Damaged Board during RGH install

matt.zepess

Jul 28, 2016
Let me just start off by saying, i know how to solder decently and ive done mods before like downgrading a ps3 and such. But after reading the nand and writing the ecc and then installing the cr4 i couldnt boot into xell, So i went ahead and checked all my points and redid my shottier ones... We can say that didnt end well, since 2 pads came off (The green E, And the blue D) I found a alt point for the decent alt point for the green wire and a bad one for the blue (Its a small resistor on the top of the board) i got a good visual connection and now i cant even turn it on because it instant red lights. So what should i do? I tried what other people have said like scraping off where the pad was and soldering to the underneath but cant get solder to stick. Am I just screwed? do i need a new trinity board and dvd drive? If someone has a good deal on one, or is willing to fix mine that would be great. Photos will be up tomorrow (Too dark to get a good photo)

Cyke12

Noob Account
Apr 12, 2015
Australia
Show pics of soldering, then ppl. can give a more detailed response
EDIT: My bad, re-read and noticed that you destroyed the green (E) point, not POST.
The E point itself can still be re-used, if you're savvy enough to scrape off the trace running to it, and soldering directly to it. Same goes for CPU_RST, I think.

As for the 360 giving a red light on the ROL board/PSU, check for solder splashes/broken components (resistors, caps), traces etc. on the board, any of these can cause a short/damaged connection, and your xbox will refuse to run.

Also, if your solder isn't sticking, use flux, and lots of it. Scratching the point up with a screwdriver/knife etc. before soldering can help remove a little bit of soldermask, which allows the solder to stick more easily.

Last edited:

djcraze90

Feb 2, 2016
I had something similar happen to me (immediate red ring). I would unsolder everything and try turning the console on. Once I unsoldered everything my console was fine. So I had some faulty connection somewhere or an accidental bridge. Just something to try so you can confirm if it's actually bricked.

matt.zepess

Jul 28, 2016
0728161921.jpg0728161922.jpg0728161950.jpg0728161950b.jpg0728161951.jpg0728161951a.jpg0728161951b.jpg0728161951c.jpg0728161952.jpg0728161956.jpg
Heres some photos, Solder job was pretty clean until it didnt work, Then like i said it got messy and im 99% sure its dead. Cleaned any traces and made sure they were connected good, Disconnected the 5v wire from the cr4 and reflashed my nand to factory in hopes of getting it back to stock atleast but no luck. The Blue wire seems to be completely dead, I think i scraped off too much, The yellow might be salvagable, but i may of scratched the board in general while messing with the blue wire. I think the yellow nand wire is loose too from the jr programmer, But too afraid to resolder it on since its still connected and dont want to mess with it if the pad is loose. I also threw a photo of the dvd drive Which model is that?, If its completely screwed can someone refer me to someone with a trinity board i can buy? Or a bare slim console for cheap.

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
You don't have to fix the yellow point you can just use a postfix adapter the green wire is shorting at least three pads together unsolder it as for the blue send it to someone who can fix it

Cyke12

Noob Account
Apr 12, 2015
Australia
From the looks of things, you'd be best to either throw the board away, or give it to a professional who can repair the broken pads.
Correct me if i'm wrong here, but it doesn't look like you used flux either, no wonder you ripped the pads off.

briggs01

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2013
you say you have done soldering before , not on these boards you haven't mate , you need to get some old boards and practice , not being nasty but this is bad , first pic and second pic you don't even have the jumper set on the cr4 you also need to read more
you are leaving the iron on the pads too long

Attachments

Last edited:

djcraze90

Feb 2, 2016
Do you have solder splashes on your board or is that just the lighting? Because if you have solder splashes, I'm confident that's your problem.

matt.zepess

Jul 28, 2016
@Cyke12 I used plenty of flux, I cleaned the remainder off when checking my connections before i noticed xell wouldnt boot. If you look real hard you can see some residue left over.

@Mikaz Ive been soldering for a few years now, Like i said before the job was pretty clean until i got tired and frustrated and started lifting the pads.

@Briggs01 Your right on that one, Didnt even know about that jumper, Can you point me to a good tutorial... ive read a ton of them but i dont remember anyone talking about that. Also I had the fan connected when i attempted to boot into xell, I took it off again to check all of my points.

@PlayingMax I got the message, We will talk on there.

@Djcraze90 No solder splashes, Ive heard in other post that the instant red light is usually a case of the blue wire being messed up.

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
The tutorial is always different as each xbox motherboard type is different, I suggest you keep reading.

This is what the jumper should look like keep it at 0 (default) as the other points are for fine tuning

download.png

matt.zepess

Jul 28, 2016
Alright, Ive decided to retire this board and try again. My plan is to quit when i feel frustrated and use a smaller solder tip with slightly lower temperatures. also, Is a qsb worth it? Any good sites to buy them without the crazy modchipcentral shipping fees? Dont care if its snail mail, Just paying $9-15 for shipping is a bit crazy. Any other items i need?