RGH DemoN NAND Not Starting Up.

gamerman56

Aug 6, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
So about 5 years ago, I got my Xbox 360 set up with a DemoN dual NAND. However, I was just learning to solder at the time so I sent it in instead of doing it myself. When I got it, it seemed a little slow booting at first/would need to be unplugged and then plugged back in before powering up again. I thought this was just related to imperfections in the methods as they were relatively new at the time. However, I just plugged it in again today (after probably 3-ish years of not using the DemoN NAND) and decided it was time to back up some games, as I lost a few somewhere while moving. The first boot worked flawlessly in a matter of seconds. At shut down, it wouldn't turn on, just beep, so I plugged it in again and it worked. After the second time, it won't turn on any more, only play the sound effect when the power or eject buttons are touched. The weird thing is that my Stock NAND works perfectly, so I'm assuming this would be a bad flash/a wire might be loose. It is, I believe, a Corona built in 10/2012. I think the guy used a Coolrunner Rev C, but I am not sure. I do have backups of my CPU, DVD, and Fuse keys/codes in case those would be useful. Thanks for any help/questions!

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Since the stock / retail NAND appears to work fine (blue light OFF on the DemoN switch), the first thing I would do is try and read it and then build a fresh glitch image to write to the DemoN NAND. You may need to write a XeLL ECC image to the DemoN NAND first so you can boot XeLL to get the CPU key (required for image building).

Can you upload photos of the DemoN / CR installation please?

gamerman56

Aug 6, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Will do! I need to get a new T8 screwdriver so I should have that by Sunday at the latest. In the meantime, I have my CPU key backed up so I'll try and reflash the NAND.

Edit: In the meantime, I ran J-Runner and found that the Stock NAND has too many bad blocks, but the DemoN NAND is fine.

Corona v2 Glitch 2 DemoN
Code:
===================================================Friday, August 25, 2017 6:19:40 PM

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (7) Started

WARNING! - Your selected working directory already contains files!
You can view these files by using 'Show Working Folder' Button

Connection Error
Checking Files
Connection Error
Corona Manually Selected
Glitch Selected
Reading Nand to C:\Users\admin\Downloads\j-runner v3 (beta 7)\output\output\nanddump1.bin
DEMON
Hardware   : Demon Slim
Firmware   : 1.0
Flash ID   : 0x73AD Hynix (16MiB - Small block)
Flash Size : 0x400 blocks of 0x4200 bytes
Reading Nand
Done!
in 0:27 min:sec

Reading Nand to C:\Users\admin\Downloads\j-runner v3 (beta 7)\output\output\nanddump2.bin
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Corona
Glitch2 Selected
Nand Initialization Finished
Reading Nand
Done!
in 0:27 min:sec

Comparing...
Nands are the same
Stock CB 13182
Code:
===================================================
Friday, August 25, 2017 6:21:59 PM

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (7) Started

WARNING! - Your selected working directory already contains files!
You can view these files by using 'Show Working Folder' Button

Connection Error
Checking Files
Connection Error
Corona Manually Selected
Current: DemoN
Switching to XBOX
Reading Nand to C:\Users\admin\Downloads\j-runner v3 (beta 7)\output\output\nanddump1.bin
XBOX360
Hardware   : Demon Slim
Firmware   : 1.0
Flash ID   : 0x73AD Hynix (16MiB - Small block)
Flash Size : 0x400 blocks of 0x4200 bytes
Reading Nand
Done!
in 0:28 min:sec

Reading Nand to C:\Users\admin\Downloads\j-runner v3 (beta 7)\output\output\nanddump2.bin
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Header is wrong..
Reading Nand
Done!
in 0:26 min:sec

Comparing...
Too Many Bad Blocks
Too Many Bad Blocks
Nands are the same
I can create an ECC with the DemoN NAND but not the Stock NAND.
Anything else I should try to help flash it while I wait for the screwdriver?

Edit 2: Found a clean dump online and used the smc from that along with my kv and fcrt from demon nand to create an image without nanddump but console still only makes sounds on DemoN NAND. So between that and the bad blocks, I'm guessing something went wrong with wiring.

Edit 3: After multiple years and re-flash attempts, I finally (and stupidly) realized that the DemoN chip has no GND wire going to it. The thread I used seems to have been deleted since the last time, but now I'm wondering if the guy who did it cut more corners also.

Last edited:

gamerman56

Aug 6, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
So I was finally able to get the things needed to get the case opened. It definitely looks like there may be a grounding issue somewhere for the DemoN or a issue with the STBY_CLK? (Editing wouldn't let add pictures, so sorry for the double post.)
CRGND.jpgCRwiring.jpgDemonInstall.jpgdemonoutside.jpgFullMB.jpgWire.jpg

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
There is no standby_clk on coronas, so no worry there. If you are talking about the ground wire on the external board, that wouldnt stop the console from booting. If your console boots fine on stock, but doesnt do anything at all on the demon, and you are getting nand read errors on stock, you need to check the nand points from the demon to the actual nand chip on the top of the board. I am betting there is a cold joint. Out of curiousity, did you try it with the board out of the case? I had issues with one shorting on the case once, that would cause similar issues.

Reactions: gamerman56

gamerman56

Aug 6, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Trying to read the Nand from out of the case, or booting? I can try either and see if it helps! Also, is there a diagram of the Nand Points for Corona as I can only seem to find them for Trinity? Or are they similar? Once I find those, I'll check them out! (My bad, I might have been thinking something else, did you mean check each individual wire connection from DemoN/Coolrunner to the motherboard or specific points on the motherboard that would connect to the Nand chip?)

Last edited: