GENERAL DemoN Phat ribbon cable replacement?

aaronouthier

Apr 17, 2015
California
Ok, so I bought a PHAT demon kit about 4 years ago, and opened it, but never took the time to install it. I have all of the included PCBs, including the DemoN itself, the QSB, the CR3 adapter, and the front panel button with Mini-USB port. I'm going to be using a CR4 that I bought about 4-6 years ago. (It's been so long, that I don't recall exactly HOW long ago it has been). Anywho, I realized I seem to have misplaced the two ribbon cables that came with it. I see several eBay sellers that will custom-make cables with the number of wires/lanes and length desired. Now, I'm just wondering: 1. What are the chances these would work? 2. How many wires/lanes do I need, and what lengths?

Any other thoughts on this?

P.S.: Don't worry about asking for photos of my install - I haven't done the install yet...

Oggy

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Mar 1, 2010
You can count how many 'wires' it needs by counting the pins on the header it connects to.

Length?

Measure how you want to route it

aaronouthier

Apr 17, 2015
California
Just wire it in. I've done it when I don't have a ribbon cable
Just wire what in, and how? I don't understand this comment.

On a side note: I bought a new DemoN for my PHAT, but I still have the pieces to the old one, except the 2 ribbon cables. I bought it thinking I would just look at the cables, and make 100% sure that I order the correct replacements online. That's fine, I may still do so. However, now I am wondering: is there a workaround for not having the cables. I am quite certain my soldering expert can just run individual wires from the pads on the DemoN, to the Pads on the CR4. That will take care of the one ribbon cable. The Wire going to the Sync port can be used to switch NANDs, but then I'm wondering how I can read & write the NANDs with the system closed? On the one hand, I have the v3 QSBs for a PHAT and an External Adaptor, or I can try just running a MicroUSB cable under the board and out the front? What are the chances either of those would work as a substitute?
Just wire what in, and how? I don't understand this comment.
I am quite certain my soldering expert can just run individual wires from the pads on the DemoN, to the Pads on the CR4. That will take care of the one ribbon cable.
Oops, I think I answered one of my own questions already...

aaronouthier

Apr 17, 2015
California
Well, so far no response. Either nobody has an answer, or nobody understood the question.

I don’t believe that I’ll be able to use the front panel connection to switch NANDs or to Read and Write them, since I have lost the two ribbon cables that come with the PHAT DemoN. I am wondering about other options.

I am aware that I can just solder wires in between my DemoN and my CR4 to replace that particular ribbon. I will certainly try that.

I don’t want to ruin yet another board, so I’ll try rephrasing my questions to be more concise:

1) Is it a possible to use v3 QSBs in conjunction with a PHAT DemoN to read and write the NAND, and omit the front panel connection? I am aware that I would need to solder in and use the Sync wire to switch the NAND in use.

2) Is it possible to run a MicroUSB from the DemoN to the outside of the case for the purpose of interfacing with the DemoN to read and write the NAND?