RGH Coolrunner install, xbox now does nothing when powered on.

killthelights

Noob Account
Nov 11, 2017
Hello everyone,
this is my first post, so if I am doing something wrong/posting in the wrong forum please let me know or delete my post.

I have purchased a Coolrunner and JR Programmer to attempt to RGH 1.2 my jasper. I was successfully able to dump the nand and read/write to it. I successfully wrote the ecc file to the nand. However when I first installed my Coolrunner and loaded the timing files, the glitch light would come on but it would never boot, just sitting at black screen. I am using the stb_clk point on the back of the board instead of the small one on the top. I decided to re-solder the points, and ended up burning the alternate stb_clk point, causing the thin lead on the motherboard going to that point to lift off the board, causing the 360 to redring. I removed the wire and put a bit of solder to hold it down and it successfully turned on without redringing.
stb_clk.jpg20171112_173958.jpg

However when trying to resolder the pll bypass on the back of the board, I got solder on the resistor above, and not having a solder sucker i tried removing it with the iron (horrible idea), and ended up removing the resistor completely. Since then, I resoldered the point, turned on the Xbox, and tried to see if it would attempt to boot and not red ring. The console acted as if nothing happened and turned on with a black screen again.

better pll.jpg

I decided to rewrite the original nand back onto the motherboard and give up on the project for now, however during the nand write I kept getting an io timeout error halfway through. It did finish "writing" the nand even with the error, so i turned on the 360, black screen again, fans at full speed. I assumed this was due to a bad nand write so I rewrote it, this time with no errors, and now pressing the power button on the console does nothing. The coolrunner still gets power, but turning on the console does nothing. I have written the nand a second time, with no errors, and the console still is a brick.

What could be wrong? I attached pictures to help. I realized my soldering is horrendous. Here are the other pictures.
other wire.jpgjr programmer points.jpgjr and coolrunner power.jpgcpu_rst.jpgentire xbox.jpg

Last edited:

killthelights

Noob Account
Nov 11, 2017
can someone delete this I can't figure out how to. I accidentally replied instead of editing my post.

Last edited:

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
Your soldering could use a lot of work, Cant tell if you damaged any of the point, but to be on the safe side, I would say clean it up, and try booting stock nand with the coolrunner in prg mode, to make sure you didnt damage the console, as the bottom side stdby_clk point might be burnt. Also, I would clean up the cpu_pll_bypass point, as if that shorts, it is a CPU killer. Also shorten up all leads, as the bare wire is prone to shorting. You only need enough to solder to the point, having a bunch hanging out can cause issues.

killthelights

Noob Account
Nov 11, 2017
I will try that tonight. What is that residue that forms on the board around a point I am trying to solder to? It almost seems like it is a form of anti stick coating, as I can't get the solder to stick to the point until it melts away. I ordered some flux as I did not have any at the time, and I have a second xbox I will try a much more professional install on if I can not get this one to work, but I'd rather not have to ruin another xbox if I could figure this one out.

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
I don't need to say any more than Gavin has regarding your soldering. My suggestion is that you write back the stock nand and remove everything and use flux before trying to desolder too (it just makes for easier handling in general). That residue comes from the type of solder you're using which probably has a high resin content. It may look scary but once cleaned there will be no trace of it.