Corrupt files in Xbins?

Broomcorn

Dec 18, 2004
Florida
I have searched the forums and found no answer. If I flash bios/apps from Xbins on my Xbox, can i be sure that they are not corrupt or contain viruses? Is their a way to check the safety of the bios before flashing? I appreciate your responses.

aloo

VIP Member
Oct 14, 2004
UK
1 use a virus scanner to scan for a virus,
2 i believe they files come with a sfv checker, use that

sb122606

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2004
England
Not that im aware of..
To be honest i've not given it much thought

I worship the ground these developers walk on

Apps from xbins are all "homegrown" so effectively could contain whatever they want ...however not many good reputations are built by screwing everyone up.

People in these sectors work long and hard and a great deal of beta testing goes on before an app or bios is offered for public consumption.

I just trust them all <perhaps just naive> :D

I guess the bottom line is theres not much to gain from screwing up an xbox..we just pick up and start all over again.

michael816

VIP Member
Sep 12, 2004
Well supposing that there were people that wanted to make a virus just to say hey I made the first Xbox virus, and they managed to get it on Xbins... what would it do??? *The real big things it may be able to do have a !!!!!! before them.

It could delete stuff and make stuff

it could open the DVD drive (OHHHH NOOOOO!!!)

!!!!!It might be able to flash over your bios with something that could be pure liquid evil like the microsoft bios and it checks for a mod or something

!!!!!SIGN ON TO LIVE... Im not sure about this one, the X3 may prevent it

take up space... be annoying

nutsak

VIP Member
Oct 27, 2004
California
!!!! fdisk and format the hdd beyond repair :twisted:
but like he said WHY? if i wrote a killer app for the xbox, why would i
want to f**k it up so nobody would ever see or use it?

and i trust all the stuff from xbins for the xbox, and most for the PC, i always scan the PC apps, and some really suspicious ones i take them apart and see what they do.

Floppy Mohawk

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2004
Deltona, Florida
Hey,
Xbins is considered the safest and most reliable source for xbox programs.
That's good enough for thousands and thousands of other people it should be good for you too. If your that anal about it write your own programs.

Besides not everyone can upload to xbins. It's like a website you need the address and access codes to get in.

Floppy

freakzilla3333

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2004
Alot of the stuff on there doesn't have downoad buttons, and the website links dont lead you directly to the download. Takes forever to find the download sometimes.

ryank401

Nov 21, 2004
us
whoever created this post is a douchebag. great job giving people stupid ideas. If they actually do come out with a virus, i'm coming straight to ur house to knock ur ass out! ...I've already started digging ur grave!

Broomcorn

Dec 18, 2004
Florida
hey ryank, take it easy you ass. I mean, its really cool that you can get all fired up over a simple post, but save your anger for something thats worth it. just Chill man

halomaster7777

VIP Member
May 23, 2004
Yeah, but Xbins is a very secure place that all of us use and trust, so he has right to be mad when you come in here and ask does xbins have viruses.

Broomcorn

Dec 18, 2004
Florida
I am obviously a noob using xbins for first time, just want to make sure everything is safe before using them blindly. Cant afford to jsut buy new xbox is this one is screwed up (luckily install was good), so cut me some slack here. Sorry i angered any super sensitive people, i have nothing against xbins. If your just gonna call people douschebags on forums, then just dont write anything at all. You can curse at me to yourself, but theres no need to post it.

lonplei

Dec 18, 2003
Installing a fan under gpu

First of all, i was wondering if someone could tell me if it is worth it to even install a fan. Because i have heard that it really doesnt do any good, even if your xbox keeps cool it can still rrod.

But anyways i was going to install a fan right under the gpu, on the bottom of the mobo.

Cut in the bottom of the 360 plastic and metal case.

Comments would be much appreciated!

[L][X]

Jan 11, 2004
If you're actually going to go through the effort of opening up your xbox then I would go ahead and replace the xclamp and use better thermal paste on the GPU if you're worried of RROD. I wouldn't direct airflow back into the xbox, you're trying to get rid of the heat not blow it back inside the xbox. Plus you're introducing even more spots for dust to collect over time.

mosely

Console Master
Nov 17, 2003
Please don't listen to people who tell you to replace the x-clamps with bolts that screw down the heatsinks and create uneven pressure on the chips. It only damages the chips in the long run and decrease the likely hood of a good professional fix later on. Sure, the xbox can still RROD on you even if you keep it cool. It's the lead-free solder that after X number of times of heating up and cooling down will crack and break a connection which will cause your unit to fail. Installing a fan will increase the lifespan of your console, but not exactly make it RROD-proof. I've seen liquid-cooled xboxs suffer RROD and they remain at low temperatures at all times.

[L][X]

Jan 11, 2004
Please don't listen to people who tell you to replace the x-clamps with bolts that screw down the heatsinks and create uneven pressure on the chips. It only damages the chips in the long run and decrease the likely hood of a good professional fix later on. Sure, the xbox can still RROD on you even if you keep it cool. It's the lead-free solder that after X number of times of heating up and cooling down will crack and break a connection which will cause your unit to fail. .
I can see micro fracturing the chip or even straight up visibly cracking it or even not making sure there is even pressure for heat distrobution and causing it RROD again. Removing the stock X-clamp removes the unnecessary amounts of pressure that it stresses on the chip itself. they also provided little amount of thermal paste, that may not be the case for everyones xbox. And we all know what adding better thermal paste does, not need to explain that.

Also even if you're not convinced that the removing the X-clamp helps then go ahead and, either have someone do it if you can't or don't have the tools, reflow the GPU properly and then put it all back together.

If you know what you're doing then removing the X-clamps and using the right screws and nylon washers with good thermal paste and using a TORQUE screw driver to apply even pressure on all 4 corners then you have nothing to worry about.

"Deathgrin"

True you are blowing in fresh cold air across the bottom of the GPU, but once it gets blown across that GPU it is now heated air circulating past the gpu and cpu heatsinks trying to get their hot air removed as well. Basically IMO you're blowing hot air past the two components you're wanting heat removed from the quickest.

mosely

Console Master
Nov 17, 2003
You still won't get even pressure with only screws or bolts. There is no way for you to screw in the screws that you are using the same amount since no two screws are identical and you just won't be able to gauge it. The x-clamps help distribute the pressure across the chip evenly. Take a look at any heatsink in a computer or graphics card. You will always see that they are somehow attached and need the pressure to press against the chip but again they do it evenly. Im not telling you not to change the thermal paste, you can and it will help but Im not gonna say bolting down the heatsinks is a good idea. It warps the board and once that is done, you can pretty much guarantee that a successful reball won't be possible on that kind of console since the motherboard and chip will be warped. Though, I am also not saying that the x-clamps are magically preventing RROD. The main problem with all modern consoles is they contain lead-free solder which is very brittle and are not as able to handle the cool down (contraction) and heat up (expansion) cycles as well as leaded solder over time. Also, don't forget that lead-free solder still has the famous "tin-whisker" problem that even though reduced from earlier variations of lead free solder still exists. But, I don't wanna argue after all it's the person that has the xbox to decide whether to pursue which methods. Good Luck to whatever method you engage.

lonplei

Dec 18, 2003
ok so new question, does anyone know how to rig fans up to where they run off of usb? or even an outlet?

mosely

Console Master
Nov 17, 2003
It won't be really worth hooking it via usb. You'll only get 5V that means the fans will basically run pretty slowly. If you do not want to solder, then I suggest you buy a external molex power supply, get a adapter to your fan which will most probably be a 3pin to 4 pin adapter and then you'll be able to run the fan off of that power supply.