After Flashing X3 Bios - SOLVED !

X3 ROX MY BOX! Thank you very much for the help. sh*t was driving me CRAZY. resoldering 13 and 14 is all it took. So if anybody says that that didn't work, DO IT AGAIN. Thanks again for all you time and effort put into fixing this problem for us.

peace

AEgawd

VIP Member
Nov 2, 2004
Virginia

resoldering 13 and 14 is all it took. So if anybody says that that didn't work, DO IT AGAIN.
we've been saying check your soldering forever! im glad to see its finally getting through to some of you less mechanically inclined types. too bad its taken this long.

Jango

VIP Member
Dec 6, 2003
England

did mine touched up soldering and it worked :)

merlin001

Oct 9, 2004
Cal-i-forn-ia

That was it. The connection looked good. I even tried an ohm test, and it showed virtually no loss. But, I resoldered those two pins, and it's working now. Thanks so much!

~ David

Jango

VIP Member
Dec 6, 2003
England

dude try again.. took me a few times to get it working

aracno

Noob Account
Jul 26, 2004
italy
Re: Blank Screen After Flash X3 - SOLDER LPC 13 & 14 COR

hi,

ok after have resolder pin 1,13,14, the xbox working fine whit bios 1959
Thanks a team xecuter

xbox 1.4
pinheader
hdd 120 Gb x 3
philips
x3

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com

aracno said:
hi,

ok after have resolder pin 1,13,14, the xbox working fine whit bios 1959
Thanks a team xecuter

xbox 1.4
pinheader
hdd 120 Gb x 3
philips
x3
these are the posts that I like to see - users admitting that we are right in telling you what your problem is - users outlining exactley what they did and users posting to help others.

like we say all along 99.9% of the time its your soldering and not a faulty mod.

thank you for letting us know - enjoy your X3 :)

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com

Re-cap:

If you get FRAG then your install is bad. I dont care if you keep posting your soldering is perfect. It isnt. If you want to prove it send it to an installer and they will do it for you. Ive seen this "perfect soldering" a thousand times and let me tell you I would have thought my pet parrot did it :)

if you get a blank screen after flashing latest X3 bios with FlashBIOS then the Xbox is NOT reading your X3 Eeprom - which is accessed thru pins 13 and 14 on the LPC.

There is an absolute remote chance the eeprom on the X3 has a dry solder joint or is faulty. If that is the case then send it back to your supplier. Dont keep making useless posts say "ive checked my soldering its l33t PLEASE HELP ME !" - just send it back if you are sure its faulty and you did everything right - because if it is then they will swap it for you.

meatballsoup

Noob Account
Dec 9, 2004
NZ

ive done all thats been said, read stuff soldered stuff ohit stuff with hammers and smoked a million cigaretts. Well it still doesnt work. I stuffed one of my bios' the other one seems to have flashed okay but i still cant see any picture or get any sound

I got an x3
ver1.4
original harddrive
conextant :roll:

AMATSUKAMI35

Noob Account
Dec 11, 2004
SPAIN

Solved in part. The problem was one pin in the black conexion for the external panel.
I have reconect and the Xecuter run again, but with FRAG.(Red and Green)

I have checked different combinations and FRAG doesn´t happend with bank 1 and 3 in "on" position.Now Im ready to make flashing DvD and check. Remember to flash with DvD you have to make a dummy file with a dummy "maker" program, and rename the bios file to "bios.bin". I hope that this the right way, I'll see.

PD: I have check continuity in the LPC conector and I thing that solders are right, I hope so. Thenks for the forum, it help me a lot.

Thank again. :wink:

deltasg1

Nov 9, 2004
london

Ok i have recently had probs with a 2.6 and the tips i can give you to check are as follows.

Use the evolution M8 bios on xboxes 1.6 (file called EvolutionX M8+ BIOS It will ONLY work on XBOX version 1.6 and 1.6B and flash that bios to bank 2, the best way to do this is get a copy of xbox bios manager v2.3 and build a 1 meg bios that includes cromwell bios version 3.0.1 or 3.0.3 get them from the usual places.

and build your bios the following way and please read all instructions, and make sure you do this correctly.

open bios manager, your cromwell bios will be 256k in size, we need to make a 512k version of this so put each 256k cromwell bios in bank 1 and also in bank 2 (this is the banks in bios manager not the banks of your executer chip) then get latest Evo M8plus bios this should also be 256k in size, go back to bios manager and load in evo m8 bios into bank 3 of bios manager and then another copy of the same evo m8 bios again into bank 4 you should now have in bios manager the following.

Bios manager banks layout v2.3

bank 1 - cromwell flash bios (256k)
bank 2 - cromwell flash bios (256k) = 512k (copy of same bios in bank 1)
bank 3 - Evo M8plus Bios (256k)
bank 4 - evo M8plus bios (256K)=512K (copy of same bios in bank 3)

note make sure each cromwell and evo m8plus bios are the same copies of each other.

dont forget for 1.6 version of xbox you must use Evox M8plus bios version only.

now using bios manager save out your new created bios and name it bios.bin (please name it bios.bin only) and it should be 1 meg in size, what you now have is a bios that will flash cromwell onto bank 1 of the executer chip, and evo m8 bios will go to bank 2 becuase you have now merged the above bios into a 1 meg bios. you cant go wrong flashing the chip in this way becuase everytime you flash it you also flashing a cromwell bios onto the chip, this will insure you will always have cromwell being flashed to your chip minamising the posiblity of you flashing both banks with a bad bios and not being able to use cromwell to reflash if you need to.

all you now need to do is decide the way your going to flash it using cromwell flash bios, set your bank selector on your executer 2.6 chip to bank 1. dont forget if you have already flashed a bank with a bios that you think is not working, use the bank selector on the x2.6 to switch to another bank and see if cromwell bios boots up, if you have flashed both banks with a bios that does not work then you will have to post and ask for advice on how to get your bios chip re-flashed.

the easy and best way to flash the chip using cromwell is select network flash from the cromwell menu screen, if you have a router configured as a DHCP server then just plug your network cable into your xbox and the other end into your router, then cromwell will then be able to provide an ip address that you can connect to using your web browser on your PC by typing in the ip address that cromwell gives you.

for example 192.168.1.102, type this ip address into your browser nothing else, and your browser will give you a flash bios screen, now click the browse button and browse for your 1 meg built bios, and flash it knowing that the bios you have just built will flash another copy of cromwell onto bank 1 of your executer xhip and also evo M8 bios onto bank 2 ALL in one step. let the xbox shut down after the flash (dont touch the xbox until it does) and then switch your bank dip and set it to bank 2, and if you have installed your chip on a 1.6 xbox correctly you should be able to boot slayers autoinstaller from a correcty burned DVD, try not to use a burned cd-r version as i found it to be unrealaible.

i hope this helps, if your getting frags on a 2.6 executer chip with a 1.6/b version of xbox probably means your using wrong bios (X2 4983 - 256k executer bios does not work for 1.6 xboxes do not use it!!!! IF YOU USE THAT BIOS YOUR CHIP WILL JUST FRAG AND FLASH PRETTY COLORS) only use evolutionx M8plus bios on bank 2 of your chip to be safe.

good luck..

p.s if you dont know what bios manager is, then its time to do some reading and find out about it, there are lots of posts on it, track that proggy down as i would not attempt to flash an executer chip without it.

D_Boy

Noob Account
Apr 25, 2004

after trying to resolder for the fifth time i have finally broke the mother board. go team!!!

jamers2004

Noob Account
Nov 29, 2004
Tampa, FL

OK, here is my story. Have XBOX 1.0. Was forced to do the wire install. This my my second X3 Mod install so I'm a practiced solderer. Taped off all surrounding area so I didn't get solder splash. XBOX booted to X3Flash Bio 3.0.1 bios with Blue light on the first try. So far so good. Next I flashed the BIOS (1959) from Disc. No problems there. Now on reboot with chip enabled I just get blank screen however I can hear that Microsoft audio that you would normally hear when the chip is disabled. I can successully boot to the M$ dash when the chip is disabled. I carefully tried resoldering points 1, 13, and 14 but no luck. Is it possible I could have gotten this far if some other solder point was comprimised? How can I get this to boot with something on the screen? Can't I change the dip switches to boot to the backup BIOS or something? Please help. This was supposed to be a Christmas gift to my friend.

Update, I did the same thing as flik55 in the post above me. I when ahead and flashed the lastest Evox bios in Bank 5 (256mb). I booted and used Slayer's 2.6 Autoinstaller. Copied over some games and it works great. I just wish I knew why I couldn't get it to boot to X3 Config Live?

mrheed

Noob Account
Dec 26, 2002

Hi,
Installed a X3 chip on 1.6b UK XBOX, flashed chip with X3 1959 bios on first 1mb bank, flashed using DVD and flashbios all went ok. Now getting a blank screen when booting the X3 BIOS, MS DASH boots OK, reflashed X3 a few times with same result. Pin 1, 13 and 14 checked for continuity ok. Get the following voltages on the LPC with chip connected when enabled and disabled:
ENABLE\DISABLE
1: 1.65 1.64
2: 0.00 0.00
3: varies enabled .004 to .035 disabled .007 to -.010
4: 0.77 3.30
5: 3.25 3.25
6: 4.90 4.90
7: 3.29 3.30
8: 3.30 3.30
9: 3.29 3.29
10: 3.30 3.30
11: 3.30 3.30
12: 0.00 0.00
13: 3.30 3.31
14: 3.30 3.30
15: 3.29 3.29
16: 0.00 0.00

Any ideas?
Are these voltages correct, if not can you post working voltages?

Cheers,

jamers2004

Noob Account
Nov 29, 2004
Tampa, FL

jamers2004 said:
OK, here is my story. Have XBOX 1.0. Was forced to do the wire install. This my my second X3 Mod install so I'm a practiced solderer. Taped off all surrounding area so I didn't get solder splash. XBOX booted to X3Flash Bio 3.0.1 bios with Blue light on the first try. So far so good. Next I flashed the BIOS (1959) from Disc. No problems there. Now on reboot with chip enabled I just get blank screen however I can hear that Microsoft audio that you would normally hear when the chip is disabled. I can successully boot to the M$ dash when the chip is disabled. I carefully tried resoldering points 1, 13, and 14 but no luck. Is it possible I could have gotten this far if some other solder point was comprimised? How can I get this to boot with something on the screen? Can't I change the dip switches to boot to the backup BIOS or something? Please help. This was supposed to be a Christmas gift to my friend.

Update, I did the same thing as flik55 in the post above me. I when ahead and flashed the lastest Evox bios in Bank 5 (256mb). I booted and used Slayer's 2.6 Autoinstaller. Copied over some games and it works great. I just wish I knew why I couldn't get it to boot to X3 Config Live?
I took a chance it might be the 1959 BIOS so I reflashed with older BIOS 1957 and what do you know, it works. Got into X3 Config Live. So it doesn't appear to be my soldering of pin 13 and 14 but rather something in the 1959 BIOS dosen't like the XBOX ver 1.0. I know you're working on the next BIOS release so maybe you could look into this further. Thanks.

ryank401

Nov 21, 2004
us

checked my solder points, and worked... thanks!

Reply to Jamers2004:

Its not because u have a 1.0, because I have a 1.0 running 1959 perfectly... its definately something u did... either soldering, or just a bad bios file. Try checking the pins on the pcb. I had that problem when I did my friend's 1.0. On his, the pins weren't set at the same level, some were sticking out more than others. I pushed them to the same length and it worked. Also, try redownloading the bios, it could just be a bad file. Other than that... good luck.

fastrpms

Noob Account
Jan 4, 2005
Behind you

Well I hope this helps any NOOBs like myself. I had the blankscreen, no sound problem (no FRAG) and I resoldered the the pins but it still didn't work! I read the all the instructions in this post. The one thing that was not mentioned is that you must reflash the BIOS.

I found that I could still boot to the backup BIOS by just turning on only bank 3.

After you have successfully booted. Flip switches to enable flashing, bank 1, and bank 2. (bank 3 and 4 off)

Now reflash the BIOS, and this should work. It worked for me anyway.

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
Ive deleted about 10 posts as they were about FRAGGING - that has zero to do with this thread - try and use your noodle and post in the correct place - or use the search button.

this thread is about a BLANK screen after you have flashed X3 Bios using FlashBIOS

thread closed - the answer to the problem is in the very first post of this thread - with quite a few other users confirming this fixed the issue. every time a bad install - dont blame the chip.

D_Boy said:
after trying to resolder for the fifth time i have finally broke the mother board. go team!!!
so you ****ed your motherboard from very poor soldering skills and its our fault ?

rrriiiggghhhttt

Last edited:

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
jamers2004 said:
I took a chance it might be the 1959 BIOS so I reflashed with older BIOS 1957 and what do you know, it works. Got into X3 Config Live. So it doesn't appear to be my soldering of pin 13 and 14 but rather something in the 1959 BIOS dosen't like the XBOX ver 1.0. I know you're working on the next BIOS release so maybe you could look into this further. Thanks.
or maybe the 1959 you downloaded was corrupt

go figure !!

Status
Not open for further replies.