RGH Corona v2 and v3 - no boot at all

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
This is just a theoretical question as I have now given back these 2 consoles.

So I had a halo 4 edition 320gb corona v3 (post out bit cut) and just this last weekend a 4gb v2 corona that I have tried every possible combination of a cr3 lite, all kinds of wiring, alt cpu points, xsvf files, 7cm, 10cm, 8cm, 14cm wires, 36cm wires, really everything and got no reaction whatsoever, however both consoles booted stock just fine. I have even tried the DGX v1.1 on the halo4 console if it gets the cpu key but nothing.

Basically these consoles do not react at all to the RGH chip. I know about the slim proto and cr3 pro which is cool but dont think those chips would have booted these bastards. Of course without trying (and I cant send you guys these 2 consoles as they have been already given back to their owners who will probably sell it) we'll never know.

Do any of you guys have any similar experience? All last year I have never met with one corona that could not boot one way or the other with the cr3 lite. One of these consoles was sent to me (the 4gb one) with the note that some other guy have already tried to rgh it to no avail. So it seems interesting but I also could not make it boot.

Have any of you met with something like this? I really have done a lot of these things (do not want to write a number) and the only other slim console I remember that was problematic last year also a regular trinity that booted but very randomly (cr3). In the end I realized it had to run like 10 minutes to get warm a bit, and after that usually it booted 2nd or 3rd try. But even this was not always the case and I have spent a lot of hours with that too.

Could it be possible that there are some very rare consoles that have a CPU which does not "like" RGH - I mean slowing the CPU down then pulling the reset line it always crashes that's why RGH does not work on them? Could it be? What else if not this? But otherwise the consoles are working good with stock data.

Please share your experiences I am really curious. Thanks in advance.

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
This is just a theoretical question as I have now given back these 2 consoles.

So I had a halo 4 edition 320gb corona v3 (post out bit cut) and just this last weekend a 4gb v2 corona that I have tried every possible combination of a cr3 lite, all kinds of wiring, alt cpu points, xsvf files, 7cm, 10cm, 8cm, 14cm wires, 36cm wires, really everything and got no reaction whatsoever, however both consoles booted stock just fine. I have even tried the DGX v1.1 on the halo4 console if it gets the cpu key but nothing.

Basically these consoles do not react at all to the RGH chip. I know about the slim proto and cr3 pro which is cool but dont think those chips would have booted these bastards. Of course without trying (and I cant send you guys these 2 consoles as they have been already given back to their owners who will probably sell it) we'll never know.

Do any of you guys have any similar experience? All last year I have never met with one corona that could not boot one way or the other with the cr3 lite. One of these consoles was sent to me (the 4gb one) with the note that some other guy have already tried to rgh it to no avail. So it seems interesting but I also could not make it boot.

Have any of you met with something like this? I really have done a lot of these things (do not want to write a number) and the only other slim console I remember that was problematic last year also a regular trinity that booted but very randomly (cr3). In the end I realized it had to run like 10 minutes to get warm a bit, and after that usually it booted 2nd or 3rd try. But even this was not always the case and I have spent a lot of hours with that too.

Could it be possible that there are some very rare consoles that have a CPU which does not "like" RGH - I mean slowing the CPU down then pulling the reset line it always crashes that's why RGH does not work on them? Could it be? What else if not this? But otherwise the consoles are working good with stock data.

Please share your experiences I am really curious. Thanks in advance.
dood i gotta be honest here,if you couldnt get them to boot,then something was wrong with your install.maybe the postfix adapters werent hitting the right spot,i really cant say ,and without images of installs,no way for us to know,so this thread is kinda moot tbh.every slim cpu is zactly the same,even tween trinity and corona,zact same chip.

Last edited:

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
RGH is different for each and every board, but I have yet to see a slim where RGH fails (genuine hardware faults don't count).

I have a stubborn Trinity here, but the issue is related to a bad block in the first 5 blocks (block 2 to be precise).

A CR3 Pro and RATER would have made diagnosing the issue(s) with those consoles much easier because you would be able to see what the console was doing and why it was failing to boot.

The slim prototype is an excellent chip and boot times have been great for most people (I have one in my personal Trinity console and it takes no more than 3 glitch cycles to boot and that is without adding any caps).

Last edited:

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
So no one saw one of these that were failing to boot with RGh but stock is OK? Btw. I am not a n00b so one of the coronas was a v2 *where no post bit is required* and v3 was when a postfix adapter was needed (halo4 edition) but it was installed correctly, the debug light was flashing as it was supposed to be. And to be honest after hundreds of installs I was not expecting any surprise.

I agree that all boards are different, and that's exactly why I put in the short paragraph about the trinity that was very randomly booting. I am also aware the slim CPU's are "all the same", yes they are but the manufacturing process can yield different pieces that go through QC yet are a bit different in some ways.

Like I wrote this is very rare that's why I am asking here to see if any of you guys especially pro installers have run into anything similar.

Again please if possible only comment on this m00t (like having no practical significance rite?) thread if you have something meaningful to add.

If no one found anything similar: I can accept that too - but I expect someone else to have seen similar stuff already.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I've seen a bunch of slim consoles needing a southbridge reball. I2C isn't used as part of the stock image, so it doesn't care. However, without one or both of these working, you won't get the payload in.

Reactions: pengekcs

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU
Thanks Martin. You might be right - I might just give a call to one of these guys and try this. Maybe a reflow is enough?

I remember a jasper console maybe 1,5 years ago from which the nand could not be read out through spi. Multiple guys tried that too, I have tried with multiple nand-x's nothing. in the end I've read somewhere that the southbridge might need a reflow / reball as one of the connections that spi uses must be broken. Then console booted stock fine - and I have given it back as I did not have back then hardware that could read a nand chip in itself (like a progskeet).

So this is similar only this time not the spi but the i2c points might be broken. Thanks for the tip!

jsinger47

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Feb 6, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
As always, install pics and post logs do help.

Maybe you missed something simple.

In the case of a spelling error, I blame Tapatalk.