LITEON DG-16D2S Can I use Probe 2 on its own?

PapaJon

Noob Account
Oct 11, 2011
Quick question:

Can a probe 2 be used to flash a LITEON 74580c without any other kits by plugging it directly into the DVD drive and the 360's motherboard?

Demonchild

VIP Member
Mar 20, 2010
New York City
The answer is no because:

-If you are on dashboard 13146 or higher, you will need the Probe 3 to extract the key to flash your drive.

-You will still need something that connects to the computer that will pass along the firmware. (X360USB PRO or SATA Card)

And, it's not recommended to power your drive using your Xbox 360 because in the event that it loses power, your drive will wind up with an incomplete firmware. (When worse comes to worse, you don't have your dvdkey and your drive is erased)

PapaJon

Noob Account
Oct 11, 2011
^^ I'm really trying to keep this as cheap as possible so just looking at my options. I've just got through modding my first hitachi console which I spent some money on then it started RROD'ing which I failed at fixing, so after more time and money spent I'm back to square one! :facepalm: For the Hitachi drive most people were using some extra connectivity kit when looking at tutorials but I did it without requiring one, I'm just enquiring if its the same case here?

The answer is no because:

-If you are on dashboard 13146 or higher, you will need the Probe 3 to extract the key to flash your drive.

-You will still need something that connects to the computer that will pass along the firmware. (X360USB PRO or SATA Card)

And, it's not recommended to power your drive using your Xbox 360 because in the event that it loses power, your drive will wind up with an incomplete firmware. (When worse comes to worse, you don't have your dvdkey and your drive is erased)
Thanks for your help. In that case, will this be possible?

-I buy a Probe 3.
-I use my VIA 6421 SATA card to connect the SATA
-I use the xbox mobo to power the DVD drive, plug the AV cable into the back so it doesnt turn off, and also ground it to my PC to avoid electrical surges?

Last edited:

knowlzy10

BANNED
Sep 11, 2010
workington, cumbria, england
if you want there help buy tx products to many ppl come here not wanting to spend a penny and expect us that do to help,
ck3 pro or lite a must, usb pro defo a must quick and easy, probe 3 a must for all phat liteon drives,

but hey sounds like the answer your looking for is i have a spare sata port and molex hope it works, well if it does go ask elswhere like your pc helpdesk for the onboard sata connection and molex support:facepalm:

and using console without drive attached flag for ban ur choice

Last edited:

PapaJon

Noob Account
Oct 11, 2011
Er, the Probe's are TX products..

I'm here to find out why I need the extra products. I don't care if the process is quicker and easier, I've got more time than money.

but hey sounds like the answer your looking for is i have a spare sata port and molex hope it works, well if it does go ask elswhere like your pc helpdesk for the onboard sata connection and molex support
Wth? I'm not even asking for SATA support. I have a SATA card which I used to correctly flash a hitachi drive which works, it just the xbox that doesn't..

But thanks for the ban tip.

All I want to know is can the Probe 3 be used with JungleFlasher to flash a drive, by plugging it directly into the DVD drive and the xbox motherboard to flash the drive (in the way I mentioned last post)? Is the mobo connection the same as whats on a Probe 3?

Last edited:

wkdsean

Oct 1, 2011
uk, newcastle upon tyne
u are better off getting a ck3 lite/pro to power the drive it is alot safer and you will need it to eject the dvd drive. also you will need a probe 3 to get the key from the drive, it all connects nicely together. i would also recommend usb pro because you wont have any pc freezing issues you normally get with sata cards. i use an external molex powered by the house plug, this is connected to the ck3 lite, the probe and power cable for the drive are connected on the same cable to the ck3 lite and dvd drive. i use usb pro to connect the sata cable from the drive to my pc. i think i spent about £65 but its probably the only flashing kit i will ever need.

knowlzy10

BANNED
Sep 11, 2010
workington, cumbria, england
well technically yes but would prob flag ur console for a ban, i apologise did not read u already owned products b4 i stuck my size 9's in, best bet is conversion cable for your probe 2, roughly a fiver and ck3 pro or light depending on your pc's set up :) also usb pro makes life easier for sake of roughly 60 quid u got all u need for all future updates

Last edited: