Could not detect flash controller but worse.

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
This is my first thread that i have opened EVER so you know this might be a challenge.

Here we go then.
I'll explain step by step what i have done:

1. I installed the nand-x qsb's (all of them).
2. Installed drivers(win xp 32)
3. Used Nand pro to dump. I got 3 identical dumps error free.
4. Wrote Xell via Jtag tool 2.01.

Problems:

As soon as i wrote Xell the box wouldn't boot, nothing, DEAD.
So i tried to write back the original working dump and !!ooops!! cannot detect flash blah blah blah.

So i started doing some reading on the forum and read that if you get this message it's most likely it's your soldering.

5. So i checked it and double checked till the point of re-soldering the wires straight on the points BUT again you guessed it - Could not.................. blah.

Then i did some more reading AND then found out that if you write a xell that isnt made for your model xbox( mines a falcon) you get these symptoms - dead xbox, Could not Blah.

There is as solution though, if you short the points 44-47 on the nand you can then rear/write to your nand again. So i thought good i'll try that.

6. I disconnected the psu, shorted 44 to 47, plugged in the psu, unshorted the nand but still no luck. I tried that for one and half hours. Then i did some more reading and found this http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t700983.html So i tried that too and still it didn't work Could not detect ##$#$%.

Here are the pics of my soldering:

What else could it be??? Did i fry my nand? Is it my Nand-X??? Soldering??? Although my soldering looks good. Im flushed , cant think of anything.

Any suggestions?

Jun 4, 2010
Don't know if this will make a difference in your case, but you got the red and black wires the wrong way. Swap them over ..

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
1) delete jtag tool 2.01 and get 1.74

2) if u hit the reset button on the nand x do u still get could not find flash controller
I tried the reset button several times but still the same effect.
I'll try jtag tool 1.74 but it still uses nand pro to read/write doesn't it?

rocket8080

BANNED
Jul 9, 2010
uk, Oxfordshire
mate sorry to hear that you still have not got yours working yet. you might want to re-touch the red wire as the connection doesnt look that great. The only other thing that I can think of is instead is to short out all the pins on the side of pins 44&47. This has worked for a few people but is not highly recommended by some.

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
mate sorry to hear that you still have not got yours working yet. you might want to re-touch the red wire as the connection doesnt look that great. The only other thing that I can think of is instead is to short out all the pins on the side of pins 44&47. This has worked for a few people but is not highly recommended by some.
I re-soldered the red wire but nothing and shorted all the pins in the side where 44 and 47 are located and no deal.

Im starting to think something must of happened to the nand-x or the actual nand. Im waiting on another nand-x thats on its way, should be were by the end of the week.
If that doesn't work the we've ruled out everything except the nand itself.

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
your correct you flashed the wrong xell containing the incorrect smc that is the boot and flash problem, you need to try plugging in the console at the same time as you press enter to write the new xell image, also try slightly before and after plugging in when you press flash/enter. getting the timing write is a pain,
if that fails try the 5v mod.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700983

Ted

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
your correct you flashed the wrong xell containing the incorrect smc that is the boot and flash problem, you need to try plugging in the console at the same time as you press enter to write the new xell image, also try slightly before and after plugging in when you press flash/enter. getting the timing write is a pain,
if that fails try the 5v mod.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700983

Ted
Actually Ted i tried the 5v mod, As soon as i plugged in the usb to the pc the middle light in the ROL light up so that must mean i connected it correctly. But when i tried to write to the nand the same message appeared!

I will try that method you described and we'll see if it works. This has been driving me crazy :mad: !!!

Thanks Ted, i will post back the result.

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
Well..... Guess what? still nothing. I just wont write. I tried the tip you(Ted) gave me with the timing and the 5v mod again.

Is it possible that i've damaged the nand? or the nand-X? I have been pushing them pretty hard to get them to work( 44-47 short trick and whole row short trick).
I don't know.

Thank again for helping though guys, much appreciated.

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
I would suggest this....
http://www.vgcrepairs.biz/zen_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_68&products_id=410

This device in a sense really does not care what is on your nand. In this case I am assuming your nand is curropted and if you soder up this bad boy you can write to your nand again.

Well this could be it's last straw. Lets hope my assumptions are correct and indeed it is a bad flash, otherwise the box will go for parts. I can always reuse the cygnos on my next box :) at least.

Thanks for your help. I think im starting to understand jtag ;) do's and dont's .:D

Jun 4, 2010
If you're NAND-X is still wired, try this ... .connect a controller to the console and then try to read the NAND while look at the centre button of the controller and see if it flickers or not.

If it does, at least that confirms the NAND-X is establishing a connection.

rocket8080

BANNED
Jul 9, 2010
uk, Oxfordshire
Useful tip, never knew it did that with the controller!!

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
I connected a usb controller and tried to read but no flickering. Thanks for the tip though, it might be useful.
So then this means it's the nand-x? Im still waiting on the other nand-x that i ordered, Should be here by next week. So we'll see.

Jun 4, 2010
It's not the NAND-X or at least I doubt it, I've got 2 and both give me the same thing on boards that have similar issues to you. I'm assuming when you meant by USB you meant the standard wired controller?

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
It's not the NAND-X or at least I doubt it, I've got 2 and both give me the same thing on boards that have similar issues to you. I'm assuming when you meant by USB you meant the standard wired controller?

Yes the standard usb wired controller. Well im out of ideas, Did you the methods described above and solved the problem?

Jun 4, 2010
It didn't fix the problem but it indicates that there might be a solution, just someone has to find it. Whether it's a damaged trace on the board, a corrupt image, variation in voltage or short in circuits no one knows yet!!!!

You think having 1 board that is doing this is bad, try 5 :rolleyes:

maxallepi

Sep 7, 2010
Cyprus
It didn't fix the problem but it indicates that there might be a solution, just someone has to find it. Whether it's a damaged trace on the board, a corrupt image, variation in voltage or short in circuits no one knows yet!!!!

You think having 1 board that is doing this is bad, try 5 :rolleyes:
Heh i know it's a pain in the a$$ isn't it.

Well i got NEWS!!!! The problem has nothing to do with the nand-x rather with the board itself. I can confirm the due to the fact that i used it to jtag another 360 and it work!!!! Although i thing i damaged it because it can only dump once maybe twice untill it fills the screen with errors( you know the ones :) ) So i had to disconnect and leave for a minute and then it would continue to dump again flawlessly.

So Nand-X out of the question. What else?

BTW the jtag was a complete success! only one problem though. Some time when i turn the box on the middle light stays on and nothing more, Then the second time it boots. Its a 70-30% success.

Anyway i'll keep this thread posted if any luck.

Cheers.