CR4 Corona V1 red dot after writing ecc

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
  • Console Type: Corona v1 (Star Wars Limited Edition)
  • Programmer Used: JRP v2.0
  • NAND Size: 16
  • Dashboard version: 17511
  • CB Version: 13181
  • Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner: (attach an image to your post)
  • J-Runner log
  • updflash.bin log (if applicable)
  • Image of the CR4 XL
  • Images of close-up soldering to motherboard (attach images to your post)
  • Detailed Description of the Problem
  • Was the console working before you started: Yes but I think I may have severed a trace or possible multiple traces. I was still able to read and write the nand after that though. I didn't test after the possible trace damage to see if it would boot.
  • Do you get a green debug light appear on the CR4 XL chip every 4-5 seconds: N
  • How long is the light on for each time (be aware that if you're trying to work on a faulty console, this is not a T-X product issue!!). N/A

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble trying to RGH a Corona V1 with a CR 4 XL. It's been quite a saga so far. It took all day but I was finally able to read the nand, create the ecc and write the ecc. When I try to boot into Xell to get the CPU key so that I can build and flash the hacked image, I get a red dot.

As far as I can tell, I've followed all of the directions. The only thing I can think of is that when I was taking the x clamp off my screw driver slipped and scratched the board. I looked at it with some loupes and I don't see any severed traces. I tested all of the points with a multimeter for continuity and they all came back good. The fact that I'm able to read and write the nand makes me think the soldering is good too.

I'm honestly at the end of my rope with this project, so I'm definitely open to sending it "to a pro" to get it done right unless there's something obvious that I'm overlooking. I don't want to risk any further damage by continuing to try to solder and resolder, etc.

If one (or more) traces were severed, would that still allow me to read/write the nand but not boot? That's all I can think of. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I added the filled out template and pictures.

Code:
===================================================
Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:38:53 PM

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (8) Started

Checking Files
Unable to check files
Version: 10
Flash Config: 0x00043000
Corona
CB Version: 13181
Corona
Reading Nand to K:\Video Games\Xbox 360\Tools\RGH\J-Runner v0.3 Beta 8 17511\output\nanddump1.bin
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:33 min:sec

Reading Nand to K:\Video Games\Xbox 360\Tools\RGH\J-Runner v0.3 Beta 8 17511\output\nanddump2.bin
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Corona
Glitch2 Selected
Nand Initialization Finished
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:33 min:sec

Comparing...
Nands are the same
ECC created
Writing Nand
image_00000000.ecc
Done!
in 0:18 min:sec

Last edited:

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
if you write nand back to console does it boot?
Hi Playingmax,

Thanks for your reply! I tried selecting retail and writing the original nand back. It makes the startup sounds (r2d2, it's a star wars edition) and the ring of light is blue for a split second but still goes to a red dot.

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
After a closer look I feel pretty confident that it's because of the damage to the trace(s). It looks like it would probably be most cost-effective to just buy a new system and try again.

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
I really thought it was the trace but I checked tonight for continuity with my multimeter and they're showing continuity. Is it possible that this is some sort of software problem (like a bad nand flash)? No matter what I do I get a red dot. Last thing I did was load up original nand, select "retail" and wrote it back. Any insight?
Traces

Last edited:

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
Alright so I tried to get everything back to square one. Can someone more fluent in Jrunner tell me if I'm doing it right? As I said above, I checked the traces with a multimeter and I'm getting continuity. This makes me think that maybe it's a software thing like I messed up the nand or something. Honestly I really don't know, I fully admit that it's probably something really dumb that I did. I soldered my JR Programmer wires back to the board. I'm able read and write the nand no problem. I can do that all day. So that tells me that my nand points aren't damaged either. I tried to write my original nand dump back to see if it worked. The first time, I selected "retail" from the xebuild tab. The second time I just loaded the original nand dump and clicked write nand. Both have resulted in a red dot. Are there any special settings I should be enabling/disabling, things I can look for to check if the nand dumps I have are bad, etc? Do I have to have the hdmi plugged in for it to boot? I didn't have hdmi plugged in, not sure if that matters. I just want to make sure that I'm not completely starting over if it's something really easy like fix the nand and flash it back. Anyway, thanks again to anyone who can help. Sorry for being dumb.
Code:
Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:48:01 PM

WARNING! - Your selected working directory already contains files!
You can view these files by using 'Show Working Folder' Button

Checking Files
Unable to check files
Flash Config: 0xFFFFFFFF
Error: 000 reading block 0
Error: 000 reading block 1
Error: 000 reading block 2
Error: 000 reading block 3
FFFFFFFF
Corona Manually Selected
Reading Nand to K:\Video Games\Xbox 360\Tools\RGH\J-Runner v0.3 Beta 8 17511\output\nanddump1.bin
Cancelled
Flash Config: 0x00000000
Can not Continue
Can not Continue
Can not Continue
Can not Continue
Can not Continue
Could not find a part of the path.

Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:48:59 PM

Connection Error
Checking Files
Unable to check files
Can not Continue
Corona
Glitch2 Selected
Initializing nanddump2.bin..
Corona
Can not Continue

Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:55:47 PM

Checking Files
Unable to check files
Corona
CB Version: 13181
Corona
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:29 min:sec

Reading Nand to K:\Video Games\Xbox 360\Tools\RGH\J-Runner v0.3 Beta 8 17511\output\nanddump2.bin
Corona
Glitch2 Selected
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:31 min:sec

Comparing...
Nands are the same
Corona
Writing Nand
nanddump1.bin
Done!
in 3:46 min:sec

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
Ok so I have a new theory and some questions. I noticed that one of the mosfets seems to have a solder splash on it. I theorize that this could be causing a short therefore causing my red dot. Of course this is just a guess but of it's correct, can it be solved by just removing the extra solder with solder wick? Would I need to replace the mosfet? Is that crazy difficult and does anyone here do that type of work. Hopefully this isn't too many questions. Thanks everyone for looking, trying not to be annoying. Please feel free to move this to the noobs section of it's more appropriate there.

Last edited:

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
Update:

I cleaned up the solder from the mosfet and it booted! Well at least the power light came on (no more red dot!), the fan spun, and the green debug light flashed every 5 seconds. I didn't get a picture on the screen which I've heard can happen on Coronas. I tried to grab the CPU key over ip in Jrunner but it keeps saying Xbox not detected. My theory is it's just taking forever to glitch and boot xell, but I can't tell because there's no picture on the screen. I at least know I'm way closer than I was before. I loaded the original nand in Jrunner, created ecc, wrote ecc, and then hooked the Xbox up to my tv and router, then powered on via the eject button. Any ideas? Thanks again everyone for all of your help and also to PlayingMax for his help here and in the messages!

Jrok96

Oct 12, 2015
thats good to hear. what dips do you have flipped on your chip, which post bits have you tried? also does debug led stop flashing/does ring of light spin like normal?

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
thats good to hear. what dips do you have flipped on your chip, which post bits have you tried? also does debug led stop flashing/does ring of light spin like normal?
So far I have the default jumper position and I have dips 3 and 8 up. So far it hasn't stopped flashing and I have not seen the ring of light spin but I think it's just because it's trying to glitch into Xell. Going to shorten the wires, re do the solder joints on the chip, and try some different post bit values. I'm a lot more optimistic now than I was before!
if you flash original nand back does console boot?
if so write ecc back to console and try different dip setting.
I haven't had a chance to try flashing the original nand back to boot retail, but I definitely will do that. When I flash it back, do I need to select "retail" from the options in Jrunner? I know that sounds kind of dumb but I just want to confirm.

Thanks again!

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
Ok so I removed the power wire to the CR4 and flashed the original nand back with retail selected. I got a red dot, although it took a few seconds as opposed to an almost instant red dot as before. I then shortened all the wires to the chip, loaded original nand in Jrunner, created ecc, wrote ecc, and I'm back to where I was last night. It Powers up, no picture on the screen, green debug light every 5 seconds but never seems to get to Xell. Xbox not detected when I scan ip range for CPU key (Xbox connected to router with Ethernet cable). I also made sure to have CR4 checked when I created the ecc. I tried the jumper in all three positions. I tried dips 3 and 8,. 2 and 7, and also 3,7, and 8. I know I'm close but I'm stumped.

trendkill918

Jan 14, 2005
red light on the rf board when u flash retail nand. console is shot. and just an FYI xbox will not be detected if console doesnt boot into xell.
Thanks. Going to check and try a few more things but if they don't work out I'll probably cut my losses. Thanks again for all of your help. I'll update if I manage to fix it.