Dedicated Game Server for the 360

digitaljesus

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2010
OK Guys & Girls.....I've been doing alot of research on the subject, and I absolutely refuse to take NO as an answer. :) With that in mind, I'm sort of brainstorming on possible "What If's, and How To's," on the subject-matter at hand.

i.e., I'm trying to create a DEDICATED game server for Xbox 360's. The applications for this project are massive IMO and I think it'd be worth brainstorming to see what solutions (if any) we can come up with.

my background: I currently work in IT-related industry, providing InfoSec services to a wide-variety of individuals. A computer (or Xbox 360) is only as smart as its programmer. The 360 is essentially nothing more than a motherboard, dvd player, hdd, usb ports, and a RJ-45 jack......

AKA: a computer.......

As I searched the web for an answer, I came across a multitude of them ---- However I don't much care for being told the many ways how I can't do something......especially since a computer is nothing more than a dumb machine. It does what it's told, and it's told to run a game........

Could it be possible do to the following:

1. Integrate/Bridge/Attach/Solder your Xbox 360 motherboard to that of the dedicated server?

i.e., half 360 / half (LOCAL) server.

2. hijack the current programming string that tells your 360 what Xbox Live address to Poll/Ping/Connect to.

i.e., When you power on your console or insert a game disc you are generally presented with the option to connect to XBL. Instead of connecting to XBL, I want to "designate," a specific IP to connect to

Impossibilities aside, if we can figure out this problem we can bring Peer-2-Peer (organized gaming) to Modders, Flashers, Hackers, an Indie/Unerground/Pro Gamers alike.

marshamods

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2010
ohio
not on a retail xbox 360 console. But on a jtag or dev kit the possiblites are endless.

Jun 4, 2010
I'd love to see a server capable of allowing 360 & PS3 gamers to play against each other. Now that would be fun ...

jfelding

VIP Member
Feb 9, 2010
Denmark

jorgesalas831

VIP Member
Aug 2, 2010
California
yea i agree that will take a lot of work and dedication so don't give up your hard work might pay off once you accomplish with your server

Jun 4, 2010
Most of the Wii games platform is different from that on the 360 or PS3 so I wouldn't worry about that. But if you look at the other two main consoles, almost 99% of the games that are made for one are also made available for the other.

I personally would even pay subscription to be able to play against other platform players.

01chris02

Mar 27, 2010
N. Ireland
I'm no expert but...

If there was a way to access the bios chip on the motherboard and change the code so that the 1st boot device was a usb stick then it would definitely be possible. You could have the whole operating system on the stick and modify it from there. :)

Just a theory though.. B-)

jorgesalas831

VIP Member
Aug 2, 2010
California
YUP its possible just takes lots of time and brains and dedication to accomplish something like that

digitaljesus

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2010
I just wanted to let you guys & girls here at Team Xecuter know that I have made headway on creating a "custom," dedicated xbox live server.

The answer came in the form of a "seminar," from Microsoft. It's not for the technically faint-at-heart, and should only be attempted by those who have prior knowledge working with such.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6CBED955-7119-4E18-8EB8-AB61DBB5D4B4&amp%3Bdisplaylang=en

Things to note: a jtag is optional, as the problem exists on the server, not the client-side..
permission from the game developer IS (i.e., I would need to know THEIR TITLE Server's address so I can have mine redirect to it) In my experience, this is the only benefit to be gained from a JTAG as it exposes the otherwise "hidden," network VPN connectivity used in establishing a connection with xbox live.

I simply wanted to let the users of this board & Team Xecuter products know that the possibility of these dedicated server concepts is more real than you know. Our biggest hurdle is going to be the cost of hosting, and the physical cost of bandwidth that our service is going to be utilizing.

i.e., let's say I made a custom Halo: Reach server to play online. a) I'd need bungie to give me the address of their title servers. This way when my data center is turned on, it can communicate with Xbox Live and let it know that it is a valid host of said game title in order to let people connect to it and use it for their sessions.

The number of users able to connect to a given session is directly related to the amount of bandwidth a user consumes, and the PING relating to the time it takes your 360 to send & receive a given packet. In a nutshell, the more bandwidth I have available to my server, the better. Because of this, places like godaddy.com won't be your best bet for setting up a XBL server. I already own several older model servers that aren't quite ready to retire. If you are interested in having me set up a custom server for your usage do the following:

1. NAME YOUR GAME TITLES YOU WANT TO BE HOSTED. (at most, I'll host 5 or so due to the bandwidth restrictions).
2. SEND DONATIONS!!! (any donations received will directly go toward the purchase of more bandwidth to host our dedicated servers).

Last edited:

rockpizzle

May 22, 2007
vancouver bc
and why is this any better then the one person host match setup we have now which is free and runs stable.the ping limiter has been released.i dont really see much of a point,the actual cost associated with renting a dedicated server for just one game is like 300 a month not best package available and this is for pc games.not trying to knock your idea,just giving some input

digitaljesus

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2010
The answer, guys & girls ;) is what is otherwise known is the "Xbox Live Server Platform (XLSP)"....

Results here:

Essentially, it allows game developers to create "dedicated servers," for their games.

i.e., gears of war has their own dedicated server (title server).......

and unfortunately, that's the part that people don't want to hear.

The PROBLEM inherent (at least in the mind of its users) is that everybody wants that uber badass broadband connection......but that's only half of the story.

bandwidth= the total upload & download power of your internet connection.
PING= how long it takes your packet to reach its destination, and return to you (similar to postal mail)

the true problem that most people experience is PING. The problem (and reason) they get this is b/c you might not be as close to the host (title server) as you'd like.

Xbox Live IS a server (of sorts).....but honestly you can think of it more along the lines of a proprietary proxy server (i.e., freeproxyserver.net). Your 360 uses a VPN connection that it establishes with this "proxy," aka Live. Live then will connect you to your respective title servers as their corresponding discs are inserted and features of the LIVE service(proxy) are invoked.

It really gets a bit sick, disgusting, and overly excessive as to the many ways that Microsoft has found to capitalize and spank the electronic markets ;) good on them for making a sound product that people want, like, need, or give-a-sh*t about though :p