Could anyone help me check if the solder joints are in the correct places?

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
TX Product(s) used: SLIM PROTO V2, Corona 4GB NAND RW KIT V4
Console Type: Corona V2 (360s)
NAND size: 4GB
Dashboard version: Retail
CB version: -
Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner:
View attachment 27697

J-Runner log:

Code:
[FONT=courier new]===================================================[/FONT]

===================================================
August 3, 2014 3:42:01 AM

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (4) Started

WARNING! - Your selected working directory already contains files!
You can view these files by using 'Show Working Folder' Button

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files

August 3, 2014 3:53:15 AM

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
Corona 4GB Manually Selected
August 3, 2014 3:54:16 AM

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
RGH Selected
RGH2 Selected

Failed to get DiskGeometry.

August 3, 2014 4:13:55 AM

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files

RGH2 Selected

Images of close-up soldering to motherboard:

Description of problem: I cannot read NAND from the SD card from TX Corona 4GB NAND RW Kit V4. J-Runner says "Failed to get DiskGeometry." I tried fiddling with the solder so many times. Could anyone check if the rest of the solder joints are in the right places.

Was the console working before you started: Y

Do you get a green debug light appear on the RGH chip every 4-5 seconds: No.

How long is the light on for each time: -

Attachments

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Is the 4GB kit set to R/W? Also, I assume you have power plugged in but thought I'd confirm.

Reactions: zphingphong

Oggy

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Mar 1, 2010
Where is 5vcc going?

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
It's obvious you didn't use flux.

I did, actually. But I think I didn't use it properly. I just use a q-tip to damp the flex on the joints. It's probably all over the place. :-(

My console doesn't even boot into stock NAND now. When I press the start button, it just beeps once and nothing happened. The fan doesn't even run. No LED light on the power switch either.Any idea? Did I miss any solder joints?

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Last edited:

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Jul 19, 2014
Sunny Florida
Sorry, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I know if it's set to R/W?
I tried a few SD card readers. If it doesn't work at the end, I'll go out and buy the one you suggested.

Thanks!

Slather the QSB joints in flux and reflow. Make sure soldering iron tip is clean and tinned. Don't be afraid to use plenty of flux. Flux is key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Hope this helps. Good luck!

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Look8ng at your 4gb rw kit I see 3 joints that possibly arent making contact and also looks as 13 and 14 are slightly bridged

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43
Look8ng at your 4gb rw kit I see 3 joints that possibly arent making contact and also looks as 13 and 14 are slightly bridged
totally agree, Sorry but it looks like birdshit. I would use some desolder braid, take off all solder and remove qsb. clean mobo contacts with fibreglass pen and clean using a qtip and some isopropyl.
Put qsb in place and layer loads of flux on the contact points. Add some solder to the tip of iron when hot and touch contacts, the solder should flow (add extra solder if necessary) :redface:

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Sorry, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I know if it's set to R/W?
I tried a few SD card readers. If it doesn't work at the end, I'll go out and buy the one you suggested.

Thanks!
On the micro USB part there is a switch.

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Flux is key.
I have to disagree with that. Flux isn't key. Flux is a necessary tool and skill is the key. One can use all of the best flux in the world but without skill its useless. Skill comes with practice, experience, being mechanically inclined and perhaps the most important, having some common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taijigamer2

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but after some troubleshooting (removing QSB, testing each joint at a time), turns out my problem has something to do with the far end joint. The one that's separate our from others joints. Whenever I solder it, my console cannot boot (even to stock ROM), like I described earlier. When I take that one joint out everything works like normal. Have anyone had this issue before with Corona v2? Does anyone know what that particular connection does? Is it power?

I've done a couples RGH on Corona v6, but I'm totally a noob on v2 (actually, still a noob to the whole thing). Not that I don't agree that my soldering skill sucks, but that's just the best I can do, and it has been working fine so far. I'd like to find someone to RGH for me though, but I'm in Vancouver, Canada. The only guy that offer the service, can only RGH anything manufactured before August 2011. :frown:

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
On the micro USB part there is a switch.

It's set to R/W. I saw your old thread on http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138454. I'm having a similar issue with the R/W kit. JRunner just shows a blank drive. Another thing I notice is if I connect the one pad at the end(circled red in the image), my console will not power up.

Base on this diagram, that pad isn't required to be connected. I assume it's a ground. So, that doesn't have any thing to do with the fact that I can't read the NAND. Is my understanding correct? If so, what do you suggest I should try?

Thanks!

Attachments

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey I have had a v2 act like this a while back. Solder a wire from the point boxed in red to a gnd on av port or something then try and read your nand. Worked for me

zphingphong

Jan 5, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Hey I have had a v2 act like this a while back. Solder a wire from the point boxed in red to a gnd on av port or something then try and read your nand. Worked for me

Thanks man. That works. It boots to original ROM. However, it still doesn't read the NAND :frown: I traced all the points on the board to the QSB. Everything connects, and no short. I removed and re-connected them so many times now. No luck. I even started to think the QSB is broken. I try another QSB, no go either. I've done this a few times on v6, never have these many problem. Is there a trick for v2?

I wanted to try to follow this thread, but I doubt it's going to help. Plus those alternative points are way smaller than the these regular points.

Help?

madpie2010

Jan 9, 2014
Land Of OZ
i think the problem is your connection to your pc not noticing your usb connection .i would start there before any thing alse :rolleyes2: