Correct Tools for Kamikaze Hack

netspider

Jul 8, 2010
UAE
Hi Guys,

Since few days the only topic most of moders are interested is Kamikaze Hack, There are many success n fail stories, and some still thinks its fake ;) , for some the process is so easy and some of us already fried boards in doing experiment.

I went through lot of videos and topics, it seems easy but still didn't tried it, cause i think before doing anything the most important is to have the rite tools to do the job that is 70% of the successful result.

The most important tool is drill itself ;) but no one shared which drill they prefer and what bit they used. So far hands up for dremel but till now i am searching which Dremel Series can do the job and which bit is required, So can some one share this to make it more easy for the modders who still waiting to get started..

Will this bit do the Job ?
HTML:
http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-uk/product/2738/104/engraving-cutters/engraving-cutter-0,8-mm

Reactions: xbonner

mespo365

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2010
USA
i don't think soldering iron can be easier, have you tried it ?
Dont do this! The soldering iron will do more damage, its way to hot and you dont have much control over where ur melting.

I have done several drives already and some chips the trace is located slightly differently. With the dremel you slowly start taking out material, and I mean slowly. You have to adjust depending on where the trace is on that particular chip.

I have 100% success(so far) and the biggest suggestion is take your time!! You only have to drill .2mm before u hit the trace. Once the status changes to 0x3 (notice no c) then stop!!! re-intro drive and you should be good

CableBro

Jun 18, 2003
www.modchipsource.com
I wouldn't completely rule out the soldering iron just yet. You can adjust heat with an iron so it doesn't burn to hot and allow you control as to how much melts. Soldering iron might be easier to handle for some people. I have a weller station iron and it's real comfortable.

iLLNESS

Mar 26, 2005
SW Ontario, Canada
judging from the people who have used a soldering iron, most seem to say your not actually melting the chip, rather just making it brittle to scrape off. im sure its possible to do more damage with the iron, but with an accidental slip of the tool you dont risk digging too deep into the chip. the iron can only eat its way through so fast.

according to users who have tried both methods, most seem to prefer the iron.

mespo365

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2010
USA
judging from the people who have used a soldering iron, most seem to say your not actually melting the chip, rather just making it brittle to scrape off. im sure its possible to do more damage with the iron, but with an accidental slip of the tool you dont risk digging too deep into the chip. the iron can only eat its way through so fast.

according to users who have tried both methods, most seem to prefer the iron.
The dremel has much more control plain and simple. You create a small dimple with the dremel speed set low (1-2). One there is a dimple u drill .1mm deep. I then like to widen the hole a bit, because the trace is slightly off on some chips. Then slowly begin to take more material out downward(speed still set below 3), until the proper trace is revealed. Now you just go for the trace and drill down(the total hole should be no deeper than .2-.3mm).

If you can handle using a dremel for this hack then you should not being attempting this method.

iLLNESS

Mar 26, 2005
SW Ontario, Canada
i still wouldnt say the dremel is best. perhaps for you and others it is, but there are still people out there who prefer the iron who have had great success.

to each his own really.

V

Vest1ge

Dremal Tool is the best but a proper dremal tool is going to set the home modder back a bit, when you add the price of the pen tip. And i would never attempt this without the pen attachment, also the 105 is the smallest engraving bit they make and works perfect for cutting the wholes in the chip