Can't boot into CFW using exFAT

mito

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2019
Aus
Hi,

I am having trouble booting into CFW using larger SD cards formatted to exFAT.

I have no problems with a 32GB card on FAT32. Everything works successfully, but I also want to use emuNAND and that pretty much takes up the whole card.

When I try to use exFAT, it see the Nintendo logo, but it just goes to a black screen after that. I do NOT see the Switch logo which usually appears after the Nintendo one.

I did notice that when I plug in the exFAT cards when I boot into Original firmware, it asks me to download an update so that it can read exFAT. Is this my problem? I am hesitant to update if I don't have to.

I have tried using 3 different SD cards. Sandisk 400GB, Samsung Evo 64GB, Samsung Evo 128GB.

Switch Firmware: 9.0.1
SXOS: 2.9.2

Thanks!

Alchemy.Gaming

Troll Eating Dogs
Mar 11, 2019
US
You must not have the exFAT driver. It’s recommended to use FAT32 but if you choose to use exFAT you’ll need to install the exFAT driver with ChoiDujourNX. You will have to downgrade and then update since you can’t install firmware on top of itself since 8.x. Make a new backup if you do this and uninstall custom themes.

mito

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2019
Aus
You must not have the exFAT driver. It’s recommended to use FAT32 but if you choose to use exFAT you’ll need to install the exFAT driver with ChoiDujourNX. You will have to downgrade and then update since you can’t install firmware on top of itself since 8.x. Make a new backup if you do this and uninstall custom themes.
Thanks for the response!

Just to confirm, I need to:
* use ChoiDujourNX to downgrade to 8.x
* then install the exFAT driver

Just a couple of additional questions:

Do I need to upgrade back to 9.0.1 after that?

Can i just use the Nintendo update process and update to the latest firmware and get the driver at the same time?

Thanks!

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Since you downgraded I would not suggest updating via Nintendo. You do not need to go back to 9.0.1, but there really isn't a reason not to. Just make sure to pick the exFAt version if you still want to use exFAT. I would recommend fat32 though to avoid corruption.

Reactions: Alchemy.Gaming