JASPER CR4 XL R-JTAG+ glitches 5 times a second (with 6 pictures) first time install

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
First I installed the CR4 XL with my own wires and it took about 10 minutes to boot the big block (512MB) Jasper into Xell.
Dumped cpukey via LAN, and with J-runner I created an image based on 17150 and wrote it back with NAND-X.
After that it took another 10 minutes to boot the image, and the Xbox 360 just booted fine. So concluded that the image written to the NAND is good.
What I have seen 1 time, is that the Xbox 360 was hanging in the menu once. Booted the console 10 times, and 1 time I have seen that. Maybe need to tweak the smc_config values later on.

Because of the long boot time, I concluded tweaking and tuning makes no sense, and I decided to use the wires, which came with the CR4 XL and installed those wires according to the setups I could find here.

Now, the Xbox 360 makes a glitching sound of about 5 times a second. Checked my soldering connections and on shorts with a multimeter and all seems fine.
Desoldered cpu_rst wire, and the problem is the same, glitching sound about 5 times a second.

I stopped for a while with the R-Jtag/RGH2.0 for 360 fats because of the time I needed to do installs, and because not too much people wanted to have the Xbox 360 fat model being modified with RGH/Jtag because the RROD problems. Because this time I have a Jasper (less sensitive for RROD, only have seen 1 Jasper with RROD 0102 out of more then 1000 fat RROD's), I decided to pick it up again, because this CR4 XL chip would be the state of the art top chip with instant boot times and hardly tweaking needed.

Below you can see the way I installed the CR4 XL. I put an extra drop of glue on solder point B, not to correct my soldering, but for extra strength.

IMG_9003.jpg
IMG_9004.jpg
IMG_9005.jpg
IMG_9007.jpg
IMG_9008.jpg
IMG_9009.jpg

Hopefully you got hints and tips to get fast boot times (instant boot times hopefully).

Attachments

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
I would use the standard wire for cpu rst point second u need to put some electrical tape or heat tubing on the end of where the wire and diode is connected, me personally like using the qsb for underneath the mb/ and what dips have u tried need to post jr log and fillout template

Reactions: proconsoles

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
Removed all the wires, flashed the nand back to stock.
Dumped twice, compared them with crcchecker, and the nand actually is stock.

Booted, got 3RROD with 0022 code, grrrr.

Checked all connections, seems that there was a broken solder connection at the component at which I soldered the coax cpu_rst wire.

Repaired the connection, checked with a multimeter, compared it with a scrap jasper board. Everything should be ok, but the 0022 error code persisted.

Below you can see a picture:

Clipboard01.jpg

I was very very carefull when I soldered the coax cable to the little point, but somehow you need to be more carefull then that.

Strange thing is, that all the connections, are oke.

original cpu_rst point <-> the point at the other side of the mobo (under the cpu heatsink) = OK
from the point at the other side of the mobo (under the cpu heatsink) <-> 1 kOhm resister = OK
Measured the resistor = 1012 Ohm
Measured from top resistor <-> J8C1 point 2 = OK

Put everything back together with fan and drive connected, turned it on and again the fan slowed down 5x a second and after that 3RROD with 0022.
At the time the 3RROD appeared, the fan started to run normally.

Does somebody has a hint for me, what to do next. Should I replace the resistor ? Know that the mobo side underneath the resistor is OK.

Replaced resistor:

new resistor.jpg

same problem...

Measured all the connections and everything looks fine. Measured resistor 1013 Ohm.

Last edited:

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
Like I mentioned earlier, suddenly after I installing the CR4 XL with the coax cpu_rst cable and flashing the 17150 patched image to the NAND, the 0022 error was seen. Also when making the Xbox 360 Jasper totally original.
I noticed that the coax cable soldering connection to the 1 kOhm resistor was broken and did not make any connection to the resistor, but was making connection to the original and alternative cpu_rst point which lead to the CPU.

Actually the resistor only has a function, when there is something connected to J8C1 point 2.

So somehow, I make the conclusion, that something has been damaged within the CPU, maybe caused by the cpu_rst signal, coming from the CR4 XL.

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
Like I mentioned earlier, suddenly after I installing the CR4 XL with the coax cpu_rst cable and flashing the 17150 patched image to the NAND, the 0022 error was seen. Also when making the Xbox 360 Jasper totally original.
I noticed that the coax cable soldering connection to the 1 kOhm resistor was broken and did not make any connection to the resistor, but was making connection to the original and alternative cpu_rst point which lead to the CPU.

Actually the resistor only has a function, when there is something connected to J8C1 point 2.

So somehow, I make the conclusion, that something has been damaged within the CPU, maybe caused by the cpu_rst signal, coming from the CR4 XL.
honestly id be worrying more with getting xell booting so u can check the efuses.you sure you have taken no official updates since you dumped the nand? jaspers are very touchy ive noticed over the years with rgh and its not hard to kill the cpu.

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
For sure I did not update the xbox with a retail dash, after I dumped the nands.

And when the cpu has been killed, what could I have done to prevend this ? The coax cable was recommended for a perfect clean wave........ And what has caused the probable dead of the CPU.

I would have never expect, that I can kill the CPU of the Jasper. The only thing I can think about, is that the cpu_rst signal has killed the CPU.

Now probably my Jasper (best fat model when it comes to RROD), is dead, because of just doing the things, like you expect it to do.

NOT HAPPY NOW.....

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
You can't blame the chip. Your system was never design to have this equipment installed in it. You made the decision to install it. No one forced you to do that.

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
I only try to find the cause and solution to fix this problem.

I am very happy with all the TX products, but I did not know these kind of risks with the CR4 XL.

Many questions I have, like:

1) What exactly caused this 0022 problem ?
2) What exactly has been broken ?
3) Can this be fixed ?
4) Are only Jasper models affected ?
5) What is the chance that this will happen again, when I install the chip in a Xbox 360 fat model ?
6) What could I have done, to prevend this kind of problems in the future with Xbox 360 fat models ?

Just normal questions when you troubleshoot a problem.

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
The resistor you replaced have nothing to do with the problem you have. 0022 could have many causes but a usual one after a RGH attempt is a blown CPU (the input protection diode), or a faulty LDV. Another cause I remember from the early days of damage caused to the PLL_BYPASS area (where the white wire went). How many seconds does it take to RROD?

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
Thanks, I will check that on monday or tuesday of the PLL_BYPASS area.

I think it just takes a couple of seconds to get the 3RROD. Just as fast as an 3RROD with 0102 (GPU) secundary error code. After I got the 0022 error, I flashed the NAND back to stock, double checked again, to make sure it was really back to stock.
But at that time, the 0022 error did not go away.

What I see is the following:

1) I turn on the Xbox 360
2) I hear the fan slowing down maybe 5 times a second.
3) Then I see the 3RROD and the fan started to run normally
4) With the sync and eject buttons, I read out the secundary error code which is 0022.

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
Thanks, I will check that on monday or tuesday of the PLL_BYPASS area.

I think it just takes a couple of seconds to get the 3RROD. Just as fast as an 3RROD with 0102 (GPU) secundary error code. After I got the 0022 error, I flashed the NAND back to stock, double checked again, to make sure it was really back to stock.
But at that time, the 0022 error did not go away.

What I see is the following:

1) I turn on the Xbox 360
2) I hear the fan slowing down maybe 5 times a second.
3) Then I see the 3RROD and the fan started to run normally
4) With the sync and eject buttons, I read out the secundary error code which is 0022.
Checked the PLL_BYPASS area, no missing components or something damaged further on (only checked with bare eyes).

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
If I remember right you can check PLL_BYPASS by measuring continuity between it and ground. If it has continuity then the protection diode is blown and you'll have to replace the CPU.

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
It does not have continuity between CPU_PLL_BYPASS (white wire) and GND.

When I put my multimeter on Ohm, I measure 7.68 kOhm between CPU_PLL_BYPASS and GND.

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
It's been a while and I really don't remember. Maybe it is a resistance value that determines if it's good or bad. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify it for you.

proconsoles

May 21, 2011
Today I did a Falcon with 17150 with CR4 XL and that went perfect !!!!!
First only dip switch 7 -> no boot
Then dip 3 & 7 on -> always instant boot :)