Can't copy save data between different users due to a bug

bribri

Oct 18, 2018
I'm trying to use SX Installer to copy save data between different user accounts on my Switch, and so far I haven't been able to get it to work.

What I will do is find the save data I want to copy in my saves directory, so it will be in a folder with a structure like:

Code:
0100000000010000/1111111111111111111/1567890123-ABCDEF01234567890ABCDEF012345678/savedata.bin
...where in this example '1111111111111111111' corresponds to the ID of the first user and "1567890123-ABCDEF01234567890ABCDEF012345678" is the folder whose has a timestamp and hash and contains the actual backed up save data.

I'll then take the timestamp/hash folder and copy it into the folder for the same game that corresponds to the second user. I figure this should work since the hash will still be valid.

Next I open SX Installer and to try restore the copied save data for the second user. SX Installer will erroneously report that the restore succeeded, but in reality it has created a new save backup for the second user, and nothing is restored!

In case it matters, my saves directory is on an FTP server. I am able to restore saves at all, but only so long as I'm restoring to the same user the save originates from.

Being able to copy saves between different users (especially different users on different Switches) is a key feature I need out of a save manager like in SX Installer. For the time being I've been using Checkpoint and it's able to do what I need, but SX Installer would make it much more convenient since it can save / restore to network locations. I hope this bug is fixed in the near future!

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
SX Installer is way out of date at this point and was never meant to really be a save manager. I don't believe tinfoil has a save manager, so it was most likely just added to the SX Installer...because... I would stick with Checkpoint for saves.

It would for sure be nice if it was updated and the save manager was fixed, but not sure if that will happen soon.

bribri

Oct 18, 2018
I do backup my saves using Checkpoint as well as SX Installer since I don't consider SX Installer to be trustworthy, at least not yet. But being able to backup saves to a network location is really important and Checkpoint can't do that. If the memory card becomes corrupted or the Switch is lost or stolen, then the saves are gone with it. Proper backups have to exist on separate media!

Maybe it would be worth installing and trying the latest Tinfoil? SX Installer is just a rebranded version of Tinfoil isn't it?

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Not sure that tinfoil has that option, but if it does give it a try. You can just pop your SD out and back up the checkpoint folder or even FTP to the Switch and do the same. Yes, backing up direct to a network folder would be ideal and hopefully there will be a better solution, but you are not stuck with just leaving the backups on your SD by any means.

bribri

Oct 18, 2018
That is of course true, and sometimes I do copy the Checkpoint backup off of my SD card. But I'm lazy and it's already hard enough for me to remember to manually make the backups in the first place.

Just tried out Tinfoil, and its save backup feature is severely lacking in comparison to SX Installer, so no help there.

What would truly be ideal is if there was a way to get SX OS to automatically backup saves on its own, with no action required by the user. But I'm not holding my breath for that one!