Corona board, gone horribly wrong...

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
TX Product(s) used: NAND-X, DGX v1.0, CR3 Lite, DemoN Slim; No QSBs. Also replacement PCB for Lite-On DG-16D4s flashed with LT+ 3.0
Console Type:
Corona v1
NAND size:
16 MB
Dashboard version:
Retail NAND 2.0.16203 / DemoN NAND 2.0.16203
CB version:
Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner:

Original NAND dump:
OriginalNANDDetails.jpg

Current NAND dump after updating:
NANDDetails.jpg

J-Runner log:
Had both NANDs booting, but console stopped booting. Can still read/write both stock and DemoN NAND without issue though. Extracted contents of the stock NAND using the existing CPU key. Initialized the original stock NAND, prior to having updated it, re-extracted files without issue.

Initializing test3.bin..
Nand Initialization Finished
Extracting..
Saving SMC_en.bin
Saving SMC_dec.bin
Saving KV_en.bin
Saving KV_dec.bin
Saving smc_config.bin
Working...
Saving fcrt_en.bin
Saving fcrt_dec.bin
Saving C-R.bin
Saving key.bin
Done
Save location C:\Users\Kipabc123\Downloads\XBox360 Utils\J-Runner\output
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
CpuKey is Correct
Key already Exists

Image of Coolrunner:

CR3 Lite Sml.jpg

Images of close-up soldering to motherboard:

DemoN Sml.jpgNAND Points Sml.jpgCR3 Lite Sml2.jpg
(
CPU_RST is not soldered in this image, as I was testing continuity along the traces...)
((limit of 6 images per post, full album:
http://kipabc12345.imgur.com/ ))

Description of problem:

Ok, first off, I just want to say that I'm aware this isn't an Xbox 360 repair forum, and that this kind of thing isn't usually what the forum is for. That said, I don't expect a resolution. I'm just hoping that someone with more knowledge and maybe fresh eyes will be able to spot something I've missed on this board, and in so doing, help me fix my own console.

My console was working fine, both retail and stock NANDs booting. Timing was kind of crappy, but I never really worried about it. I tried to do a retail update via XBL as I normally would on a stock console, making sure that my stock HDD was plugged in. After rebooting the console after updating, it presented me with the good ol' red dot.

I tried to read the NAND, and it wouldn't work. "Failed to grab handle" or somesuch. So I took the 360 apart, and was flabbergasted by what I saw. Damaged traces all along CPU_RST, and wires everywhere (assuming they were to fix the damage...). I removed everything from the board, cleaned up the damaged points, and using resistor legs, patched up the ripped traces. Once they were repaired and reading with proper continuity levels on my multimeter, I reinstalled the DemoN and CR3 Lite.

The console will not power up. The power/eject buttons play the correct tones when pressed, but the ROL doesn't light up, fans don't start, etc.

This board has quite a few damaged/lifted traces/pads, most notably along the CPU_RST line. C5R11 was completely lifted, but is a dead end, so no worries there. The alt point FT3T10 was also used and lifted. The guy I got the console from appears to have tried to do a trace repair on it, which ripped out another portion of the trace (lol). Most of the trace for CPU_RST has been scraped off, exposing the trace itself, both topside and on the botttom of the board. The pad on the NAND for I/O4 was also lifted. Another, less common and less obvious trace that was ripped is the one that runs just around C5R11. I have no idea why this one was ripped up, it's on the other side of the resistors in that area under the x-clamp, and nowhere near the original pad for C5R11. The final bit of damage I've noticed is one of the resistors under the CPU was also damaged, and re-attached it looks like. I haven't tried to clean that up, but continuity checks and resistance checks appear normal.

The CR3 Lite is receiving power on standby, as is the DemoN. The CR3 Lite settings/jumpers are correct, as the console was booting before the red dot without a problem. I can read/write/switch NANDs without a problem. I've patched up the 2 breaks in the CPU_RST line so that the entire trace shows continuity from the C5R11 broken trace all the way to the southbridge. The NAND IO4 point is obviously working now that I've jumped the trace, as I can read/write the NAND without a problem. I've tested continuity between the bottom side of the board and each of the CR3 Lite points, and done the same with all the points on the DemoN. Also checked all near components and points for bridges, and everything checks out.

Was the console working before you started:
Surprisingly, yes. I tried to do an update on the retail NAND, and the console red dotted on me. I disassembled the console, and saw the damage for the first time. I wish I'd taken a picture of the mess of wires that was there initially, but alas, I was more worried about getting my console working... I've also tested all the TX products I have, and can confirm them all working.

If you've made it this far through my post, THANK YOU for reading this book of a thread! Any and all help/suggestions are welcome, as I'm all out of ideas. And if I missed any info, please request it and I'll have it posted asap!

Last edited:

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Let's guess. It just beeps? There is obvious damage to the NAND points. Those have to be repaired. ;)

Tapatalk misspelled it. Knot me.

Reactions: kipabc123

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
As I stated above, the NAND IO4 point was lifted, and I've jumped the trace with a resistor leg and verified continuity. It now reads and writes the NAND without a problem, both for DemoN NAND and stock.

See the full gallery for images of the fix/trace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krafter

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
As I stated above, the NAND IO4 point was lifted, and I've jumped the trace with a resistor leg and verified continuity. It now reads and writes the NAND without a problem, both for DemoN NAND and stock.

See the full gallery for images of the fix/trace.
Oops. You must have added your description as I was replying.

Your thread is a little hard to follow lol. Your kinda rambling. If I understand it you have a red dot? What is the secondary code?

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
Yeah, sorry about that; I'm kinda scatter-brained after trying to follow all these traces for the last couple days.

I had everything working, tried to do a stock update, and it red dotted on me. I thought it may have been a NAND issue, and confirmed there was some issue with the setup when I tried to read it through the DemoN's daughterboard over USB.

Opened the case, saw damage everywhere, so removed all TX products. Repaired 2 points on the CPU_RST line near FT3T10, and repaired IO4 on the NAND. Oh, also repaired the trace that runs right next to C5R11. See gallery for pics of fixes.

The console no longer gives a red dot, it simply plays the tones for power/eject when the buttons are pressed. No light on the ROL, no fans powering up, etc. As a result, I don't have a secondary error code. My assumption is that I've missed one of the damaged traces on the mobo, and that it should work fine once that's patched up. I just need to find it...

Last edited:

Steel City Mods

VIP Member
May 30, 2012
USA
First thing, does it appear that a pad on the nand has been lifted, or is that just photo deception? If its missing, its going to need bridged. Also, it sounds like cpu_rst is still missing somewhere, at least thats the first place i look to repair without an error code..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Then refer back to first reply. Has all that damage been repaired? If not then that would explain the problems you are describing.

Take pictures of the repair job if so.

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
@dmack412 - IO pad 4 for the NAND was lifted, and was jumped/tested for continuity per the OP and my 1st reply. I agree though that it sounds like a CPU_RST problem; It's the most heavily damaged, and consoles won't do anything if it's not connected, but checking the point right by the SB all the way to C5R11's torn trace shows continuity.

@Krafter - Like I said earlier, I've repaired a total of 4 points, all of which have close-up macro shots in the gallery I linked in OP. All 4 show as closed connections on my multimeter. Tested continuity from the pin on the NAND to the other side of the trace repair, so the fix is working fine. Also can read/write/erase etc the NAND without problem.

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
I apologize. I didn't see the link and can't easily follow it on my phone. I really wish that image hosting sites would make it easier for mobile users.

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
I apologize. I didn't see the link and can't easily follow it on my phone. I really wish that image hosting sites would make it easier for mobile users.

lol no worries man, I know that feeling all too well.

In case anyone else missed it, here's the link to the gallery again:
http://kipabc12345.imgur.com/

If nobody has any ideas in the next day or so, I'll try removing all products again and see if I can get it to boot stock. Greatly appreciate any and all help :)

AllyNerd

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2013
Philadelphia
Are you sure none of your trace repairs arent shorting other things out? If its not directly within the same trace path I would think something insulated would be better.

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
Are you sure none of your trace repairs arent shorting other things out? If its not directly within the same trace path I would think something insulated would be better.
Yes, I made sure that the areas I used for the resistor-leg fixes were away from any other exposed pads/traces/components. I agree though that an insulated fix is better in most cases, but bear in mind that these are less than a CM long (other than the trace near C5R11, which I did use an insulated wire for). Thanks for posting though! :)

Oh, and I'll be on the #Xecuter room on EFNET if anyone wants to talk to me directly. Just fire me a PM!

Last edited:

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
TX Product(s) used: NAND-X, DGX v1.0, CR3 Lite, DemoN Slim; No QSBs. Also replacement PCB for Lite-On DG-16D4s flashed with LT+ 3.0
Console Type:
Corona v1
NAND size:
16 MB
Dashboard version:
Retail NAND 2.0.16203 / DemoN NAND 2.0.16203
CB version:
Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner:

Original NAND dump:
View attachment 16592

Current NAND dump after updating:
View attachment 16593

J-Runner log:
Had both NANDs booting, but console stopped booting. Can still read/write both stock and DemoN NAND without issue though. Extracted contents of the stock NAND using the existing CPU key. Initialized the original stock NAND, prior to having updated it, re-extracted files without issue.

Initializing test3.bin..
Extracting..
Saving SMC_en.bin
Saving SMC_dec.bin
Saving KV_en.bin
Saving KV_dec.bin
Saving smc_config.bin
Working...
Saving fcrt_en.bin
Saving fcrt_dec.bin
Saving C-R.bin
Saving key.bin
Done
Save location C:\Users\Kipabc123\Downloads\XBox360 Utils\J-Runner\output
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
CpuKey is Correct
Key already Exists

Image of Coolrunner:

View attachment 16594

Images of close-up soldering to motherboard:

View attachment 16595View attachment 16596View attachment 16597
(
CPU_RST is not soldered in this image, as I was testing continuity along the traces...)
((limit of 6 images per post, full album:
http://kipabc12345.imgur.com/ ))

Description of problem:

Ok, first off, I just want to say that I'm aware this isn't an Xbox 360 repair forum, and that this kind of thing isn't usually what the forum is for. That said, I don't expect a resolution. I'm just hoping that someone with more knowledge and maybe fresh eyes will be able to spot something I've missed on this board, and in so doing, help me fix my own console.

My console was working fine, both retail and stock NANDs booting. Timing was kind of crappy, but I never really worried about it. I tried to do a retail update via XBL as I normally would on a stock console, making sure that my stock HDD was plugged in. After rebooting the console after updating, it presented me with the good ol' red dot.

I tried to read the NAND, and it wouldn't work. "Failed to grab handle" or somesuch. So I took the 360 apart, and was flabbergasted by what I saw. Damaged traces all along CPU_RST, and wires everywhere (assuming they were to fix the damage...). I removed everything from the board, cleaned up the damaged points, and using resistor legs, patched up the ripped traces. Once they were repaired and reading with proper continuity levels on my multimeter, I reinstalled the DemoN and CR3 Lite.

The console will not power up. The power/eject buttons play the correct tones when pressed, but the ROL doesn't light up, fans don't start, etc.

This board has quite a few damaged/lifted traces/pads, most notably along the CPU_RST line. C5R11 was completely lifted, but is a dead end, so no worries there. The alt point FT3T10 was also used and lifted. The guy I got the console from appears to have tried to do a trace repair on it, which ripped out another portion of the trace (lol). Most of the trace for CPU_RST has been scraped off, exposing the trace itself, both topside and on the botttom of the board. The pad on the NAND for I/O4 was also lifted. Another, less common and less obvious trace that was ripped is the one that runs just around C5R11. I have no idea why this one was ripped up, it's on the other side of the resistors in that area under the x-clamp, and nowhere near the original pad for C5R11. The final bit of damage I've noticed is one of the resistors under the CPU was also damaged, and re-attached it looks like. I haven't tried to clean that up, but continuity checks and resistance checks appear normal.

The CR3 Lite is receiving power on standby, as is the DemoN. The CR3 Lite settings/jumpers are correct, as the console was booting before the red dot without a problem. I can read/write/switch NANDs without a problem. I've patched up the 2 breaks in the CPU_RST line so that the entire trace shows continuity from the C5R11 broken trace all the way to the southbridge. The NAND IO4 point is obviously working now that I've jumped the trace, as I can read/write the NAND without a problem. I've tested continuity between the bottom side of the board and each of the CR3 Lite points, and done the same with all the points on the DemoN. Also checked all near components and points for bridges, and everything checks out.

Was the console working before you started:
Surprisingly, yes. I tried to do an update on the retail NAND, and the console red dotted on me. I disassembled the console, and saw the damage for the first time. I wish I'd taken a picture of the mess of wires that was there initially, but alas, I was more worried about getting my console working... I've also tested all the TX products I have, and can confirm them all working.

If you've made it this far through my post, THANK YOU for reading this book of a thread! Any and all help/suggestions are welcome, as I'm all out of ideas. And if I missed any info, please request it and I'll have it posted asap!
your nand wires are wired wrong that is one big problem.

Last edited:

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
Just to re-confirm again, I can read, erase and write the NAND without a problem, both on stock and DemoN NANDs. It's wired up following this diagram:

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
maybe if you would have fix your problem before update you would have been fine or less problems that update can change a lot of things. all those problems how was your console was turning on. who did your console give it back to them or did you do it. there's a guy in Canada his name is coolshrimp he has a web site and he repair xboxes and sell the. he lives in Canada. try him

n0syst3m

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2011
North East ;)
Dude were to start, if your breakin traces left right and centre and folding ribbon cables like you have then your gonna get alot of errors, did you make the traces up or did you find em online?

And a little tip, turn the iron down and stop pulling wires and lifting pads :facepalm:

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
maybe if you would have fix your problem before update you would have been fine or less problems that update can change a lot of things. all those problems how was your console was turning on. who did your console give it back to them or did you do it. there's a guy in Canada his name is coolshrimp he has a web site and he repair xboxes and sell the. he lives in Canada. try him
Thank you for posting... I'm having some difficulty figuring out what you've tried to reply with however. From what I gather, you're saying I should have done trace repairs on traces that I didn't know were damaged before trying to update the system, which was working fine at the time?

I feel it necessary to point out that I've glitched/JTAG'ed/flashed/repaired well over 200 consoles, and have never had to make a thread on here for a single one. I had this slim done by a local person as my wife and I had a baby, which kind of took my attention away from my consoles. It was first hacked when the DGX was released, and the CR3 Lite + DemoN were installed/working at this time. I brought this up with him a week or so ago, and his argument was it was working when he gave it to me, there's risks in modding the system, etc etc etc. Basically, he's not doing anything to fix this.

Having just had a child, and with my wife on maternity leave, I don't have the money to try out this coolshrimp fellow, and I myself also repair/glitch/jtag/flash 360's, so I don't see why I'd send it to another user in the first place, especially after this most recent issue I've run into with my personal 360 being touched by someone else and being destroyed thereafter.

If you have suggestions on how to repair the console, please don't hesitate to post! If you're going to blame me for the state of this board, are not going to read all the info which was posted, and/or are going to recommend paying someone to look at it, keep on moving as you're just wasting both of our time. You guys always [email protected]#%$ and whine about people not following the template, not posting pics, not providing enough info; Well, here you have all the info you need, all the macro shots you need, all the back-story you need, all the screenshots you need, etc etc, and I'm willing to provide more if I've missed anything. But if I have to tell one more person that the NAND points are correct, tested, and working, because someone isn't reading ANY of my replies, I'm gonna choke a [email protected]#%$.

And finally, as I stated in my OP, I know this isn't a repair forum, I'm not expecting a resolution. I'm just hoping someone can spot what I've missed, or can provide some suggestions for testing the various points on the mobo to ensure it's all properly connected. If nobody can, oh well. I'm in no rush to get the system up and running; I've got 5 other consoles lying around here with various hacks. XD

kipabc123

Mar 1, 2012
Canada
Dude were to start, if your breakin traces left right and centre and folding ribbon cables like you have then your gonna get alot of errors, did you make the traces up or did you find em online?

And a little tip, turn the iron down and stop pulling wires and lifting pads :facepalm:
Read prev reply. And try reading OP instead of jumping straight to pictures and assuming. All I've done on this board is patch the holes that were already there. Ribbon cables et al were already folded when I got the console back. A little tip, read the OP before you post. :facepalm::crazy:

Also, how the fk do you make up traces? Follow the fking lines, it's not rocket science. Look at the macro shots, and tell me, if you're such a pro, whether they're correct or not. :)

In order to humor those who think I'm just sticking anything shiny to anything else that's also shiny in the same area on this motherboard, I'll be uploading trace maps for each point I've fixed at this point. Look for them in the gallery posted in OP. Edit - All traces mapped out and added to the gallery.

Last edited:

n0syst3m

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2011
North East ;)
ohh thx im very close to pro thank you for asking, instead of trying to insult me your the one looking like a complete noob / pleb by posting your pro modding techniques :)

Have fun fookin things up :)