Could someone check this?

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Hello.

My first attempt at trace cuts was rubbish and so I went back with a magnified glass and did it again. This time I am concerned that I took off too much of the copper trace and so was hoping if someone could take a quick look at it and get back to me.

I thought it was all good as I kept getting the green light but I read elsewhere that it's good to use a multimeter to test it. I will get one tomorrow if it's thought that these cuts are good.

I simply can't get the thing into vendor mode! I am pretty sure my via card is setup ok as I removed the drivers and all that stuff... Been trying this for a couple of weeks now before I came on here.

Thanks for any help by the way.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Phew... I have been reading other peoples posts and have been worried that I f'd it up. Oh and thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, Jungleflasher detects the drive when I have it switched to normal and refresh. Then I follow the jungleflasher tutorial (intro/outro) and it always shows the same errors. I am just re-assembling the drive after re-checking it again and will post the exact error.

And before you ask, yes I have tried the 3 resistor settings, the Clip is set to Normal (the one inside the DVD drive) and I have tried various click on off on off etc techniques. All to no avail! I'm stumped!!

Well get back to you in a moment with the error codes.

Cheers.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Well it's nice to know the cuts are ok, but it's still not working. Thanks for the suggestion, Xmods, but I made doubly sure the last time I hooked it up that all the pins were aligned perfectly through the little perspex viewing window on the clip!

Question: Could this be a driver issue with the VIA card even if the drive appears in Jungleflasher??

No it's not a driver issue just a stubborn drive they are actually rare so just keep trying and it will go into vendor eventually.

Just fix the LT firmly in place and dont move it and then it's all about timing.
I would suggest using 18 Ohms and keep trying the intro.

I wouldnt suggest removing the LT clip constantly as you then have a larger chance of damaging something!

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Ok, thank you, that's certainly good to know.

As a side note (and I think this goes some way to affirming your comment about the driver question I had) when I still had the VIA driver installed my PC hung on two separate occasions. I guess that could have been brought on by it going into vendor mode, at least I hope so! It happened twice in maybe a total of 50 tries (yeah, I've been going at it) but stupidly I can't remember which OHMS I had set it to on those *successes*!

But, I digress... Thank you for all the help, and if I get it working I will post back to let everyone know.

Cheers.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Sorry this has been such a long time coming, but I wanted to let everyone know that when I heard of the USBpro I decided to wait for that to be released and then try again.

This morning, first try with the USB pro it went into vendor mode! So, even though I had followed all the Via driver guides, the portio64.sys was installed correctly, my PC just didn't want to play ball.

Thanks to the USBpro I am up and running. Thanks guys, awesome bit of kit.

As a side note, I am so glad I took on the responsibility of flashing my own drive, especially with all the new AP2.5 and new disc formats coming. Hopefully I will be set up for the future.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Oh man!

So, I plugged the drive back into my xbox and was getting the read error. All it said was Eject Drive. No games (official or otherwise) will work on it now.

My initial thought was, oh, it's the pot. So, I decided to buy a multimeter so I could adjust it without worry. Today I saw on a forum that I should have disconnected the laser ribbon when flashing the drive. Is this true? Nowhere in the JF tutorial did it state this, so if I have burned out my laser... Well, it's a little annoying as I followed all the guides to the letter!

If I am wrong and I missed it then my bad. Can someone shed any light? I have a spare BENQ drive that I could spoof if the worst comes to the worst... Except that my CK3 pro won't eject the tray!! Still, I will jump that hurdle if I need to.

Thanks for the help.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Oh man!

So, I plugged the drive back into my xbox and was getting the read error. All it said was Eject Drive. No games (official or otherwise) will work on it now.

My initial thought was, oh, it's the pot. So, I decided to buy a multimeter so I could adjust it without worry. Today I saw on a forum that I should have disconnected the laser ribbon when flashing the drive. Is this true? Nowhere in the JF tutorial did it state this, so if I have burned out my laser... Well, it's a little annoying as I followed all the guides to the letter!

If I am wrong and I missed it then my bad. Can someone shed any light? I have a spare BENQ drive that I could spoof if the worst comes to the worst... Except that my CK3 pro won't eject the tray!! Still, I will jump that hurdle if I need to.

Thanks for the help.
How quickly does it come back with 'open tray'? If it's immediately, it's not the laser per-se, it's the position of the laser. You need to manually move the laser back to the spindle motor - a common problem with these drives.

POT tweaks are always a last resort. I hope you took note of the value before you started!

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
I haven't tried a pot tweek yet. And now you mention it, the laser was in the middle of the drive when I re-assembled it, BUT it takes AGES to come up with the 'Open Tray' message (so it could be the laser after all). Thanks for your help, I will try re positioning the laser first.

Will post back with the results.

redonep4

Mar 16, 2010
UK
why U don't use probe 3 methode?? Just do good soldering on your PCB and have a look on probe v3 tut.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
@Martin C - Darn it! Oh well, I will still try re-positioning the laser first.

@redonep4 - The drive flashed ok, it's the lens that is the problem now. Besides, I bought the LT Clip way before the Probe III came out! Oh, and I live in Taiwan and the cost of shipping is pretty big. Thanks for the suggestion though.

demongamesuk

Jul 13, 2010
Taiwan
Sorry to double post again.

Well, I got tired of trying to sort out my Liteon and spending more money, so I decided to spoof my BenQ to Liteon. Worked first time and I am back in the game. Boy am I glad I had that lying around.

Thanks to everyone for their help and the easy to follow JF tutorials. I just wish it had told me to take out that ribbon though, would have saved a ton of hassle. Will keep the dead drive if the need ever arises and I have to fix it.

:)