Could Not Detect a Flash Controller ? - Read Here

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
OK If you get the error in NANDPRO "Could Not Detect a Flash Controller" It is 99% likely that your soldering is very poor or that you have maybe overheated / damaged the traces on your motherboard so the NAND cannot be read / detected.

I have personally had several of these come to our factory today and after cleaning them up (all quite messy installs tbh) and fitted the Pin Headers (My personal favorite method - naturally you can use the QSB's or use direct wires) correctly they all detected in Windows first time every time.

There is absolutley no other advice I can give you. Each and every one of the E79's and 'Could Not Detect" errors have been down to a poor installation job on either the NAND or the JTAG kits.

These were designed to work on all Xbox's with minimal fuss - and judging by the amount of pro's who are using these with absolute success shows that they work superbly well. I personally can't get a box to fail (I did have a Xenon that did nothing but E79 - but of course it needed a reflow. Other examples of E79 are the fact that the Xell image is not built correctly for that particular box - bad blocks etc)

Here is a quick example of someone who had all these issues but got the correct info and advice from the forums:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54711

Remember guys - this isn't for beginners. We make it easy to install - but that doesn't mean we make it for people who have absolutley no experience in modding.

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
Re: Could Not Detect a Flash Controller

If you are still having troubles, try closing as many running programs as you can, try closing your network connection so nothing is updating in the back ground, might also help if av is turned off temporally.

Firefox seems to cause me problems when running and dumping nands sometimes.

Ted

I say you should just do a fresh restart of the computer before attempting to connect the Nand-X and reading/writing the NAND.

darkraider69

Noob Account
Jul 24, 2010

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the cannot detect a flash controller, I'm just wanting to know if you need to solder all the points from the pin header on the back of the MB or just the required pins that have the wires attached, yes I'm a noob....any help is appreciated thanks

darkraider69

Noob Account
Jul 24, 2010

Thanks for your feedback, I realise my soldering is the problem, your saying that I should solder all the pins regardless if they are in use or not

Thanks for your time

Thanks for your feedback, I realise my soldering is the problem, your saying that I should solder all the pins regardless if they are in use or not

Thanks for your time
Actually you don't have to solder them all. You only need to solder the ones which have wires connected to them. You solder the other ones if you want to. It just makes the Pin Headers more stable if you solder all the pins.

TAR

Dec 30, 2002
brissol

Hi guys, having the same problem. Bought a box and when i took it apart i could see signs that the jtag wireing has been fitted before, then removed. I dont know the history of this box. Anyways i know my nand x is working fine cause i have another xbox to test it on. Checked wiring a dozen times or more. Im wondering if there is a problem with the jtag points on the mobo, or the nand itself? Ive used the pin headers for the install and know all connections r fine. R there other points on the mobo for reading/writing the nand? Or could i buy another device to read the nand? Any hel welcomed. Thanx.

Hi guys, having the same problem. Bought a box and when i took it apart i could see signs that the jtag wireing has been fitted before, then removed. I dont know the history of this box. Anyways i know my nand x is working fine cause i have another xbox to test it on. Checked wiring a dozen times or more. Im wondering if there is a problem with the jtag points on the mobo, or the nand itself? Ive used the pin headers for the install and know all connections r fine. R there other points on the mobo for reading/writing the nand? Or could i buy another device to read the nand? Any hel welcomed. Thanx.
If the Xbox you have boots, then the NAND itself is fine.

Other than that, you could try the direct wire install method, but if you are sure that the Pin Headers are fine, then there is no need for this.

Also, are you sure the pre-requisites needed before reading/writing the NAND have been done? I mean is the ROL and PSU connected to the Xbox360 etc ?

TAR

Dec 30, 2002
brissol

Yeah, did the direct wire install first, just thought id use the pin headers to be sure. Xbox boots fine. Correct me if im wrong, but the jtag wires r just to run unsigned code? do they need to be connected to read/write the nand?

Yeah, did the direct wire install first, just thought id use the pin headers to be sure. Xbox boots fine. Correct me if im wrong, but the jtag wires r just to run unsigned code? do they need to be connected to read/write the nand?
Yes, you are correct. The JTAG wires are just needed to run XeLL/freeboot etc. They have no relation with the NAND part i.e. reading/writing to the NAND.

Also, have you soldered the Pin Headers from the reverse side of the motherboard and checked that they have soldered correctly ?

Yeah m8, done all that. I'm really stumped at this 1.
Since you did the Direct Wire method first, which means you detached the wires of the Pin Headers. But then you used the Pin Headers method, which means you reattached the wires to Pin Headers, right ? If so, check that the wires have attached correctly.

Also, did you do the prerequisites i.e. Connect the ROL and PSU to the Xbox360 when trying to read/write the NAND ?

TAR

Dec 30, 2002
brissol

No m8, as i had both sets of wires.... The ROL is the long yellow wire, yes? just to clear that up..if so yup connected, and power supply pluged into xbox mobo.

Last edited:

No m8, as i had both sets of wires.... The ROL is the long yellow wire, yes? just to clear that up..if so yup connected, and power supply pluged into xbox mobo.
ROL= Ring of Light module. You need to have the ROL connected to your Xbox360 and the Power Supply connected to the Xbox360 with the light at orange on the PSU. Then try to read the NAND.

Oh yeah, thats all connected fine..
Well then, post some nice pictures of the installation you have done on the motherboard. We'll have a look at it and then carry on with troubleshooting.

TAR

Dec 30, 2002
brissol

Okay will do. What I have tried to do it's trace the point for the yellow wire on the mobo to check for continuity
. I've found the others and they r fine. Just can't seem to trace the yellow. Do u know of any points I could do this? And thanx for ur help so far. I'm sure we will get there lol.

Found em all, all is fine with continuity..

Last edited:

TAR

Dec 30, 2002
brissol

Here r a couple of pics ( sorry bout quality , taken with phone )

Image 54 is the blue/green wires Image 52 r the others. When i opened this xbox up someone had either tried to jtag it , or did jtag it. Either way the points were quite messy..

Last edited: