Could Not Detect a Flash Controller ? - Read Here

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Error in NANDPRO "Could Not Detect a Flash Controller"
I soldered nand-x a dump nand few times, all OK.
I used Jtag Tool to write Xell and now black screen and I cant read nand.
I have "Could Not Detect a Flash Controller."
Is my xbox dead?
Soldering was fine I could read nand and write Xell, but now ...
Is any chance to restore nand?
Forum Rules clearly state no hijacking of someone else's support thread. If you have problems start your own thread.
24 hour ban.

homegrown

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2010
P.E.I. Canada
Well I have a jasper 16mb, CB version 6712, read the nand a couple of times, and then cannot detect flash controller, so I got a nandx problem, I guess. The nandx will read fine one minute and the next time, cannot detect flash controller. I read BAD SOLDERING, not my problem, before I put the QSB's in I put a little dab of solder on all the connections on the M\B where these qsb's go so it looked like little balls on all the points of solder. Stuck the qsb's in place, fit perfect, and then I added a little more solder and I finished soldering all the points. I resoldered all the connections again,I mean they all are good, I used a little bit of flux too, looks real good. My buddy has a falcon we are trying to tag too and we used the pin headers for his, read fine one minute and then cannot detect flash controller. Even took off the black plastic part of the pin headers on the mother board and soldered the pin to the top side of the board and that still did not work, same as above, work for once and then cannot detect flash controller. Just wants to work when it feels like it. Tried uninstalling EVERYTHING and reinstalling (all drives) a couple of times too, tried Coolshrimp, 3 different versions, CMD prompt, samething. It is a brand new nandx kit, we both used Jtag Kit #5 and tried them on all the different setting, never worked like it was supposed to. Don't know if I should waste the money and order a new nandx.

Last edited:

homegrown

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2010
P.E.I. Canada
Well I have a jasper 16mb, CB version 6712, read the nand a couple of times, and then cannot detect flash controller, so I got a nandx problem, I guess. The nandx will read fine one minute and the next time, cannot detect flash controller. I read BAD SOLDERING, not my problem, before I put the QSB's in I put a little dab of solder on all the connections on the M\B where these qsb's go so it looked like little balls on all the points of solder. Stuck the qsb's in place, fit perfect, and then I added a little more solder and I finished soldering all the points. I resoldered all the connections again,I mean they all are good, I used a little bit of flux too, looks real good. My buddy has a falcon we are trying to tag too and we used the pin headers for his, read fine one minute and then cannot detect flash controller. Even took off the black plastic part of the pin headers on the mother board and soldered the pin to the top side of the board and that still did not work, same as above, work for once and then cannot detect flash controller. Just wants to work when it feels like it. Tried uninstalling EVERYTHING and reinstalling (all drives) a couple of times too, tried Coolshrimp, 3 different versions, CMD prompt, samething. It is a brand new nandx kit, we both used Jtag Kit #5 and tried them on all the different setting, never worked like it was supposed to. Don't know if I should waste the money and order a new nandx.

UPDATE:
So I pulled out an old xexon xbox and wired it up in about 2 mins, started reading the nand, work perfect everytime I read it, plugged in my jasper, cannot detect flash controller, plugged in my buddies falcon, cannot detect flash controller. Why is it that it can read that old beat up xexon I had kicking around for years and not these other two, and when we try my jasper or his falcon, it might read once, and then no, not know maybe later. WTF, it blows my mind as I didn't give a sh*t about wiring up the xexon and it worked fine. Is there something about these newer xbox's then them old xexon's? Its not a soldering problem, becasue the other two the soldering looks alot better

Smouken

Apr 16, 2011
Czech republik
I have the same problem
Could Not Detect a Flash Controller.
Soldering is ok and the drivers too.
I tried rebooting, reinstalling and still nothing

xColorado880

VIP Member
Feb 7, 2011
NC, USA
www.Colorado880.com
I had this error a couple weeks ago and somehow the device has died on me. I ordered a USB SPI to cut on cost and it worked fine.

I just ordered another NANDx from Xconsoles today just because of how fast it is.

I am not sure how my NANDx broke but somehow it doesn't read any devices anymore.

JTAGJasper

Apr 29, 2011
Re: Could Not Detect a Flash Controller

Just got it. It carried giving errors, so stopped it. Tried it again and again same with lots of errors. I then disconnected everything and connected again now won't read at all.

I will still spend few hours on it, but let me know if you got other plans?
This is exactly what happened to mine while I was trying to read my nand. From the post it looks like you never found a solution. Have you encountered any new information since then? My 360 still boots and can write to the MU from the M$ dashboard so It can't be beyond help.

Russian06

May 20, 2011
Re: Could Not Detect a Flash Controller

If the Xbox you have boots, then the NAND itself is fine.

Other than that, you could try the direct wire install method, but if you are sure that the Pin Headers are fine, then there is no need for this.

Also, are you sure the pre-requisites needed before reading/writing the NAND have been done? I mean is the ROL and PSU connected to the Xbox360 etc ?
yeah ive been through a struggle with this thing. I have a xenon board installed the pin headers. FIt em in and soldered them. the motherboard was out of its case. Does the ROL have to be in for a good nand flash to work? cuz i didnt have it and i think the soldering is fine. any help is appreciated thanks il post pics later

xboxmoddz

Feb 19, 2011
i have a falcon board that had the cpu swapped with an exploitable cpu and nand. the xbox boots fine and everything, i have used the boxxdr method and am using wires on my nand x to dump the nand and i get the could not detect error.

these are new wires i ordered for the nand x. i have done 20 jtags in the past, i rebuilt the J1D2 before on another falcon.

anyways the wires and i resoldered them 3 times, tested them on another 2 consoles.

just to be safe i rebuilt the J1D2 on this board, while i was doing so i noticed the component that the yeller wire on this pic connects to was not on properly
http://www.dports.me/Xmods/J1D2_bottom.JPG

possibly it moved during the reflow/ reball. i fixed it and soldered the wire to it and did the rest.

i still get the same error. i just jtagged a box 20 mins ago, but this console is crapped.

wdclub

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2011
I have the same problem
Could Not Detect a Flash Controller.
Soldering is ok and the drivers too.
I tried rebooting, reinstalling and still nothing
All the same. Only add that I tried QSB, direct wires, and finally, to be completely sure, Pin Headers (all connections are always tested with multimeter).. tried on Windows 7 and on another PC with Windows XP - the same result always: "Could Not Detect a Flash Controller!"

Have a Jasper console with 256Mbit NAND Flash (HY27US08561A)

Any advice please.

wdclub

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2011
Is anybody help me please to try to solve this 'Could Not Detect a Flash Controller' issue. :frown:

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43
You shouldn't hijack this thread. Start a new one and you'll get better help that way
Hes not hijacking any thread ? its general thread about Flash controllers. Look at page 1, people are asking questions there. Mini-modding is just as much frowned upon as thread hijacking so let the moderators do there job. If they feel he has hijacked a thread then they will take action.

dale;)

So I pulled a bonehead move and soldered the xenon jtag j1f1 qsb on backwards, could I have fried my NAND-x? I put it on properly and now I get the not detected error on multiple computers. Any ideas ?

Also it is a xenon board I with an exploitable dash I was working on

Last edited:

OilyD

Dec 26, 2010
In my man shed
Not sure whether to reply here or start my own thread but here goes.
Soldered my pin headers on my xenon,dumped my nand a few times,compared them,no problems there,installed Xell,turns on and get 3 red lights instantly.OK I thought I'll look at my soldering after searching the forum etc.They look ok.
Now I've tried to flash to back the original nand and now it's saying "could not detect a flash controller" no matter what I do,re-install drivers,restart pc,reset nand x,none of the above work?

Any ideas please

jacinto8a

Noob Account
Apr 15, 2011
Hi

I having the same issues than OilyD but the 3RLoD

I dumped the nand (trinity) 5 times, then compare them, everythin ok. Write xell, got the CPU Key, and when I wanted to proceed to write the nand patched got the "could not detect a flash controller"

Can be the soldering job 'cause I dumped the nand 5 times.

Any help will be appreciate. Do you thing the nand-x is dead ? is there a way so I can fix it ?

jacinto8a

Noob Account
Apr 15, 2011
I checked the solder and resolder again, same issue. Restart PC, unplug and plug the usb cable, led is orage.

Do you know if is there a fuse on it ?

edenstar

Noob Account
Apr 29, 2010
Is anybody help me please to try to solve this 'Could Not Detect a Flash Controller' issue. :frown:
I had the same problem as to window 7 x64 not installing the nandpro_20d_drivers this is what i did:-

THAT IF YOU ALL READY HAVE THE USBPRO DRIVER

Goto:-

Control Panel\System and Security\Device Manager= other devices-Memory Access\Update Driver
Software\Browse my computer for driver software\Let me pick from a list of device drivers on
my computer\libusb-Win32 Devices

use this driver and your up and runing? it did the trick for me, the funny thing is after when i
update the driver to the the orginal nandpro_20d_drivers it work? :)

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
I have a orderd a few packs of pin headers a while ago. I have been just using the wires solderd on and leave them in the xbox. I have had could not detect flash controler a few times just allways re solderd the wires. Just removed the solder from the holes with flux and de solder braid. Fitted the pin headers and solderd them in. I now can read and write with no errors and no bad blocks and ever nand dump is the same.
Thanks for this post realy helpfull.

Support Our Sponsors