LITEON 0225 cant get past 0x8e SPI status

dude_dude

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2012
down undah!
Hi guys,

Here's a weird one. I was drilling with into the IC and was able to get this MXIC to 0x00(with the magic sound from JF of course) so I stopped. I'm kind of cautious when it comes to hardware stuff. But when I was about to write the firmware, it just cant. I just couldnt recall the error because I didnt really take note of it as it was just one of those generic errors so I didnt bother.

So I just restarted JF, INTRO'd, hit Ox8C but to no avail. It is to my understanding that merely pressing lightly into the hole again with my drill, knife, etc, without rotating it anymore, would unlock SPI again but that didnt happen. It was only then that I noticed that the SPI status went into 0x8e as soon as I hit the 0x8C button.

I tried the 10ohm resistor trick but same thing. 0x8e status kept coming as soon as I click the 0x8c button.

Could the 0x00 status that I've achived be just a false positive and I just need to drill in further? I dont wanna end up drilling through the PCB waiting for that magic sound JF produces when you hit the G-spot.

Need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance :)

dude_dude

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2012
down undah!
yes I got the keys. I'll try to post hi-res pics later. Was thinking if the Russian UnlockSPI software could still be of any use at this point...

x360ccm

BANNED
Jan 18, 2011
south coast UK
drilling a mxic is crazy.when there is a better way.i never understand why people do this to a mxic.:facepalm:

hope you got the dummy.bin file not just the drive key.:rolleyes2:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
drilling a mxic is crazy.when there is a better way.i never understand why people do this to a mxic.
Because some people can't be told. You have to live with that fact on here on a DAILY basis and watch people destroy perfectly good equipment.....

:facepalm:

Feb 28, 2011
united kingdom
drilling a mxic is crazy.when there is a better way.i never understand why people do this to a mxic.:facepalm:

hope you got the dummy.bin file not just the drive key.:rolleyes2:
All i can think of is they do it to save a few quid but forget the out come can be so costly :facepalm: :crazy:

dude_dude

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2012
down undah!
Yeah I got all the dummy, key, inquiry, and etc. I would say partly it's my fault. I just got programmed that when it's a liteon 16d5s, it's kamikaze time. Slipped my mind that MXIC chips do exist. Arrrgggghh. Maybe because I was already exhausted when I decided to fiddle with it. Plus I've only dealt with an MXIC just once so it never really stuck in my system. Boy oh boy.

I guess that's that. But if I drilled too far, how come it could still dump dummy.bin and all with the slim key grab? And are MXICs more fragile than Winbonds using the Kamikaze method?

dude_dude

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2012
down undah!
i wouldnt drill no more.and try a sputnik switch on it.you maybe lucky.
I figured this will be the safest route. I really haven't gotten my hands all over it just yet but I tried a few attempts of the 10ohms resistor trick with trace cut. Isn't that similar to the sputnik switch?

Anyway, I don't think the drive will nowhere be near being unlockable if the SPI status code becomes 0x8E as soon as I click 0x8C when trying to send the SPI unlock via JF.

What I noticed with the dos-based SPI unlock was the SPI status code doesn't change to 0x8E as opposed with the JF method. But I haven't tried the dos-based SPI unlock with the simple MXIC mod though.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

post your jf log as i not seen one posted.

0x8e dont you mean 0x8c
it really is 0x8E mate. sorry I didn't have time to post any screenshots/logs at all. I will T minus 9hours :)

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I guess that's that. But if I drilled too far, how come it could still dump dummy.bin and all with the slim key grab? And are MXICs more fragile than Winbonds using the Kamikaze method?
Are you saying you didn't get the dummy.bin BEFORE you started?

Oh boy...

x360ccm

BANNED
Jan 18, 2011
south coast UK
if you can still dump the dummy file.then dump it again and post the jf log.

as it a 0225 drive i hope you did get the dummy file.or you got a good rgh waitin.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I did get the dummy.bin as posted earlier.
"But if I drilled too far, how come it could still dump dummy.bin and all with the slim key grab"

Unless you got the dummy.bin again, this says it was after, not before!

Reactions: nofeloniesyet

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
"But if I drilled too far, how come it could still dump dummy.bin and all with the slim key grab"

lol,i didnt know i drilled too far on the 1 i messed up till i hooked it up to xbox and it ejected at 400mph.lol,no pout fixin that one either.

dude_dude

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2012
down undah!

Ok, I just forgot to mention the word "again" on that phrase. So to clarify, I was able to dump slim key and etc BEFORE and AFTER the kamikaze.