RGH Creating a SATA Power Switch for Hard Drives

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
This isn't the exact place to put this, but neither is the case modding section. I figure I would put it here because I know this sections gets great support.

What I am looking to do is basically an ultimate example of laziness, but at the same time it is still a great project. At first I thought, hmm I think I am gonna buy a DemoN even though I have a retail just for convenience so I have my RGH and retail in one. Then I thought why not take it further and integrate both the retail and RGH hard drive so they are both internal (yes I could just keep swapping hard drives but that ruins the project AND its a pain in the ass for me because my RGH hard drive is an early 2.5" 1TB drive so its height is higher than 9mm so it doesn't fit into one of the slim hard drive shells). Basically what I imagine is stripping the SATA power cables, grouping the grounds, and then wiring up the remaining 3 power wires (since there are two hard drives a total of 6) to some switch system that would have those 18 wires as "OUT" and the "IN" would be the SATA port on the Xbox. Now obviously that is a lot of wires, so I don't know if cutting just one of the lines cuts the operation, for the whole drive (I think that just cutting one of the lines would hurt the drive since it would still be getting some power), OR I could use a SATA to MOLEX adapter to reduce the cables to 2 per line.

Problem is that I don't know of any switches that would be cable of doing this and like I said I don't know if there is some trick where I can just cut one line and have the drive power down. Basically I just want to have a switch that toggles between the power of both drives so I can select which one is one with the throw of that switch.

Any one have any ideas on how to make this work?

EDIT:
I have seen on the net people talking about only cutting the main +12V source and +5V soruce (ignoring the 3.3V source because apparently most devices these days dont even use it) in which cause I could use a DPDT switch to have both wires change over, though I still don't know if cutting just those is safe. Though it is possible that makes sense because on a molex cable there is only +12V and +5V lines and I am guessing the SATA power to MOLEX converter works by just Ditching the 3.3V line. So it seems to be if I used a SATA to MOLEX converter I could use a DPDT switch on the red and yellow lines to toggle the power on and off. Also, if the converter does work the way I stated, I can simply group the +12V and +5V sources and then use a DPDT switch on them without even using the converter (essentially manual conversion).

EDIT2:
Ok it seems that the 3.3V line is not used by modern 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs because manufactures knew people would want to use MOLEX to SATA connectors so they configure drives to only need the 12V and 5V sources, and then generate the 3.3V off of the 5V line if they need it for what ever reason. So it seems that a DPDT switch to switch between each hard drives 5V and 12V lines would do the trick. I would still love others thoughts though.

Last edited:

ezzda1

VIP Member
Jul 8, 2009
Bolton, UK
I was thinking along these lines for a demon jasper. But was hoping tx would produce something slick that can hold 2 hard drives plug into where the hdd goes and be connected to the demon nand select button. So when you switch nands it switches the hard drives too.
I think theres definitely a market for phat dual hdd solution, especially with the new hack coming soon.

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
It would be nice if TX came out with something on there own. Now that I figured this out I have a solution but the next step would be combining it with the DemoN switch so that they turn on and off at the same time. Problem is that the DemoN power switch doesnt actually break a circuit it just sends an electric single that tells the DemoN to turn on. I think the best way to do it would be to use a 4PDT switch and have the two extra lines be the 3.3V line for the DemoN and the Coolrunner. Then you would just leave the DemoN "on" at all times and simple toggle its power with the switch. That way when it is off the stock NAND would be used and when you flip the switch and it comes on it is already in DemoN mode and uses its NAND. There might be issues with that though. It depends how the DemoN toggles the NANDs. If simply having the DemoN on causes the Xbox to use its NAND then that would work fine, but if it changes something electrically when you hit the switch then more would be required.

Last edited:

Steel City Mods

VIP Member
May 30, 2012
USA
You need to use a relay to do what youre trying to do.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
How come, I'm pretty sure it will work fine with just a DPDT switch. Or were you talking about the DemoN part?

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Actually I see how a relay would make more sense, but do you know a point I could tap into on the CR3 or DemoN that is for the light (or something else simple) which could act as the signal?

Dublicious

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2012
Modding on 22's
Do you guys remember that post awhile back that Xecuter made about WTF? It was a sort of caddy on the fan side of the slim... I wonder if this ( what your talking about ) is already in the works? Hmmmm

It was when the LTU pcb was first announced "1 drive to rule them all"

Dub-Stepping this message via Tapatalk!

Last edited:

oblivioncth

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2012
Yea it was one of those off handed "announcements" that goes nowhere until BLAM release. I remember that now. It is possible that is what that was.

ezzda1

VIP Member
Jul 8, 2009
Bolton, UK
Wtf if I remember right was for slims. No mention of phat consoles no pic of a phat console with one on, it was just a picture of something on the side of a slim.
Besides for slim consoles we have a dual hdd solution with the internal memory mod. But there's nothing whatsoever for phat consoles.

Dublicious

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2012
Modding on 22's
Who knows WTF may still be in the works and maybe just maybe ported over to phats... Dont ever doubt the abilities of TX ever! :)

Dub-Stepping this message via Tapatalk!