Clarification on bans given use-behavior. Advice please?

MooNBeaR1

Noob Account
Sep 7, 2018
I apologize in advance if my question seems out of ignorance or lack of research, but for the most part, I'm just looking for some clarity...

1. I got my SX Pro a couple weeks ago, and it works great... Thank you!
  2. I've obviously, since, booted from the dongle and used the jig (I've never enabled autoRCM, if it matters in this case).
  3. I've been diligent about keeping it offline. Wouldn't never take the CFW online!

I had a bit of a 'fear' that recently hit me, so I thought before I try I would ask:

So, my big question:
If I boot to OFW (no dongle/CFW, swap out microSD) and I take it online again, does anything get left behind on the console from using it with the "dongle-boot to CFW" that can be picked up, possibly resulting in a ban? Or is this pretty safe?

I'm not sure if I should be kicking myself/shot myself in the foot, in that I didn't look into this sooner - having just noticed that there are guides to do a NAND backup :facepalm: to likely prevent such issues. Thing is, I'm not sure what the SX Pro leaves behind (if anything at all, with the fact that it seems to be a 'payload to running-memory' that, without the dongle, boots normally to OFW - ?so is anything really 'modded' vs it being a temporary boot image?)...

A couple followups (that if someone knows, great... Otherwise, I understand the answer is "ask Nintendo" :rolleyes2:, which I don't argue the reasoning behind that response):
  • Have I basically set myself up for disaster?
  • Would adding a "full factory reset" (possible paranoia) before going back online with OFW be recommended?
  • If so, and if a ban was to become a reality, this does not hinder owned physical carts from working normally (outside of obvious access to multiplayer and eShop), does it?
  • Is it only a console ban? Or does that become an eShop ban on account, too (if there's a connection between the two - banned-console<>eShop-account)... digital purchases down the drain?

Last edited:

MooNBeaR1

Noob Account
Sep 7, 2018
Sure, thanks for your response. Was hoping someone out there might have had some experience going between a dongle boot and OFW with or without issues/misfortune.

Thanks anyhoo.

MooNBeaR1

Noob Account
Sep 7, 2018
Thanks Game_Over :) That give me a little hope... I'll take a chance, and as many precautions as I can think of, and I'll report back on any good or bad - if my experience might help others wondering (I know I've seen similar posts). Cheers!

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
What has worked fine for me is to go between CFW and OFW via a NAND backup. You dump your NAND before you run CFW on it and then you can swap. It takes about 45 min to dump and another 45 to write so not for daily use. As I said unless you made a backup before you modded it's to late for you anyway.

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
Yes I would say no piracy certainly effected it for sure. As you know none of us knows what Nintendo does but I'd bet ANY money had you had pirated games on there it would have been banned.

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
My son goes between cfw and ofw every day. He has somehow avoided a ban and has been doing it since sx os was released. He uses airplane mode and now stealth mode when in cfw.

It may be because he doesn't play pirated games.... we use sx os to play our own xci dumps complete with certs.

I keep telling him he will be banned some day, but so far he is doing fine.
that is what I do to. I play my rbi18 baseball everyday on ofw and play my other xci games dump in cfw and have not been ban yet. now if I had those nsp file playing them might be another thing. I stay away from them.

TubeBar

Aug 6, 2018
so it sounds like Nintendo may not be able to detect cfw if it's not in use. Xci is a cart so in OFW the most they'd see is the data entry of a cart. There is no guarantee this will not result in a ban esp w 6.0 changes (who knows what they hid in the code).

Obviously NSPs are installed wo a proper signed tick and you'd prob be banned in cfw or OFW.